Author Topic: The Grand Palace  (Read 33300 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: The Grand Palace
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2011, 10:18:16 AM »
Junior, Barnhill hosts a few concerts a year. Jason Aldeen is up next. The layout of Barnhill for these types of things is horrible.
It was an indoor football practice field originally.

They plan on allowing the WAC folks to use the football stadium (Jimmy Buffett has played Walmart shareholders meeting there) and Bud Walton to hold events. The BWA thing will depend on when the AD dept gets a separate facilaty to practice in. People don't realize that BWA was designed to be a basketball only facility. When the lower level is retracted It has three whole courts to hold practice on. It's the practice schedules of the men and women team that disrupts other uses. But the UofA realizes the lost revenue and wants some of that.

Long term plans call for a new 5 to 6 thousand seat multiuse arena to replace Barnhill

There's an ampitheater coming online between Springdale and Siloam Springs this summer, It'll have 5,000 fixed seats, corporate boxes and 10,000 in lawn seating.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2011, 01:36:53 AM »
My senior trip was to see the Charlie Daniels Band in Barnhill. (Full Moon tour, fall of 1980.)

Horrible acoustics, and not nearly big enough for the basketball crowds, but I miss the "40 Minutes of Barnhell" back in the day.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 01:39:09 AM by KBCraig »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2011, 02:31:11 PM »
I heard from the Grand Palace contact on the website today and this was said in an answer to my question of "if the Grand Palace will be reopening":
We are working on getting investors to help us aquire the building.

and
If the words the real estate market mean anything Location, Location, Location this is it and done right it can be a great showplace.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2011, 02:47:35 PM »
oh goody...  another "wait and see" situation...     :-\ :-\

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2011, 08:49:50 PM »
So all of the hype that it was going to open was just to get the Nelly concert to Branson...
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2011, 06:47:51 AM »
Branson has always attracted big dreamers who hype projects that have little or no chance of seeing the light of day. Some are sincere, others just hucksters. Hard to call it on this one. I think I read reports that a lot of improvements were made at the grand palace, and maybe they just ran out of money. Maybe the Nelly thing drained the bank accounts. I'm sure Nelly costs a lot to book, and expenses can cause the profit margin to go way down, plus controversy about the venue site.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Palace on market for $10 million
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2011, 09:51:43 PM »
In its heyday, the Grand Palace attracted stars like Jeff Foxworthy, George Jones, Ray Charles and Reba McEntire, but most recently it has attracted vandals.

The 90,000-square-foot theater located on 76 Country Boulevard was built in 1993. Hall Corp. purchased the property from Herschend Family Entertainment in 1997, according to Lynn Hall, of Hall Corp. For years, the theater attracted stars from across the nation and at one point in time, was estimated to draw as many as 500,000 people to the area in one season. Today, though, it sits empty.

“Our family doesn’t have any interest in the entertainment industry anymore,” Lynn Hall said earlier this week.

He hopes someone will take an interest in the property, though.

“It is the biggest stage in the area,” Hall said.

Realtor Dick Hall, of Branson Realty Inc., added, “The original acts Silver Dollar City had in there, like Kenny Rogers, headlines like that, were real revenue generators for the city.”

Lynn Hall and Dick Hall are not related.

The property is currently leased by Paul Dunn, but Lynn Hall said Dunn violated the lease.

Dunn worked on the property in the summer of 2010, but in July, the city issued a stop work order on the property after an engineer removed himself from the job. Dunn had wanted to hold a Nelly concert in the parking lot while work was done on the inside of the building.

According to Dick Hall, the property is currently listed for $10 million, but the condition of the building is nothing like it was when it was originally built.

“I sold that to Hall entertainment in 1995 and comparing it in ‘95 to today, it is in horrible condition,” said Dick Hall.

The theater has been stripped of its light and sound system and copper wiring.

“It has been vandalized,” Dick Hall said.

The building also sustained water damage in the winter of 2008.

Dick Hall said, in his opinion, it would take $3.5-$4 million to bring the Palace up to code and open it again. It needs work inside and out.

“I would hope someone would buy it, tear it down and put up another tourist attraction,” he said. “It is too big for smaller acts and too small for bigger acts.

“It was built by Silver Dollar City (which is owned by Herschend Family Entertainment) to be an icon of the city. Unfortunately, it should have been bigger.”

He has a quote from a Springfield firm that could tear down the building for $900,000.

The property consists of 13.2 acres. Dick Hall said that is enough for a couple of smaller theaters and even a hotel.

“It is going to need to be something different. I don’t know what that something different would be.”

He described the location on 76 as “dynamite.”

“It is the best location of that amount of acreage on the strip,” Dick Hall said. “It could be just about anything, except the Grand Palace.”

He said he does get calls about the building, but wouldn’t say there are any prospective buyers or people looking to lease it.

“Most people are just curious about it,” Hall said.

Dunn’s lease, according to Dick Hall, is up Jan. 1, 2012.

“We can sell it, subject to his lease or someone could buy his lease out,” he said.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2011, 10:41:20 PM »
^Where is that article from?

I find it hard to believe they can't find acts to fit the venue though. If they got big names to come through before, they could get them again with the right strategies. I'll bet if HFEC took it over again they could make it profitable in a snap.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2011, 02:07:33 AM »
I agree Shavethewhales; the theatre could be made profitable again.  The theatre is too small for people who are playing arenas, but there are plenty of entertainers that are playing smaller venues 2,000-3,000 seats, so the Palace could fit that niche extremely well.  It would take someone who knows how market and promote the theatre and that is hard to come by in this area.

Oh, the Grand Palace opened in 1992.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2011, 04:59:25 PM »
"Glory days, they'll pass you by...glory days, in the wink of a young girl's eye...glory days, glory days, glory days" -Springsteen
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2011, 10:47:26 AM »
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 10:49:14 AM by oklaSDCfan »

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2011, 05:07:34 PM »
did the mountain oak outdoor theater in Lampe go over this year. I heard all the advertisements for it early in the season but have not heard anything since. I know the acts were being booked by one of the NItty Gritty Dirt Band Memebers.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Cosmic Cowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2011, 06:03:27 PM »
I'm glad the Branson board stood up and tried to keep the rap act out of OUR Branson.  Rap/hip-hop music thrives on gang culture and the drugs and violence and all other sorts of debauchery that comes with it. So far Branson has managed to stay a haven for family entertainment, this is what make Branson so special to so many people.  It will lose it's whole image that it has touted for years if the town sells it's soul and welcomes this kind of lowest common denominator "entertainment".

-Grumply Old Man who loves Branson.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2011, 10:40:42 AM »
We had that discussion last summer, cowboy.

That would be a great challenge for HFEC to take over and try to revive tha palce.

I dont see it happening, but would be interesting to see.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2011, 08:46:31 AM »
Herschend Family Entertainment may have built Grand Palace and Grand Village, just as they did Whitewater Parks in OK City, Dallas, Atlanta, and so on...and Celebration City, but for what ever reasons, they sold off or closed those properties. They learn lessons they apply to other parks in their chain, so as to not repeat mistakes. They seem to be doing something right. I don't think you can ever look to the company to buy back Grand Palace. I would be very surprised if they did. I say if someone cannot come in and restore it or renovate it, then tear it down and use the property for something else.