Author Topic: What's going on in NWA, 2021  (Read 57428 times)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in NWA, 2020
« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2021, 11:36:58 PM »
Bentonville is now the 5th fastest growing city in the US and adding 10 people a day. And... there this 2045 projection

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2020/apr/13/planners-consider-how-to-fit-1-milllion/

1 million by 2045.

Not a bad thing for SDC's back yard.

I will turn 82 in 2045, and I hope to be around to say, "I told you so."

There is no way this projection turns out to be true. There are too many people with big money in NWA to allow it.

It just doesn't make sense. You think someone with their 15 acre microranch is going to accept a 15 story apartment building next to them?

How are developers going to build on land where it is very difficult to build more densely without running afoul of environmental regulations, and especially not cheaply compared to slab-on-grade flatlands?

With the topography in NWA, how would that many people get transported around? Traffic is already insane. They're talking about working class people, so they have to get to work, get to stores, and get home.

It's not going to happen.

Anyone who speculates on housing based on this, probably "owns" a home on Indian Ridge.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in NWA, 2020
« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2021, 11:02:06 PM »
Bentonville is now the 5th fastest growing city in the US and adding 10 people a day. And... there this 2045 projection

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2020/apr/13/planners-consider-how-to-fit-1-milllion/

1 million by 2045.

Not a bad thing for SDC's back yard.

I will turn 82 in 2045, and I hope to be around to say, "I told you so."

There is no way this projection turns out to be true. There are too many people with big money in NWA to allow it.

It just doesn't make sense. You think someone with their 15 acre microranch is going to accept a 15 story apartment building next to them?

How are developers going to build on land where it is very difficult to build more densely without running afoul of environmental regulations, and especially not cheaply compared to slab-on-grade flatlands?

With the topography in NWA, how would that many people get transported around? Traffic is already insane. They're talking about working class people, so they have to get to work, get to stores, and get home.

It's not going to happen.

Anyone who speculates on housing based on this, probably "owns" a home on Indian Ridge.

The big money wants this and is driving it.

Just look at the NWACouncil.org site.

Growth is continuing and the scope of it is growing as we speak, it is insane. Homes sold before the foundation is poured, entire streets at a time. There's plenty of land still. The smaller towns like Elkins are seeing hundreds of new homes.

UAMS will have a full fledged Med School in NWA in 10 years time.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: What's going on in NWA, 2021
« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2021, 08:40:17 AM »
I am a civil engineer working in the site development/water resources sector, and I can say that development is very fluid. NWA is a huge area, and developers will continuously seek out individual opportunities wherever they lie. If the powers that be in NWA are smart, they are developing comprehensive master plans and carving out space for higher density development. If not, prepare for Dallas sized sprawl across the whole area.

Transportation is a massive, massive hurdle for them because they don't have much in the way of existing highway infrastructure and building more will be prohibitively expensive. They need to get creative NOW with mass transit. Finishing the Springdale Northern Bypass should also be a priority.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2021, 10:42:32 AM »
I am a civil engineer working in the site development/water resources sector, and I can say that development is very fluid. NWA is a huge area, and developers will continuously seek out individual opportunities wherever they lie. If the powers that be in NWA are smart, they are developing comprehensive master plans and carving out space for higher density development. If not, prepare for Dallas sized sprawl across the whole area.

Transportation is a massive, massive hurdle for them because they don't have much in the way of existing highway infrastructure and building more will be prohibitively expensive. They need to get creative NOW with mass transit. Finishing the Springdale Northern Bypass should also be a priority.

They have a little used but in use rail line that is a straight shot from Roger, Springdale and Fayetteville. Sadly the spirit lines for it was decommissioned years ago and make up many bike trails but it hits at the heart if those three cities. A commuter line could be established but it would take some major work at road crossings to get it's speed up 

Fayetteville has a robust bus system with Razorback Transit but it is centered to serve the University. The regional transit is the hobo express and no one will use it. You'll have to make it 'cool' and it'll have to be on tracks.

The midrises are going up around Arvest Ballpark at a good clip now. Rumor is this is where UAMS will center it's future building in conjunction with Ark Childrens and Highlands Oncology with substantial gifts from the Springdale folks(Tyson /George/ other)

Alice is starting her own Med School in Bentonville, no word yet on who it is going to be affiliated with.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2021, 10:27:29 PM »

They are still tinkering around with plan proposals last I heard. Here are some graphics I obtained for what the future road network is supposed to be. First to be done is the final 5 miles of I49 going up to Anderson, MO which is in progress (currently ends at Gravette) and is expected to be done by 2024. Next is to build the 4 lane highway bypass to the XNA entrance off of 612 that currently ends just south of Wagon Wheel Road on 112. Then they are to finish the 612 bypass to connect just west of Tontitown and going thru Bethel Heights and finally ending at Sonora on 412 east. Other well traveled two lane roads (such as 112) are also expected to be widened at some point.

