Author Topic: what is sdc coming to?  (Read 7086 times)

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
what is sdc coming to?
« on: August 31, 2008, 08:32:14 PM »
hey all....ive been going to sdc since i was 10 or so...many many greaT memories. im usually one to look on the bright side of things, but ive just about had it with this place. i have expressed my views on the changing of themeing and such on other posts, but today just made me furious..i know it was labor day weekend so it would be pretty busy, but when we went to park in our normal spots, they had that entire lot reserved for handicap drivers. so they made everyone park in the bottom two lots. then after waiting about 10 min for one of those lame school buses to get us, we decided to walk. once in the park there were no lines for about an hour or so, but they still made you get off the rides and go around to ride again! when we left the park at mid day that reserved handicap parking lot wasnt even 1/4 of the way full!  with the new ride going in next year, all the changes for the worse ( ok not all of them but mostly) and after today, it makes me wonder if i want to continue to get season passes! anyone else feel this way? please share your thoughts.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: what is sdc coming to?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 08:54:24 PM »
Do we really need any more topics like this?

Look, here's the skinny: The park is changing to fit the wants of the people, and unfortunately what the people want is another generic amusement park. The park has managed to do a pretty good job maintaining it's status while being torn apart by thrill seekers and nostalgics at the same time. Things are going to change, there's no stopping it, but at least they're doing their best to keep the park a special place.

I mean, what do you expect them to do? Abandon what their customers want and remain a random homely Ozark novelty? I too have complaints about how the park has changed, but there are only so many ways forward.

Also, it's usually not good style to lodge so much complaint against little things that happened on an individual trip. There's probably a reason why they had so many handicap spaces marked that day, even if you didn't see it.

It's too bad they don't allow re-rides anymore, but they're just doing away with another liability. (Damn kids!)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 09:40:02 PM »
1. The busses are the only vehicle that they have that can make it down to that lot.  You should be thankful that they are even doing that for you.  They have been using the trolleys in the evening, but it stops on the other side of the new road from the lot and makes you get off there since it cannot get over the hump and back.

2. They have to use Lot C for Handicapped parking because Lot A is not sufficient.  There is not enough parking there and once it is full they have to be put somewhere.  When the new lot opens this will be remedied.  Sorry you were so inconvienced, but think about the people in wheel chairs that have a tough time getting to the front gate from all the way out in C Lot.  The trams are not exactly accessible for those ECVs now are they?

3. Re-rides are a thing of the past due to liability and guest complaints.  Sorry get over it and walk the extra few yards and get a little exercise.  It's not as if walking a little more will kill you.  Also it helps with PPH on the ride.  By having one way in and one way out, you can actually load the train faster and not have to worry about if someone is going to decide to ride or not.  It actually speeds up dispatches by making you walk around.  It's a win-win situation for everyone, so quit acting like a spoiled brat.  Want re-rides go to Coaster Christmas and get them during ERT.

4.  If you are having such a bad time at the park, why do you continue to go?  One less enthusi-ass complaining at the park won't hurt my feelings at all.  Get over yourself, you are not the ONLY person the park is catering to.  In fact as a season pass holder you are probably less likely to spend ubber gobs of money on your visit if any.  You are not doing the park any good by not spending money and coming and complaining how much you hated your visit.  
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 10:11:52 PM »
IMO, I think this is a big time of transition for SDC.  I enjoy the park a lot, no matter how many changes it goes through.  The little things don't bother me too much.  We'll see how the park looks and feels five to ten years from now.  I have been generally pleased with the recent big additions to the park; they try really hard to stay with the 1880s theme.  I don't think any park works harder at theming than SDC, and it shows.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 10:25:49 PM »
Thinking about this more, I do agree with Copper that the new management isn't greatest the chain has ever had, and is doing things that are unnecessarily antagonizing for many of us long time fans. Of course we expect the park to move forward and become a theme park, and yes we're ready to see a lot of traditions fall to a new age of guests, but the new management has a tendency to go beyond this and be more blunt and unimaginative than any of us could expect from such a prestigious chain. It's not as noticeable if you're inclined to generic parks, but those of us that have grown up around SDC specifically sure notice.

I still have a lot of faith in them though, and I've been happy that SDC has remained a lot more vigilant in keeping somewhat to the theme than it's counterparts. I hope this remains - I have big expectations for Tom & Huck's new adventure, and the area around it. Even if the new management is uninspired, at least the team at SDC is. We'll see what happens.

