Author Topic: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)  (Read 157297 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)
« Reply #405 on: January 19, 2022, 07:28:56 PM »
Yes, it's by far the popular rumor with plenty of signs pointing to it. We are talking about it more in the 2023 thread.

Yeah.....I didn't see that convo till after I posted in here.

FM and the train station really don't take that much space.  I know FM is bigger that is seems but Fith building is larger than the train station and FM together.  I love to sneak in an HQ office somewhere to see these possible long-term ideas...lol

I would agree in the speculation that FM will end up being a complete deconstruction and new attraction.  I can't imagine them being able to 'modernize' it without a complete rebuild.  Enjoy while you can.

The Riverside Playhouse would be removed as well and the new Mystery Mine type coaster will go over the train tracks into that area. 
SWOOSH

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 20, 2022, 08:45:48 AM »
The Riverside Playhouse would be removed as well and the new Mystery Mine type coaster will go over the train tracks into that area.

They are apparently bound and determined to make even the train ride less enjoyable.

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 20, 2022, 09:06:54 AM »
Why would that make the train less enjoyable?

It’s hard for me to see them taking out FM and not adding in some type of dark ride in a boat. A dark ride in a boat is such a theme park staple. Plus, They really don’t have a lot of rides that are good for the full family(baby all they way to 99 year old) to do together.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #408 on: January 20, 2022, 12:14:21 PM »
^It used to be a staple wayyyy back in the day, but they are extremely rare now. SFStL got rid of theirs years ago, and SFOT's is in danger. SFOG's is the best in the world outside of SDC though. Other than that you have the disney versions. I can't think of any others still standing?

The long-rumored coaster there would be a bit of a bummer just because it would trade a theatre and a ride that literally everyone enjoys for yet another high thrill ride. Another shovel full of dirt over the original SDC experience. We'll see what they actually come up with though. HFEC has been investigating new dark ride options. We know DW has looked into one. 

pintrader

« Reply #409 on: January 20, 2022, 12:47:23 PM »

The long-rumored coaster there would be a bit of a bummer just because it would trade a theatre and a ride that literally everyone enjoys for yet another high thrill ride.

A lot of people would think it's taking just a little more all the time from the train ride experience.......another coaster next to the tracks.

True...... it would be quite a bummer losing Riverfront Playhouse and the great Flooded Mine all at once.   Also the Boatworks Theatre would surely go also.  I doubt if anyone wants to have a coaster in their ear while watching shows.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 20, 2022, 01:06:12 PM »
^SFStL got rid of theirs years ago, and SFOT's is in danger.

Isn't SFOT having theirs completely redone to the "Pirates in Spelunker Cave" as a new ride for 2022?

I know Dollywood has some "in your face" coasters - but most of SDC's are on the edge of the park and not very visible from the main paths. Of course you can go to observation decks, launch areas, or ride the train and see more of the coaster - but from the main pathways you might just see a lift but not much else. I guess the reason I bring this up is...a coaster built in the FM area would be highly visible, would SDC want a highly visible coaster like that? 

I was thinking the next big coaster rumored for SDC was supposed to be a large out and back type hyper/mega coaster.

Jay

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #411 on: January 20, 2022, 10:13:17 PM »
^SFStL got rid of theirs years ago, and SFOT's is in danger.

Isn't SFOT having theirs completely redone to the "Pirates in Spelunker Cave" as a new ride for 2022?

I know Dollywood has some "in your face" coasters - but most of SDC's are on the edge of the park and not very visible from the main paths. Of course you can go to observation decks, launch areas, or ride the train and see more of the coaster - but from the main pathways you might just see a lift but not much else. I guess the reason I bring this up is...a coaster built in the FM area would be highly visible, would SDC want a highly visible coaster like that? 

I was thinking the next big coaster rumored for SDC was supposed to be a large out and back type hyper/mega coaster.

