Author Topic: Big Boy Seats ...  (Read 4023 times)

t-n-t

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Big Boy Seats ...
« on: June 06, 2016, 08:46:09 PM »
Do you think SDC should invest in having a few of these seats on Wildfire, PK and Outlaw Run?  I have rode all of them but just barely.  Last year I could do wildfire, this year, could not by just a couple of inches.  I would think that with the average american size getting bigger they would at least have some seats that those of us that are a little larger than the rest could also enjoy all the rides or why spend 60$ a day to just walk around?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Big Boy Seats ...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 08:51:39 PM »
I might sound mean, but no. They don't make tiny seats for those under the required height limit.
SWOOSH

t-n-t

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 08:55:41 PM »
I'm only pointing out that the average american size is now greater.  Which means, there's a growing population that love coasters but can't ride them and thus, why would they spend money to go to a theme park?  Wouldn't owners want to get as much money as they can?  If so, then offer something like that, which will draw in more people and more money.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 09:04:32 PM »
Just so I'm on the same page here.  Big boy seats will bring in bigger people and more money?  :o
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 09:14:37 PM »
Sadly, there are also health restrictions on some rides, and with weight also comes health issues.  They'd probably just as soon leave out the whole demographic than risk one wrong person riding and developing a problem because of it.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 07:55:27 AM »
I was with a large friend once that was moved from a regular seat on Wildfire to a large seat.  I really think the ride ops were
not doing their job, at the time they were not communicating well that the big boy seats DO exist and they could have tactfully said something but they let him sit in the regular seat and then had to shuffle him to a BB seat.  Needless to say it was the last time he ever went to SDC and it was the last ride he went on that day.  Had there been a crowd I could see him getting lost in the sea of people in the station but it was not the case.  The train was mostly empty.  In recent years they have really gotten better at letting people know that there is a test seat out front and if you have a problem  BB seats are located in rows 3/6/8, or whatever.  Considering this question I was once loaded on to LROTO in Dollywood with family and a lady from a wheel chair that was at least 350 and her child, honestly I was scared and had located my seatbelt latch should I need it, that boat was way off balance and not a fun ride.  SDC goes out of the way to accommodate but sometimes its the customer that has to make a life change not the park. BTW, I know that chest size and height can really make a difference as well, I am not victimizing the large but I am sure the park can only go so far and still keep it safe.  I DIDNT feel safe with the large woman loaded on my boat.  Body shameing? (Id love to flush all this PC BS down the crapper) no, just concerned for my safety.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 08:32:14 AM by mhguy77 »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 08:24:41 AM »
I rode Great White at SWSA numerous times in the larger seats this past weekend yet somehow Wildfire's big boy seats are a bit smaller and I can't ride it.  I suspect it's shorter latch belts have a large upper torso/chest and OTSRs are a pain in my theme park loving butt. I can ride OR fine except for the  discomfort of size 14 feet and the shin restraint. The lap bar only Gerstlauer Eurofighters like Iron Shark at Galveston Pleasure Pier are no issue at all.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 10:58:46 AM »
I know LR is not a coaster, but a ride op on our last visit was both accommodating and discreet.  I saw him install the velcro extension with more than one rider, and he did it with such panache that they weren't even aware he had done it.  I don't think anyone could have done it any better.  He simply threw the thing on there while "helping" them load and put on their belts.  It was quite impressive.

I've seen people turned away after attempting to load WF, FitH, and OR.  I've also seen ride OPs attempting the impossible with some who have stood in line.  I'm sure it's part of the job they'd rather not have to do.  I suppose that's why many of the rides have test seats at the queue entrance.  Those aren't there for photo ops.  At the same time, the "big boy" seats are there on WF, but I wonder if workers have been properly trained in ways to utilize them as discreetly - or even if all workers know they exist.  I could imagine forgetting about them in the efforts to go through all of the safety checks, which I have no doubt they are trained for.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 01:03:03 PM »
I mean, it's all just part of letting yourself turn into a "big boy". Physics is a bitch.

Every year we see deaths of large people who were squeezed into a ride, only to have their fat morph around the safety devices and lift them out. It just isn't always safe or possible to try to accommodate  such a huge range of people sizes. They'd either have to make every ride very boring, increase the minimum sizes, or make the restraints horrific to use.

The solution here is easy. Expect people to take care of themselves. I know there's a growing "acceptance" movement, but that fad will fade one way or another soon.

Plenty of coaster enthusiasts are finally pushed into lifestyle changes when they can no longer ride their favorite rides. There used to be a group for it - might still be around.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 02:15:55 PM »
I mean, it's all just part of letting yourself turn into a "big boy". Physics is a bitch.

Every year we see deaths of large people who were squeezed into a ride, only to have their fat morph around the safety devices and lift them out. It just isn't always safe or possible to try to accommodate  such a huge range of people sizes. They'd either have to make every ride very boring, increase the minimum sizes, or make the restraints horrific to use.

The solution here is easy. Expect people to take care of themselves. I know there's a growing "acceptance" movement, but that fad will fade one way or another soon.

Plenty of coaster enthusiasts are finally pushed into lifestyle changes when they can no longer ride their favorite rides. There used to be a group for it - might still be around.

I agree here. Not bashing people of size but you have to take care of yourself. I just came back on Southwest from a wedding in Orlando and the person next to me could have used 2 seats. They kept encroaching into my space. I was nice since it was only a 2 hr trip but if I would have been on a longer flight I might have lost it eventually.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 02:18:26 PM by Runner1960 »

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 07:01:20 PM »
Amen to that Shave......You have to take some responsibility for yourself.  It might not be the hormones or the thyroid it might just be that deep dish pizza and 52 oz soda.
Not that I couldn't learn a thing or 2 about losing weight, but there is overweight and there is 350 lbs.  You just cant please everyone but it does look like XL is the new standard option.

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 07:47:48 PM »
There are other things to do at a theme park than only ride rides....and SDC has many of them. We have been going to SDC for more than 20 years and only did the rides the first time we went.