Author Topic: SDC's 2017 Project Part 2  (Read 108287 times)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2017 Project Part 2
« Reply #165 on: January 24, 2017, 04:49:49 PM »
I know it will not happen, but Mary's Springhouse would be a excellent place for the Upscale Coffee/tea house and roastery.  I have wished for this for years.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #166 on: January 24, 2017, 04:54:59 PM »
I know it will not happen, but Mary's Springhouse would be a excellent place for the Upscale Coffee/tea house and roastery.  I have wished for this for years.

It would be an even better place for a Mexican Subway (like Chipotle).  Don't be shocked if that's what they put there
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #167 on: January 24, 2017, 08:35:17 PM »

It would be an even better place for a Mexican Subway (like Chipotle).  Don't be shocked if that's what they put there

Oh, I hope not.  That is one type of food that SDC does NOT do a good job at.  Their attempt at Mexican food during World Fest was really sad.  I love Mexican food, but would rather they stayed away from it.  Especially since they do so well at so many other foods.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 24, 2017, 08:56:22 PM »
Marias World Famous Buritos "Hand Rolled"tm

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 24, 2017, 09:11:39 PM »

Oh, I hope not.  That is one type of food that SDC does NOT do a good job at.  Their attempt at Mexican food during World Fest was really sad.  I love Mexican food, but would rather they stayed away from it.  Especially since they do so well at so many other foods.

Do you honestly think it's fair to compare a small kitchen's output vs a dedicated kitchen's output?  Asking for a friend. 
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 25, 2017, 08:10:49 AM »

Swoosh is right, mexican food out of a crock pot, served during worlfest at the frisco barn,  would be NOTHIN like food in a restaraunt..   AND  you will have your favorites, and you will have some that you will never touch again.

I would also have to add, should they do a "Chipotle", I for one will not be eating there, They (Chipotle) have advocated for Gun Control, and They do not support The Boy Scout organization. I am enough of a redneck, those 2 reasons, keep me away from any of their stores....  Of course I dont do Starbucks either, for basically the same reason. Something the PTB, may or may not want to think about. :-\

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 25, 2017, 08:14:20 AM »
Do you honestly think it's fair to compare a small kitchen's output vs a dedicated kitchen's output?  Asking for a friend.
When The fall craft festival used to have different foods from across the coutry in the red gold they had southwest.  I used to go specifically for this although the food was ok, they would give you a plate then send you over to a little salad bar that had olives, roasted corn salads and salsas.  Now I am not saying SDC serves great mexican food but with the addition of good toppings you can really improve a dish.  I would put this up against the cheap foot long hot dog with a yukon gold wrapped around then tossed in a deep fryer and not handed over till you pony up 9.50 with tax.
 This condement bar really made the meal.  Then they cut back after a few years and the condoment bar went away.  I did as well.  Then the next year all the food went away.     So SDC CAN pull off a repetable mexican dining experience, but will they?  SDC makes some funny choices when it comes to food, I have much experience in the food industry, mostly feeding large amounts of people quickly at special events so my views are not baseless. SDC used to have a Chef and maybe that wasnt so bad, it seems they need a fresh injection of ideas.  Not only on what to serve but how and the pricing needs work. I still have yet to try crosscrads pizza, why? because they dont do it for one, reasonably.  Missing the boat here.  1 large pizza 8 slices 16.00,  cut that pizza into 6 slices and charge 4.50 a slice = 27.00.  Under this plan I would have tried Crossroads the day it opened and SDC would almost dbl the income per pizza if sold by the slice.  SDC misses the boat sometimes. So SDC CAN serve a good mexican lunch even out of a temp booth in the red gold hall, lets see what they do with a full restaurant.  They CAN, but WILL they?     
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 08:47:28 AM by mhguy77 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 25, 2017, 08:32:07 AM »
@MHguy,,
Next time your in the mood to "try" something different, go to Crossroads and try one of the Calzones, big portion, fair money,  also their salads arent too bad either,

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 25, 2017, 08:51:24 AM »
try one of the Calzones, big portion, fair money,  also their salads arent too bad either,
I will check it out, you know I would lean to the calzome if they really made it unlike the ones they served at worldfest.  The prefab thing makes me run away.  I have the attitude that if institutional is my choice I will wait till I get to  Branson and get a institutional burger for a dollar.  However I will check their salads, I like a good italian or greek salad.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 25, 2017, 08:54:15 AM »
Nothin' says 1880's Ozark Mountain village like a chile relleno or a calzone!

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2017, 09:56:43 AM »

yes, I do.  SDC is known for it's excellent food, and in general that is true.  But there are exceptions. Most of the food sold at the Frisco Barn during World Fest was at least pretty good.  The attempt at Mexican certainly was not.  It wasn't just how it was cooked (btw- it was cooked in the kitchens then moved in the heating trays, not cooked in crock pots), it was also the seasonings and flavorings.

It was true also when they tried similar dishes in the employee cafe, where the food was also usually very good.  (which according to your definition I guess would be a regular kitchen)

It's been very rare for me to find something to eat at SDC that I haven't liked, as the food is almost always excellent. But in various locations and times, they've struck out every time on their attempts at Mexican.  Which is all the worse seeing as I love Mexican food.

This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 25, 2017, 10:04:43 AM »
I still have yet to try crosscrads pizza, why? because they dont do it for one, reasonably.  Missing the boat here.  1 large pizza 8 slices 16.00,  cut that pizza into 6 slices and charge 4.50 a slice = 27.00.  Under this plan I would have tried Crossroads the day it opened and SDC would almost dbl the income per pizza if sold by the slice.

Crossroads is actually a pretty good deal when you have 2-3 other people with you to split a pizza.  And it is all fresh made on the spot.  Nothing frozen or preprepped/ prefabbed.  They make most of them fresh to order, though they will make a few up in advance for orders coming in. It's one reason the lines are a little slow there, but it's worth it.  The pizzas in general there are excellent, and we always enjoyed when we got calzones delivered to the train.

I do agree with you on selling by the slice though.  Still not really sure why they don't, but as busy as it is, it's not hurting them much not to do it.

Actually miss when my son worked at Crossroads as we'd get "leftovers" sometimes. Very nice at the end of a long day.  :)

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 26, 2017, 10:20:03 AM »
Marias World Famous Buritos "Hand Rolled"tm

That sounds like a phrase that would be stolen from Taco Bueno.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 26, 2017, 02:42:43 PM »
That sounds like a phrase that would be stolen from Taco Bueno

That might be the case if it was a place I had eaten or I watched TV and had seen a commercial but I do neither.  That sarcasm is straight from my twisted mind.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
Well since the Park released a photo I guess it's fair game to spill the beans now. 
Much of Midtown area will receive faux building flats made of lights to make the area feel taller at night.  The park posted a test section today on Facebook showing how this will work. 
SWOOSH