Author Topic: Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art  (Read 24860 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2014, 09:51:34 PM »
Here's today's ADG article on it:

Museum gaining historic house
Crystal Bridges to move home from N.J. to Bentonville
CYD KING
ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE

BENTONVILLE — Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art is adding a rare, mid-1950s Frank Lloyd Wright house to its collection. Disassembling and moving the structure from where it is situated along the Millstone River in New Jersey and putting it back together on a site with a similar view on the museum’s 120-acre grounds will take roughly 15 months to complete.
    The move is a last-ditch effort at preserving the structure and would not otherwise be considered an option, said Janet Halstead, executive director of the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy, a Chicago-based international organization dedicated to preserving Wright’s remaining buildings and facilitating transfers of Wright’s properties. The Millstone River has gradually encroached on the 2,800-square-foot home over the past two decades, causing extensive damage.
    “Only as a last resort would the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy consider moving a house from its original site,” Halstead said.
    The previous owners and caretakers, the architect/designer team of Lawrence and Sharon Tarantino, spent years looking for a buyer, including listing it on the conservancy’s website. Diane Carroll, media relations manager for Crystal Bridges, said the two parties came together as a result of “being in the same community of talking art and architecture.
    “It was just a fortuitous meeting where we learned of their need to sell and relocate the house, and as they learned more about Crystal Bridges, they realized we could work together well and be a good pair,” she said.
    Carroll did not disclose the purchase price, saying only that the cost of disassembling the house is included in the acquisition arrangement between the couple and the museum.
    “I don’t have any dollar amounts to share,” she said.
    The Tarantinos will take on the painstaking work of deconstructing the house later this month, and J.B. Hunt Transport Services Inc. has offered to truck it in parts to Bentonville at no cost. The Tarantinos are experts at this type of work, receiving awards for the preservation of their house as well as other Usonian-style homes from the American Institute of Architects and the conservancy, according to a news release from the museum on Wednesday.
    The conservancy’s Halstead said the organization has a high level of confidence in the Tarantinos’ ability to move the Bachman Wilson House.
    “They’ve been such wonderful stewards of this home,” she said. “They rescued a house that was not in great shape and made it beautiful again, putting a lot of time, effort and money into doing that.” At least some of the work was done using Wright’s original drawings. All furnishings were restored and rebuilt with 1950s upholstery fabrics matching the house and the period.
    “I know this was a difficult decision for them,” Halstead added. The pair bought the house in 1988 and lived there for about 20 years. “We know the deconstruction will be done with meticulous care, and they’ll be involved in the reconstruction, as well.”
    Wright developed the Usonian house type during the Great Depression as a prefabricated, affordable prototype for Americans of all socio-economic classes, said Dale Allen Gyure, a board member for the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy and a professor of architecture at Lawrence Technological University in Southfield, Mich.
    “Wright spent the last two decades of his life designing variations of the Usonian and promoting its virtues, including simple materials, easy construction, combined living-dining areas, and efficient kitchens — all ideas which entered the mainstream of the American housing market,” Gyure said. “The Bachman Wilson House is one of the few Usonians with more than one story, containing two bedrooms on a mezzanine overlooking the living room and leading to an outdoor balcony.”
    Ethel Goodstein-Murphree, interim dean of the University of Arkansas’ Fay Jones School of Architecture, said the context for [Usonian-style homes] remain of monumental importance today.
    “The ideas that are embedded in the Bachman Wilson House speak to Wright’s earliest and all too often-forgotten work,” she said.
    “The catchword here that is so significant for us is ‘affordable,’” she added. “His notion of how we should live was an affordable home in harmony with nature for all people.”
    The house, located in the Borough of Millstone in Somerset County, N.J., could also be described as an open two-story pavilion. A stepped concrete base supports glass walls. Horizontal and vertical planes form unique spaces both inside and out, dissolving the physical boundary of the enclosure with natural surroundings.
    Americans have had a tendency in recent decades to build and live in homes “far bigger than any one individual should be living in on a dayto-day basis,” Goodstein-Murphree said. “We forget how much the temperance of Wright’s aesthetic was about defining an American lifestyle — a good American lifestyle — one that speaks to so many of our contemporary concerns, such as sustainability of every kind.”
    Husband and wife Abraham Wilson and Gloria Bachman commissioned Wright to design the home, which was completed in 1954. At the time, Bachman’s brother, Marvin Bachman, was an apprentice in the Frank Lloyd Wright Taliesin Fellowship and Wright was working on the Guggenheim Museum in New York.
    At Crystal Bridges, the house will likely be erected above Crystal Spring, the natural spring from which the museum takes its name. It will be a short distance from the museum’s art trail, which is accessible from the south lobby. It will have a view similar to where the house is now with woods and a view to water.
    Once installed, the house will be made available for study, limited programming and tours. Crystal Bridges’ educational and public program offerings include an architectural focus that will be enhanced through the addition of the Bachman Wilson House to Crystal Bridges’ grounds. Through an ongoing partnership with the UA, the museum is expected to develop additional educational programs specifically related to UA’s architecture school.
    The late architect Fay Jones, an Arkansas native, met Wright, in 1949. Wright became a mentor and Jones was later an apprentice at Taliesin East and a member of the Taliesin Fellowship, Goodstein-Murphree said.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »
Here's today's ADG article on it:

Museum gaining historic house
Crystal Bridges to move home from N.J. to Bentonville
CYD KING
ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE

Cyd and I were fellow journalism students at Arkansas Tech. We're Facebook friends, so I heard about this move from her link to the article.  :)

As for the UA school of architecture, there are two kinds of schools: design schools, and engineering schools. UA is a design school; Texas A&M is an engineering school. As someone who seriously wanted to become an architect, I looked at both routes, and I definitely prefer the engineering route.

Design architects draw a pretty building, then turn to engineers and say, "Build something to support this." The end result is often not very functional.

Engineering architects design from the inside out; if they have style skills, or consult with a designer, the outside will be as pretty as the inside is functional.

FLW built his reputation on designing the inside space, then the structure to support it. Towards the end of his career, he drifted a bit too heavily towards design, insisting that people had to adapt to his buildings rather than the other way around.

As much as I love his work artistically, I would never want to live in one of his houses. Ironically, his most functional industrial building (Johnson Wax) is butt ugly on the outside, but a brilliant bit of beautiful inside space.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2014, 08:02:05 PM »
FLW had a problem with flat roofs...they leaked a lot. Had a problem with the Johnson Building with the curved glass blocks, they leaked, too! His buildings are great to look at. I consider E. Fay Jones  his "son," and Maurice Jennings his "grandson," because of their designs. That perhaps for some is a bit too strong...Jones was a student. Jennings is the current owner/operator of the Jones firm.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2014, 02:34:28 PM »
My son has one of these shirts.  ;D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2014, 03:43:01 PM »
I just looked at the Wal-Mart version of a revamped Harps Food Store and parking lot on page 3 of this thread. WOW! The folks at Wal-Mart just didn't think it was right to have a Harps Food Store just off the Bentonville square instead of a Wal-Mart, so they bought the block, tore out the old strip mall...and, well, you can see the picture! It's going to be great. I can hardly wait until it is done. They are working on it now. I only am sorry to see the old parking lot go, because that is where my wife and I would park to go across the street and eat occasionally at Flying Fish, a great little Gulf Coast Seafood themed place...wonderful food. I think the new plans are for a parking garage, which is also needed in downtown Bentonville.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2014, 07:26:08 AM »
I just looked at the Wal-Mart version of a revamped Harps Food Store and parking lot on page 3 of this thread. WOW! The folks at Wal-Mart just didn't think it was right to have a Harps Food Store just off the Bentonville square instead of a Wal-Mart, so they bought the block, tore out the old strip mall...and, well, you can see the picture! It's going to be great. I can hardly wait until it is done. They are working on it now. I only am sorry to see the old parking lot go, because that is where my wife and I would park to go across the street and eat occasionally at Flying Fish, a great little Gulf Coast Seafood themed place...wonderful food. I think the new plans are for a parking garage, which is also needed in downtown Bentonville.