Jay

The lifts would be hidden in towers.  There would probably be a small outdoor section like at Dollywood.  I fully envision trestles going over there train track
SWOOSH

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 21, 2022, 08:35:38 AM »

Conceptually, it's a ride in "d'woods."  Coasters are noisy, ugly, and distracting.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 04, 2022, 02:01:14 PM »
^It used to be a staple wayyyy back in the day, but they are extremely rare now. SFStL got rid of theirs years ago, and SFOT's is in danger. SFOG's is the best in the world outside of SDC though. Other than that you have the disney versions. I can't think of any others still standing?

The long-rumored coaster there would be a bit of a bummer just because it would trade a theatre and a ride that literally everyone enjoys for yet another high thrill ride. Another shovel full of dirt over the original SDC experience. We'll see what they actually come up with though. HFEC has been investigating new dark ride options. We know DW has looked into one.

SFot and Disney's small world are the only ones I've seen before....I've been to at least a dozen other parks.  Pretty sure SDCs was handmade by the park too.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 02:02:59 PM by HumphreyHawk »
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 22, 2023, 08:03:12 PM »
I'm just trying to keep up with the rumors and plans for the next 5-10 years...

2023: Announced: fried fancies, parking phase1, staff dorm
2024: Announced: parking phase 2, entrance, turn lane to park 
all but officially announced: fith2.0
2025 Rumor: train station
2026: Flooded mine replacement?(I'm guessing on the timing for this, that they will get back to every other year for a major new ride)
2027:
2028: new coaster in the flooded mine/train station area?

other rumors:
the resort, new waterpark, thunderation(closure, maybe replacement somewhere else?)

am I missing anything?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #415 on: February 23, 2023, 09:38:01 AM »
Flooded Mine is one I'm not sure they'll replace in any capacity. Hard to say since they've been on a roll with replacements since about 2015, but there's not much on the market besides a Sally Dark ride or a very expensive Universal/Disney style ride that could replace it. I don't think they'll want to drop the money on a Disney style ride despite that having always been my great hope. MAYBE we'll get a Sally dark ride that barely captures the Mine's essence, but unlikely. They originally wanted to slap a coaster right on that spot. They still might...

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #416 on: February 23, 2023, 03:43:42 PM »
While it would be logistically tricky being in the center part of the park, I could see them doing a Mystery Mine clone or Baron 1898 type ride integrating land from the Train Station, Flooded Mine, and the Waterboggan Tower, its just a question of what else adjacent to the area would also be taken out, if so.

It would be nice if SDC would again invest in things like interactive theming an immersive pre-show elements with their new attractions. Its one thing I am still skeptical they will carry over with FITH 2.0.

Mystery Mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQSjh9BFey4
Baron 1898: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L84Tlc235-g
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 03:54:09 PM by sdcfan88 »

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 05, 2023, 03:35:54 PM »
If they're going to replace Thunderation I would love to see it replaced with something akin to Disney's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - with bigger drops of course.  That was my favorite ride there. https://disneyland.disney.go.com/attractions/disneyland/big-thunder-mountain-railroad/
I'm Your Huckleberry

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 06, 2023, 08:02:45 AM »
While it would be logistically tricky being in the center part of the park, I could see them doing a Mystery Mine clone or Baron 1898 type ride integrating land from the Train Station, Flooded Mine, and the Waterboggan Tower, its just a question of what else adjacent to the area would also be taken out, if so.

It would be nice if SDC would again invest in things like interactive theming an immersive pre-show elements with their new attractions. Its one thing I am still skeptical they will carry over with FITH 2.0.

Mystery Mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQSjh9BFey4
Baron 1898: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L84Tlc235-g

I've been on Baron. It is short but sweet and the pre-show is nice. Efteling is an incredible park with immersive theming throughout. Go there if you can.

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 01, 2023, 10:11:10 AM »
I had this Idea the other day, thought I would present it here for discussion.

Would you rather see a 10 million dollar renovation/re-imagining of the Flooded mine to its opening day glory way back when?.
or
See a 10 million dollar new version of Rube Dugan's diving bell where the flooded mine is?

Both would have state of the art effects and theming - you can't say both and only one can remain.
let the battle begin.

my two cents

Kevin