Author Topic: SF StL  (Read 19489 times)

bradhig

• View Profile
Re: SF StL
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 07:47:05 AM »
The Sky-Way accident occurred July 26,1978 because they victims were reportedly rocking the car.  We rode that ride at least a day before the accident several times mom said I loved being up there.

The mine train in the photo with the Sky-Way is side b that got removed for Ninja. We rode that in 1978 as well.  Mom hated the Sky Chuter parachute and held me back in the seat as we dropped. The Sky Chuter got relocated to Six Flags Great Adventure because it was closed frequently due to high winds at SFSTL. 

SFSTL had a walk thru attraction similar to Grandfather's house called Angle Tangle later Tiltmore Hotel the building that housed it is now used for season pass processing.   SFSTL used to be called Six Flags Over Mid America.

ghosthost

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2010, 02:23:52 PM »
The sky way had a mechanical malfaunction.....though it wouldnt surprise me if something else also contributed. When I see people rocky gondolas, either on the big farris wheels or another ride I just cringe.  Saftey rules are there for a purpose.  Anything that involves heights and people acting stupid is never a good combination. DUH!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2010, 10:46:56 AM »
I will be at SF Stl twice this month, and hope to get some then, and now photos...also I hope to get in to see the old Hannibarrels / Powder Keg (Intamin Drunken Barrels) - opened in 1971, closed end of 1996, Currently waiting for a need to be removed....I have a few of the exterior, we'll see if I am granted access to photo the area or not.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2010, 11:02:17 AM »
Alright so it was a no go, last week to get up there, we'll see if I can finagle my way up there for some photos this week

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2010, 02:10:19 PM »
Got a look at another engine out at the park yesterday, Anyone know anything about it? Steam freak might...

I believe it says
red seal  down the side, and continentalacross the front

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2010, 10:48:32 PM »
Got a look at another engine out at the park yesterday, Anyone know anything about it? Steam freak might...

I don't think Steam cares much for internal combustion.  ;)

As for this one... hmmmm. Two axle light industrial switcher, but I don't recognize it. Google images for "industrial switcher", and you'll find a bunch that are similar, but most are bigger. This would have been used at a railcar shop for moving one car at a time, more than likely.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2010, 08:08:08 PM »
It was in fact what was outside of their "shed"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2010, 06:15:05 PM »
Any idea what the gauge is?

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2010, 11:16:41 PM »
It is a 25 ton narow gauge steam train. (4-4-0, 36" gauge). Is it odd that the train (The Tommy G. Robrtson Railroad) is run on natural gas?

Here is a video I found of the pictured locomotive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnirAzPtqWg&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T00W6aZ7edo&feature=related

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2010, 03:31:17 PM »
Is it odd that the train (The Tommy G. Robrtson Railroad) is run on natural gas?

Not really. Real working railroads would reconfigure steam locomotives to burn whatever was most economical. Many engines ran on coal and fuel oil at different times in their service lives, and some ran on LPG too.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2010, 08:48:48 PM »
They were preaching the natural gas aspect on the train ride, so I figured it was pretty uique, or important. That...or it was just a way to claim their clean burning train as an aid in the fight against pollution.

ghosthost

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2010, 10:03:35 PM »
Hey all, sorry I havent posted for awhile been a busy month.....after six flags, I have a friend who still works out there.  I heard through the grapevine they are planing some big things for the 50th anniversay next year.  There MIGHT be a new rollercoaster.  I do know that this might be the last year for the bumper cars, tidal Wave and my old ride i was a operator on The flying chairs.  Hopefully they will start expanding past that soon.  The park still owns 300 acres of undeveloped land to the right of the screamin eagle.  Also about the coaster, te last couple of years they cut down the queue area from the area due to the fact that the waiting area was too large for the decreased attendance, but just looking at the area it is in such disrepair.  Its really sad that it has gone downhill.  Toms Twister was removed a few years ago.  I do agree that there is much room for improvements.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 10:21:44 AM »
Found an old slide of SF StL from the railroad crossing in 1976...enjoy

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 11:04:11 AM »
Goodness rube, is there any photos that you don't have?  ;)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 11:11:17 AM »
Maybe one or two! I have about 3-4 more from this trip to Six Flags that I picked up from the in-laws while cleaning out a family estate. This one is by far the most interesting since this area of the park looks basically the same!