The mixed use development will have a parking deck. . My only complaint was the nieghborhood market is still basically a stand alone with nothing above like the other part of the developement. I'll track down the renderings tonight.  When WalMart had it's little battle in Springfield earlier I thought about why they weren't trying pull this off there as well as this project has been known about for a couple of years now. Walmart has several mixed used urban designs out there now.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »
Here you go Junior, the NM is a single level with exaggerated facades

They are developing a long range plan for different districts.  Here's a link for that
http://www.thecitywire.com/node/30995#.UvV0RZWYbwp
Walton's own what was the fairgrounds.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 06:08:07 PM by chittlins »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2014, 10:25:29 PM »
Ah, thanks...very interesting. It will be fun to watch this go up in Bentonville.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2014, 06:42:57 PM »
Another Downtown B-Ville project

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2014, 06:45:47 PM »
Things are cooking in NW Arkansas. Really, folks...when you plan that Branson vacation, you need to plan a few more days, then make a side trip down this way. Many, many things to see and do.  ;D

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2014, 10:22:03 AM »
Just wanted to let everyone know that Alice Walton won Tourism Person of the Year at the 40th Annual Governor's Conference on Tourism. The conference was put on by my agency: Arkansas Department of Parks & Tourism. This year it was held in Rogers at the Embassy Suites. She gave a wonderful speach about NW Arkansas, her love for the state, and Crystal Bridges. She was very personable and down to earth. Very proud of the work she has done for our state, and I feel she much deserved the award.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2014, 12:26:43 PM »
Just wanted to let everyone know that Alice Walton won Tourism Person of the Year at the 40th Annual Governor's Conference on Tourism. The conference was put on by my agency: Arkansas Department of Parks & Tourism. This year it was held in Rogers at the Embassy Suites. She gave a wonderful speach about NW Arkansas, her love for the state, and Crystal Bridges. She was very personable and down to earth. Very proud of the work she has done for our state, and I feel she much deserved the award.

She tell you about her incident back in the 90's that prompted her to spend most of her time at her spread in the Metroplex? A night of wine drinking in downtown Fayetteville led her to taking out a culvert on Wagon Wheel in Springdale later on. Witnesses at the hospital noted her yelling to the Trooper requesting a blood test, "Do you know who I am." Needless to say, she got off, much like she did recently down in Texas for pretty much the same thing. Zebra, Stripes, and I know, Cool Story Bro. Alice and some of Bud's crew(Laurie Clan) are a little haughty. Most of the others operate in Sam mode.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2014, 05:21:18 PM »
Alice has a history...I saw her brother, the one that runs Arvest, at a Bentonville BBQ about a year ago. He and his wife, chowing down on ribs, just like anyone else. He was friendly and gave me a smile when I looked their way.

mickbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2014, 11:26:29 PM »
The art is superb, however, I like the buildings and site which are totally awesome. The l wood beams made from native timber are well done. The thought processes put into the landscaping are very well executed.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2016, 08:58:57 PM »
Via Fayetteville Flyer:

A painting by Pablo Picasso is one of several new pieces of artwork that will be on display at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art beginning in late April.

Picasso’s Seated Woman in a Chemise is on loan from the Tate Modern in London and can be viewed from April 29 through July 2017, according to a news release. Belgian artist Rene Magritte’s L’Anniversaire will be available later this fall. Both works will be showcased as part of a reinstallation of Modernist works.

“These very special loans offer a wonderful opportunity for visitors to view works by American Modernists side-by-side with masters of the European avant-garde who had great influence in America,” said Margi Conrads, director of curatorial affairs for Crystal Bridges.

Crystal Bridges also loans works of art from its permanent collection to museums around the world. Georgia O’Keeffe’s Jimson Weed, White Flower No. 1, will be on loan to Tate Modern as part of a major retrospective of O’Keeffe’s work this year.

Philip Haas’s The Four Seasons sculptures, on loan from Sonnabend Gallery in New York, will be on display along the Orchard Trail and in the museum’s courtyard through September 2016. The work is a series of monumental fiberglass heads inspired by Giuseppe Arcimboldo’s four 1563 Italian Renaissance paintings: Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter. Smaller, three-foot high sculptures of The Four Seasons, will be located inside the museum’s Bridge Gallery.

Haas will be at the museum from 1-2 p.m. Friday, April 29 for an outdoor conversation about his work. The event is free, and no registration is required.

In addition, five pieces have been added to the “Black Unity” exhibit, which includes artwork created over the past five decades by black artists in an array of media, including photography, sculpture, painting, and tapestry.

From the release:

Rooted in the personal experiences and reflections of each artist, the works explore family, historical figures and events, and cultural touchstones that resonate within the African American community. Ultimately, the unique voices of these artists come together to tell a story that transcends color and creed and unites viewers under a shared American experience.

“Black Unity” can be viewed from May 4 until Sept. 5.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 09:00:15 PM by chittlins »