Author Topic: There's No Busyness Like School Busyness  (Read 5558 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
There's No Busyness Like School Busyness
« on: July 05, 2017, 11:43:41 AM »
My newest book focuses on teaching.  I've collected my thoughts and reflections into one volume for educators - There's NO Busyness Like School Busyness​.  A majority of the text has been completed and is currently being proofread and edited.  I hope to offer this book online before school begins.

In this volume, I go all the way back to the beginning, when I had to interview for my first teaching job in Oklahoma.  I talk about the journey from that first class in the inner city, through my experience with the terrorist bombing four and a half miles from our class, and the 2011 EF5 tornado that cut our school year short in Joplin.

While short accounts of those events are part of School Busyness, they are not the focus of the book.  Instead, I wanted to share some of the lessons I've learned in the last 27 years - the ups and the downs.  In fact, the book begins with this:

After nearly 30 years as an educator, after experiencing many ups and downs, I set fingers on the keyboard and intentionally pattered out some wisdom that I hope makes sense.  Whether you’ve been in the classroom for a quarter century or you’re just starting out, you should find something here that will help you along the journey.

There was a time when I was ready to leave – actually a couple of times if we’re being honest.  I had heard about teachers hitting a wall, being burned out, leaving the profession prematurely.  I had heard the short longevity for teaching, and I vowed to never let that happen to me.

But it happened.

And it happened at a very inopportune time.

I had been teaching for two decades.  It was too late to start over, and too early to retire.  I was invested in a profession I loved, and it had become a profession I despised.

This book is intended to make teachers think and give them some practical tips and ideas to help them develop their teaching muscles.  Hopefully many will find it useful and maybe even motivating.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: There's No Busyness Like School Busyness
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 08:02:12 PM »
I'll tell you what - getting out of public school into private was the best choice I've made in s long time.  All of the crap you have to deal with in public (NCLB, EOC, IEP, 504, etc) are gone. Poof. Stress levels are much lower.
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 10:59:24 AM »
I'll tell you what - getting out of public school into private was the best choice I've made in s long time.  All of the crap you have to deal with in public (NCLB, EOC, IEP, 504, etc) are gone. Poof. Stress levels are much lower.

I imagine the parents were also a lot easier to deal with since you had a lot more leverage on them than in public schools (don't like it?  to bad, get out!)  :-)

Biggest issue in our neck of the woods there is the pay is nowhere close, and the admins at the relatively close private schools leave some to be desired.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 11:14:31 AM »
Here are the "chapter" titles for There's No Busyness Like School Busyness:

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 09:39:01 PM »

I imagine the parents were also a lot easier to deal with since you had a lot more leverage on them than in public schools (don't like it?  to bad, get out!)  :-)

Biggest issue in our neck of the woods there is the pay is nowhere close, and the admins at the relatively close private schools leave some to be desired.

Well you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and you have the facts of life.
Really the only issue I had was dealing with some entitled kids.  They soon found out I was one of the stricter teachers in the school and don't mess around.  I really love how we use demerit cards.  There's no grey areas.  10 on a card and once the card is full you get a "Breakfast Club" on Saturday.  50 total demerits, you lose your parking pass privledges. 80 total demerits, Helloooo public school.   
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 02:52:42 PM »
Look what came in the mailbox, today!