General Category > Other Parks

Former Schlitterbahn KC exec charged with manslaughter

<< < (2/5) > >>

Swoosh:
Full indictment: http://www.kansascity.com/latest-news/article206611679.ece/BINARY/Read%20the%20full%20Schlitterbahn%20corporation%20indictment#storylink=readmore_inline

HumphreyHawk:
Here is what I'm reading....just in the first 16 of 47 pages....

Decided to build the slide to while talking to the travel channel producers (to impress them)
Hired unqualified engineers because qualifed ones would make the ride boring
Skipped details of the math due to rushed timeline and relied on trail-and-error methods
Ride had to have lots of speed....needed for it to look good on TV
Builder knew the rafts went airborne before it opened...with videos
Slide was redesigned with this issue observed on heavier riders throughout all the testing
Park saw the situation as a 'arms race' against other waterparks...an ego boast for the Kansas park
admitted that they ignored safety high standards in an effort to be a industry changer
The designer was afraid for his own life on the ride
and on and on and on...

Needs to be more than one person in jail.

I know it's armchair quarterbacking at this point...but as I said in previous posts.  One look at this ride I knew it was stupid and dangerous.  I'll never go to one of there parks.

Swoosh:
This indictment doesn’t even include the accidents that have happened on Mighty MO and King Kaw.  Lots of concussions from riders being thrown from tubes hitting their heads on the walls and floors.

HumphreyHawk:
Just finished it.....horrific.  This needs to be well documented as a case study for the betterment of the amusement park industry.  Get some lessons learned from it to prevent from happening again.

I don't think they ever wanted to kill someone but what I just read was damning.  It was only a matter of time and they didn't seem to care.  Ride should have never opened and there is no doubt is shouldn't have kept running after all those injuries.

HumphreyHawk:

--- Quote from: Swoosh on March 24, 2018, 11:18:46 PM ---This indictment doesn’t even include the accidents that have happened on Mighty MO and King Kaw.  Lots of concussions from riders being thrown from tubes hitting their heads on the walls and floors.

--- End quote ---

Those homemade rides too?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version