General Category > Dollywood Discussion

Lighting Rod's Continued Issues

(1/7) > >>

shavethewhales:
So the park is now in full swing with the true start of summer coming fast this weekend, and Lighting Rod is still not fixed. If anything, it almost sounds like it has gotten worse with the way people have been complaining. I really thought they were going to hit this thing hard through the winter and have it running at least most of the time this season. I'm sure they tried, but it seems like there's no hope for this thing. There's a rumor going around that they will change it to a chain lift for the 2018 season.

I know there are all kinds of technical challenges that we can't even dream of, but I can't help but keep thinking that it shouldn't be so hard to add a launch to anything in this day and age. The material that the support structure is made out of really shouldn't make much of a difference, especially with RMC's designs where you could add a lot of steel in one part and no one could tell the difference. I've heard that one of the issues is the heat that the launch system produces and how they have to control it due to the wood structure - but couldn't they replace the wood with steel in the areas that are most affected? I'm sure that's a gross oversimplification, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

They say that in a few years this will all blow over like TTD, but I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. CP has so many coasters and TTD was such a huge outlandish thing at the time that no one was too surprised when it had issues. This is DW where they previously had a sterling reputation for ride operations, and this is supposed to be a big feature of the park. It's going to leave a bad taste in people's mouths even years down the road.

And just to run this long post even longer: the fallout is really adding up over this. The poor reviews of DW that have been coming out really show that the park is now truly dependent on the operation of it's rides. Fewer people than ever care about the crafts, shows, and charm. If LR isn't open, and one of the other coasters is down then most people seem to think the day is ruined. Back when they had just a couple of coasters it was no big deal when a ride had to close because that wasn't the sole focus of the park... Crazy how much has changed in just over a decade.

Tmboote:
At least this site hasn't turned into TPR where we get hourly Lightning Rod updates ;D

But I also don't understand what is so much more difficult about a launch on wood versus a launch on steel, especially considering how much technology has advanced since the first launched coaster over twenty years ago.

sdcfan88:
I am really surprised with Hershend's past history working with S&S (e.g. Powderkeg) They didn't simply use that same launch system. If they do decide to remove the launch than I will definitely have to endeavor to make a trip out that way to ride it before they change it. At SDC I only got to ride Buzzsaw Falls once before it got changed to Powderkeg. I am thinking this coaster is Dollywoods Buzzsaw Falls, unfortunately.

sirwillow:
You know the park management isn't enjoying this any more than anyone else either.  Truly aggravating for them as well.

Looks like we're going to actually be able to make a trip out there at the beginning of August, so now I'm really hoping they can get it sorted out and working by then.  Especially if it's a heat issue, as that wouldn't indicate good things for the time of our planned trip.  Here's to hoping...

Dewayne:
First CC closed, which made SDC behind DW on upgrades/new rides. With LR not working for a while, I think this is SDC's chance to get ahead of DW. Less people will go to DW because they know they wont be able to ride the new coaster and they will be going to SDC for new rides instead. This is your chance SDC! Dont screw it up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version