TBH the highway infrastructure between Springdale, Bentonville, and XNA should have been done during or shortly after the airport was opened back in '98. Its crazy that 23 years later a major airport still has the tiny two lane roads (HWY 12 & 264) as the only major access points.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 10:35:40 PM by sdcfan88 »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 21, 2021, 07:26:29 AM »
Breeze( New airline by the founder of JetBlue)  has blown in to XNA(even Tulsa too)

New flights to New Orleans/Tampa/San Antonio to start.

40 buck one way fares to be had right now.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2021, 07:23:00 PM »
What's going on in NWA?

Razorbacks kicking butt in baseball and softball!  ;D

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2021, 10:13:25 PM »
What's going on in NWA?

Razorbacks kicking butt in baseball and softball!  ;D

Men's Golf Team is off to the NCAA Championships as well

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2021, 09:22:05 PM »
Breeze( New airline by the founder of JetBlue)  has blown in to XNA(even Tulsa too)

Interesting that they are at XNA, but I guess that makes sense since they want to focus on smaller cities/less served routes. I am looking at that Tampa to Tulsa route for this summer, maybe hit up BGW!

https://talkbusiness.net/2021/05/u-s-legislators-look-to-designate-part-of-highway-412-as-future-interstate/
Turning 412 into an interstate would be huge! Obviously this is 10 or more years out since ARDOT has so many other big projects they haven't even broken ground on, but it's encouraging. I just want that Springdale bypass!

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 25, 2021, 11:12:17 AM »

Interesting that they are at XNA, but I guess that makes sense since they want to focus on smaller cities/less served routes. I am looking at that Tampa to Tulsa route for this summer, maybe hit up BGW!

https://talkbusiness.net/2021/05/u-s-legislators-look-to-designate-part-of-highway-412-as-future-interstate/
Turning 412 into an interstate would be huge! Obviously this is 10 or more years out since ARDOT has so many other big projects they haven't even broken ground on, but it's encouraging. I just want that Springdale bypass!

Allegiant jumps on PIE(Tampa alternative) with a quick start date in July and announced FLL to start in October in what I assume is a preemptive move against Breeze. I think their AUS service was to head off the SAT service by Breeze.

I wish Allegiant would focus instead of retaliating but on other unserved markets like Knoxville, Baltimore, Oakland, Boston, Sarasota or RSW, Bozeman and Salt Lake City/Provo

The Breeze Nicer option is the way to go.  These dates
Were $419 on Delta in basic and that was the cheapest among the legacies
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 11:16:37 AM by chittlins »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 25, 2021, 11:20:17 AM »
As for US 412. At the very least continue to Harrison/US 65.

In an ideal world, US 412 would be upgraded all the way to Walnut Ridge, share some of I-57 to the South and Extend I-555 south of Jonesboro to AR 226 and upgrade AR 226 to standard. All would be an extension of I-22 from Memphis.

Missouri would like I-22 routed to West Plainsboro US 60 ferm Walnut Ridge using US 63 as a template. Then  US 60 to Springfield and on the KC via MO 13. Nyet! That needs tto be an extention of I-155 from Dyersburg and conversion to a two digit interstate via Hayti toKennett on US 412 and Kennett to Popular Bluff  via  US 49 between Rector and Piggott and then US 60 to Springfield.(or just share I-55 to Sikeston and then US 60).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 11:33:57 AM by chittlins »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2021, 11:34:29 AM »
As for US 412. At the very least continue to Harrison/US 65.

In an ideal world, US 412 would be upgraded all the way to Walnut Ridge, share some of I-57 to the South and Extend I-555 south of Jonesboro to AR 226 and upgrade AR 226 to standard. All would be an extension of I-22 from Memphis.

Missouri would like I-22 routed to West Plains and US 60 from Walnut Ridge using US 63 as a template. Then  US 60 to Springfield and on the KC via MO 13. Nyet! That needs tto be an extention of I-155 from Dyersburg and conversion to a two digit interstate via Hayti toKennett on US 412 and Kennett to Popular Bluff  via  US 49 between Rector and Piggott and then US 60 to Springfield.(or just share I-55 to Sikeston and then US 60).

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 27, 2021, 06:21:45 PM »
Frontier has added LAS and MCO to XNA