I say all this in the spirit of constructive critique.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 10:35:21 PM by shavethewhales »

sdcforever

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 10:31:05 PM »
^I've never lost hope, but it was strengthened when I found out that the Landing is keeping the Tom and Huck theme with the new ride.  I think this new ride and the area around it might set the tone for changes in the park in the near future, so I really hope they go all out.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 10:34:15 PM »
^You're right about that.  In fact, they will be regaining theme if this revision is done correctly without a lot of carnival games.  Add some characters, some Tom and Huck theming with some little tweaks, and we could have a really great area.  Tom and Huck have been conspicuously absent from their own areas for a while now, and we'll be happy to have them back.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 08:14:52 AM »
I agree with Swoosh.   If you don't like it then find another park to go to.  I like the changes that have been made.  I miss some of the old rides and I would probably cry if they took our FITH but the new rides and the changes make it a fresh experience every year.  They purposely move stores to get you to go to different sections of the park.  It is just like going to a store.  If they never added anything new you would not want to go look.  Just quit your whining.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

DocSpeleo

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 09:01:26 AM »
Wow!
This group has quite a bite to it! lol ;D

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 09:10:45 AM »
^ yea tell me about it! i didnt know i was going to cause all this hostility. haha oh well

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 10:22:40 AM »
Well, in the past we cultivated a reputation for whining, so these days most everything that's said negatively about the park should really be in the spirit of constructive criticism. I didn't mean to rag on you too much, but a lot of people forget the situation the park is in.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 04:47:35 PM »
^^The parking lots can be a source of frustration for us all - especially when we aren't allowed to park in our cherished C lot.  It's a bad way to start a day of vacation and it sets the completely wrong tone.  Hopefully the new lots will alleviate much of that frustration.

As for repeat rides, I find the ride itself to be less exciting if I don't have some kind of wait each time.  It's almost like I've missed the prologue of a great story.  ThuNderaTion, of course, is the worst for this because of its astronomically long queue.  I really would like to shorten that thing and stick something really cool in its place - maybe something to go along with TNT even.

^You are right about the distinction between whining/complaining and constructive criticism.  I think we do pretty well in these forums about remaining positive about solving problems such as these - for the most part.  A good fan doesn't always accept the changes the powers that be make; a good fan voices opinions that could be used for the betterment of the subject at hand.  It's all in the tone we use (something that I struggle with quite often in my own life).
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 06:38:52 PM »
Empathetically, I wonder sometimes what it was like for those who came to the park in the 60's for the quaint town square and cave tour only to find the park expanding with a new coaster in 1972 (Fire in the Hole).

For me personally, I grew up during this time....I like to call it the "hey days" of SDC. 

There is a generation right now who will be on the boards in 10 years remembering their very first memory of the New Landing area or trying their best to vaguely remember all the parking construction and "remember when" as they feel the pains of growth when the park is barren of any trees. <---- Okay, probably more of an unjustified Orwellian view.

In any respects, thank God we have culminated enough memories and people fanatical about the park here on this site to welcome all kinds of view points.  My view, I could care less if I see another coaster as long as I live at this park, but I know that would hurt the diversity of the property.  Just my two cents.

You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 08:03:08 PM »
I often wonder what the Lynch sisters thought pf SDC. They were alive during the early stages of SDC, the last sister died in 1972. When the giant Christmas Tree debuted in 94’ many people complained and said it looked like a giant rocket ship, but today its one of the biggest Holiday attractions. 

I love constructive criticism. It is the only way we can grow. Feed back good and bad are needed.

I love the new additions, I just must be too close to the subject and that is why I find things that could be and could have been done better.

Everyone, please keep voicing your opinion. It makes everyone think. Just remember like Steve said, “Keep it in the spirit of constructive criticism.”

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 10:20:18 PM »
I grew up at SDC in the 60's and 70'S, Worked there in the 70's and 80's left in the 90's because of the changes to my home town were too hard to face, and despite it all, here in a whole new century, I still keep tabs from 1400 miles away. I may not like all the changes, but the people associated with SDC, including all of you, will always keep me interested. I no longer have computer access at work so I shall become a less frequent visitor to this site now, just like I can't physically visit the park, but I Still care. don't give up on the place. It's spirit may get covered up from time to time, but it shines through even the worst managment ;D
"Loved on Four Contenents!"