Author Topic: Pure Heart  (Read 8435 times)

pintrader

Re: Pure Heart
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 07:23:33 PM »
Just read that Pure Heart isn't going to be at the City any longer.   Why is that?

Didn't they have to replace one of the singers late last season and then for this season?  While I enjoy a good "chain saw" imitation, it's probably time for a new act to come in.

I think you might be thinking of the Sons of the Silver Dollar.  They had one of their members retire, and then the replacement for them didn't work out and they had to find another one while the "retired" member came back for just a bit until they did.

Pure Heart is 3 sisters and they are still together and still singing together.  Actually saw them at our local 4th of July event here in Crane, where they are from, and all 3 were there singing.  When I talked to them there was no mention of one of them being replaced at all.

sirwillow, it was on the "You Know Your From SDC" Facebook page that someone mentioned Pure Heart wasn't coming back.

I know they are not there, and I saw that discussion.  I was referring to the "reason" why there weren't coming back.  I don't believe that the explanation that one of them left is correct.  I'm pretty sure that someone got Sons of the Silver Dollar and Pure Heart mixed up and misapplied the confusion over the SSD member to why Pure Heart didn't return.

Pure Heart replaced one of their singers after the 2014 season if I remember correctly.  The new singer sang for them all of last year I am pretty sure.   They were never 3 sisters....just 2.....Tonyia and Teresa.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 10:26:07 PM »
That is correct...and the replacement was Jessie Sang GAC shows and also the saloon shows.
Colorado SDC Fan

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 12:02:15 AM »
Has it been that long?  I have to admit I don't follow them (PH) as closely as SotSD.  My father was college roommates with one of the Sons so we're a little more invested with that group. 

I do wish the park would have a "revue" style show like what WOF has in the Moulin Rouge - it could be in Riverfront Playhouse.  The key difference is that their song set changes to fit the festival. 
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 08:27:35 AM »
a "revue" style show like what WOF has in the Moulin Rouge - it could be in Riverfront Playhouse.
This lends itself to really showing off what the park has to offer in entertainment.  You could really run with this premise.
Great idea.  Advertise it in park as a troop traveling through the Ozarks from the city and you could sure scare up a books worth of
content.  Time date the show, please no raining men or modern tunes.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 09:12:51 AM »
It's a shame in how much the City fails with entertainment when those of us who have been visiting for a while know how well they can do.  There were always full shows for things like the Melvin the Chicken Thief Show, the Hoedown Show, the Boxing Show, The Hatfield Haint, etc.  Granted they do have some entertaining acts during the festivals but if you go at non-festival (a usually less crowded time to visit) the choices are poor.  Of course I was happy to see Mean Murphy return they do need a new script for it.  How about bringing back Buffalo Fred and the Wild West Show to the Saloon?  In my opinion the biggest fail has been the Cajun Connection.  They went from a quaint, no-frills Cajun music and comedy show to a Broadway-like production with a rare Cajun tune thrown in.  They used to be my wife's favorite show but now we avoid them like a Louisiana gator.
I'm Your Huckleberry

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 10:31:21 AM »
We really like Pure Heart's Christmas show but to be honest we are tired of the chainsaw. Haven't been to their regular show in a long time but occasionally stopped to hear a song if they were performing at the Gazebo or Boatworks. We are beyond tired of the Cajun Connection. Surely there are other groups that could be brought in to provide entertainment. We do like the rides including the coasters but we have had to cut back due to some temporary physical issues. If the number of shows continues to go down, we will probably cease to buy season passes, and we have been season pass holders for over 15 years.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 01:37:53 PM »
Doesn't sound like Cajun Connection will be back next year.  After yet another member announced he is retiring this past week, that makes only 2 remaining original members.  Also the leader is rather busy and is back home in Louisana helping out with the flood recovery with his extended family. 

Dockside would be a great place for a new act - a Dixieland Jazz ensemble would be fun here and sort of fit the theme. 
SWOOSH

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 02:38:42 PM »
I hope it just doesn't sit empty.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2016, 02:57:42 PM »
Doesn't sound like Cajun Connection will be back next year.  After yet another member announced he is retiring this past week, that makes only 2 remaining original members.  Also the leader is rather busy and is back home in Louisana helping out with the flood recovery with his extended family. 

Dockside would be a great place for a new act - a Dixieland Jazz ensemble would be fun here and sort of fit the theme.

I would go see that!
I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2016, 06:09:43 PM »
I hope it just doesn't sit empty.

Very rarely do the outdoor theatres sit empty.  I could see the Pickers moving full time to the Gazebo Stage.  That would allow for more room and ADA parking for their cult following.  Their Backporch Theatre isn't the easiest to get to and it's sort of hidden.

I could see Sons of the Silver Dollar getting their own specific theatre for the year instead of being bounced around.  They also have a very loyal following.

So that leaves one outdoor theatre to be used by a new act that the city can develop.   Of course, now would be a good time to convert either Boatworks or Dockside into a indoor theatre as well, upgrading the facilities and what not. 
SWOOSH

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2016, 09:35:34 AM »
I'd be okay with the Pickers having a few daily shows at the Gazebo, but there's nothing greater at the park than sitting in that cabin in the evening with the Pickers playing.

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2016, 02:07:52 PM »
I agree with you Gilligan about the  "Homestead" Pickers. If they were always on the Gazebo they wouldn't be true to their name. It is nice to have them at the Gazebo once in a while for special events, but they really like performing without mics and amps better.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2016, 06:13:11 PM »
I agree with you Gilligan about the  "Homestead" Pickers. If they were always on the Gazebo they wouldn't be true to their name. It is nice to have them at the Gazebo once in a while for special events, but they really like performing without mics and amps better.

I suppose this makes us part of the Pickers cult following.   ;D

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2016, 07:19:56 PM »
I could count the number of times I have watched the Pickers on one hand and I've had a season pass for 20 straight seasons now. 
SWOOSH