Author Topic: SF StL  (Read 19488 times)

sdcforever

SF StL
« on: September 15, 2008, 01:05:53 PM »
SF StL has announced they will be getting the new $2.5 million "Glow in the Park Parade" beginning Memorial Day weekend 2009.  Not many details are known except that it will feature state-of-the-art floats, incredible light design, and Cirque-style music.  Find out a little more info here:
http://www.sixflags.com/stLouis/entertainment/GlowinthePark.aspx

They will also be adding Wahoo Racer to their water park next year.  This is a six lane head-first speed slide from Proslide and it will feature a triple drop layout that will provide maximum speed and airtime.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 07:18:17 PM by sdcforever »

sdcforever

Re: SF StL
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 07:21:26 PM »
Besides the new parade and water ride it looks like Tidal Wave might be on its way out.  According to Screamscape major work is being done on the ride right now.  It almost looks like some of the control systems are being removed, but they could just be doing a major overhaul.  It also appears that some of the lift system is being removed.  It wouldn't surprise me if it was being removed because it seems as if a lot of shoot-the-chutes rides have been removed from other SF parks recently.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 09:29:18 PM »
Project 2010 is going there and over the train tracks... shhh!!!
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 02:43:50 PM »
Screamscape is reporting that SF StL has removed the Slingshot upcharge attraction and that it is most likely headed to another SF park (possibly SFNE).  The park will be open later in 2009 during the summer for the new Glow In the Park parade.  Also, Boss and Screamin' Eagle will be getting a lot of love in the off-season, including some major amounts of re-tracking.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 05:18:07 PM »
Here is the employee website that shows the current updates from the park
http://sixflagsstlouis.net/park-updates/2009/

Freeze being repainted, Slingshot gone, WahooRacer location, etc
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 11:57:17 PM »
^Thanks for the link.  Wow!  I didn't realize how faded Mr. Freeze had become.

sdcforever

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 12:53:23 PM »
Six Flags may be in trouble next year.  Here's a bit of news I found:

"An article posted on Yahoo takes a good hard look at the current financial conditions, the downfall of big chains Circuit City and Linens ‘n Things, and makes some predictions about which companies are being carefully watched to see if they might be the next to fall. One of those listed is Six Flags which one group has predicted may report negative cash flow in 2009 which could put them into a final tail-spin if they are unable to pay down some big debts due between late 2009 and 2010."

DocSpeleo

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 10:58:23 PM »
no ... six flags can't be in trouble i own 1000 shares..

sdcforever

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 12:24:20 PM »
Here's the latest update on 2009 season prep for SF StL:
The repainting of Mr. Freeze is finished and not only did they fix up the ride itself but also repainted the outside and inside of the ride building as well as the queue line areas. The Boss is also getting tracked in numerous areas this year, Shazaam is getting repainted and the Wahoo Racer slide will be going up in a couple of weeks. While we’re talking about the waterpark, know that Hurricane Jane’s food court will be transformed to include Johnny Rockets, Papa John’s and a Cold Stone Creamery. As for the entertainment side of things this year, the year should be good as the park will be offering a number of shows this season such as Dance Dance Revolution Challenge, a Karaoke show, The Kryptonites, Looney Tunes Talent Show, Rockin’ Country, Show Stoppin’ and The Best of Dick Clark.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 10:47:06 AM »
^Sounds like they're making some much needed improvements.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 12:05:58 PM »
Yah the place needs the work, even if it is just a coat of paint. The old spinning barrels-much like Disney's Teacups- are still there, just taking up space. They shoehorned in Tony Hawks Big Spin, as well as built on top of the Moon Cars to create Evil Knievel... Space there is at a premium. Rumors were last year that we were a few of the last riders to go on Screaming Eagle, and that it is slated for either extensive repairs, or demo...Any ideas?

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 01:01:29 PM »
I would love if they brought back the "Chevy Show" or a similar theater attraction.

The attraction served as a first step in the evolution toward the modern day IMAX theater and the precursor to motion simulator rides. Next to the small, white air-conditioned building housing the presentation, the automobile company displayed its latest models underneath a canopy. It presented a twenty-minute film projected onto a 180-degree curved screen looming above several rows of wood benches. The film featured first-person footage of a ride on a roller coaster, a trip down a ski slope, a flight through a canyon, a ride down a raging river, a frantic drive along a mountain road, and a mad dash through city streets.At the end of the Chevy Show film, you would experience a drive down a hilly, twisting country road from the perspective of a camera mounted on the front of the car. Suddenly, a car stopped at an intersection would appear just ahead, and it looked as if your car was going to smash into the one ahead. Everyone in the theater would stick out their right leg to apply the imaginary brake. They all flowed seamlessly into one another, a car might drive off a bridge, then you were soaring in a helicopter etc...It was great.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 10:39:12 PM »
The Chevy Show was a highlight of our trips to SF in DFW, too.  I'm sure we would think the original pretty lame at this point, but a 1st-person 3D show could easily be made (better yet, a 4D experience).  Just about anything fits the SF theme these days; they threw out the real theme a long time ago.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 10:49:02 PM »
You've got a good point. I went to the Chevy show for the last time in probably 1992-94 (sometime in there) at SF StL, and since then I have gone on the "4-D" type rides at the major parks. It really was simple. I would really think that with the technology today something better could be done, I would love to see something like it as an attraction in the park. "Soarin" @ Disney is a similar concept of film-making wouldn't you agree?

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 12:28:58 PM »
Whoa!  I totally remember the Chevy Show.  Good memories!  Grew up going to that park.  Best log ride ever (from a kid's perspective)
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!