Author Topic: The Branson Shuffle starts early  (Read 19396 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: The Branson Shuffle starts early
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2016, 08:40:41 PM »
I'm curious why they haven't built a theatre big enough to handle traveling Broadway shows and live concerts.  The Grand Palace could have filled that need but it's pretty much beyond repair by now

What number of seats is needed? The Mansion seats 3000.

It's the stage height and depth that is the main problem. 
However most theatres that host touring shows are at least double that if not more.
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2016, 07:58:33 AM »

However most theatres that host touring shows are at least double that if not more.

Juanita Hammons hall in Springfield, which does host some of the traveling shows, seats 2264 people.  The theater we would go watch similar shows in Tampa when they rolled through (their theater for performing arts) was under 2000.

And the Kaufman theater in KC, which is hosting Phantom of the Opera early next year, seats only 1800.  So that's not true in many cases.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »

Juanita Hammons hall in Springfield, which does host some of the traveling shows, seats 2264 people.  The theater we would go watch similar shows in Tampa when they rolled through (their theater for performing arts) was under 2000.

And the Kaufman theater in KC, which is hosting Phantom of the Opera early next year, seats only 1800.  So that's not true in many cases.

Would the Andy Williams Theatre be large enough?  I haven't been there in years, but it seemed to hold quite a few people and the stage seemed large then. 

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2016, 10:37:22 AM »

Would the Andy Williams Theatre be large enough?  I haven't been there in years, but it seemed to hold quite a few people and the stage seemed large then.

I'm not sure if it's stage is large enough.  It seats about 2,000, but I'm not sure how roomy the stage is exactly.  But there are theaters that could do it.

The White House theater maybe.  It's production of Marco Polo was close, but again I'm not quite sure if it's a big enough stage.  It's close though.  The Mansion possibly.  I'm sure the Grand Palace could, but don't know that they'll ever actually reopen it - though with the recent purchase there's hope.  I know it tried to do some similar things there before, but it's possible it could be made to work.

Sight and Sound has shown that it's feasible to run a theater in Brandon doing those kinds of big productions.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2016, 12:38:32 PM »
Sometimes it is the Depth of the stage that matters. I know the Fox in St. Louis upgraded several years ago because a lot of shows were to big for the depth of the stage. Most stages in Branson are not built for these types of shows. It would be nice if some investor would see the potential and build a Broadway touring capable venue.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2016, 03:20:27 PM »
RFD seats about 2500 (i think), 
stage there is very large.  deep, wide and tall...   
I realize not enough seats for BIG names...... 
BUT.........

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2016, 03:32:38 PM »
Don't overlook the theater on the PSU campus, (Pittsburg, Kansas).  They are hosting a number of traveling shows from Broadway.  I helped unload the Lion King set and put it together, last year, before dressing some of the actors backstage for the actual performances.  I'm not sure of the shows for '17, but they were fully attended, this year.  The theater has all of the amenities for these big shows.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2016, 06:33:54 PM »
Don't overlook the theater on the PSU campus, (Pittsburg, Kansas).  They are hosting a number of traveling shows from Broadway.  I helped unload the Lion King set and put it together, last year, before dressing some of the actors backstage for the actual performances.  I'm not sure of the shows for '17, but they were fully attended, this year.  The theater has all of the amenities for these big shows.

The issue with the SMS and PSU theatres are they are usually very short stays.  Maybe one weekend at max. 
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2016, 07:40:44 PM »
The issue with the SMS and PSU theatres are they are usually very short stays.  Maybe one weekend at max. 
Maybe that effects the price of the shows.  As stated Wicked was quite high, I dont pay that much in Chicago.  I would love to see shows go into Branson, it seems like a good fit if they had the stage for it.  If they could do 75-125 a ticket (cheaper in the bleeds) I think they could fill them with a good show with a semi limited run.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2016, 10:43:37 PM »
I pay $75-80 per ticket at the Fox for my seats per show.
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2016, 06:39:13 AM »
I pay $75-80 per ticket at the Fox for my seats per show.
Thats not bad for a good show, in fact depending on seats its pretty cheap

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2016, 06:06:57 AM »
Announced today!!   Six!! is moving to The Hughes Brothers.. 

I for one am very surprised at this decsion... 

they will have m-w-f at 8,  and t-th-s at 2..

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2016, 06:57:33 AM »
Wait... Wuh???  Ok, had to drop over to their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SixBros/?fref=ts
And they have the announcement there announcing the move and the times for next year.  In digging through the comments, you can see why.

Apparently Mickey Gilley has sold the theater (no surprise there) but it wasn't to the Knudsen's (that's a surprise, as I thought they had a plan in place for them to buy it).  And with the new owners coming in, that meant that SIX was out.  So they're going back to where they started.

I'm honestly shocked.  I thought that SIX was in the process of buying the theater from Gilley.  I wonder what happened to that plan and what caused it to fall through and go to other new owners instead.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2016, 08:02:24 AM »
Wait... Wuh???  Ok, had to drop over to their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SixBros/?fref=ts
And they have the announcement there announcing the move and the times for next year.  In digging through the comments, you can see why.

Apparently Mickey Gilley has sold the theater (no surprise there) but it wasn't to the Knudsen's (that's a surprise, as I thought they had a plan in place for them to buy it).  And with the new owners coming in, that meant that SIX was out.  So they're going back to where they started.

I'm honestly shocked.  I thought that SIX was in the process of buying the theater from Gilley.  I wonder what happened to that plan and what caused it to fall through and go to other new owners instead.

Uh..!?   Yes there are several details that will come out about this move..  Lots of questions will be asked now.  may get answers... may not.
With empty theatres I am surprised also.  Lots of other options, The Americana would have been a good one for them.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 08:05:00 AM by sanddunerider »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2016, 09:42:17 AM »
With empty theatres I am surprised also.  Lots of other options, The Americana would have been a good one for them.

it's to small for them.  They need more seating and a bigger stage than what the Americana has.

What will be interesting is to see where AYO/ Voices of Glory end up, as Six/ Hughes Brothers will essentially be taking their time slots and splitting them between the two.  I can see them at the Americana if they can get someone else to share it with them.  Or a couple of the other theaters in town that need something.

Hate seeing RFD theater sitting empty.