Author Topic: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)  (Read 157147 times)

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
Re: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)
« Reply #390 on: September 13, 2021, 09:02:05 AM »
Thank you!

Wait... There is a subreddit for SDC related stuff?

I see that  "someone" has been spreading the FITH rebuild rumor on reddit, with the added tidbit about it being an RMC project with a new powered car design. We'll see. We know that the reaper is getting closer and closer to FITH and Flooded Mine, but after the Mystic River debacle I'm far less excited to see the replacements. I will say they did a good job with the appearance and theming of Mystic River, but it's hard to like a ride that barely operates and has half the throughput of the ride it replaced. I definitely don't trust RMC to build a reliable ride, especially with a brand new highly technical design.

It's not just for SDC related stuff, but for all roller coaster and amusement park related news and topics.

r/rollercoasters

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 13, 2021, 04:42:16 PM »
I see that "someone" has been spreading the FITH rebuild rumor on reddit, with the added tidbit about it being an RMC project with a new powered car design. ......... I definitely don't trust RMC to build a reliable ride, especially with a brand new highly technical design.

This rumor is probably because RMC did a lot of track work on the Blazing Fury ride at Dollywood. The current track for both rides is that custom flat type rail and not the round...so more than likely they're just piecing those things together for the rumor (Hopefully). My wish though would be, with other manufactures with drop tracks, forward and reverse launches, track switches, etc., that SDC would go with one of those manufactures to give us another world class ride.

Give us a big ride like Disney does with a smaller "show building" inside the park with a large "ride building" outside the park hidden by trees, landscaping, etc.

Jay

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 14, 2021, 10:22:32 AM »
...My wish though would be, with other manufactures with drop tracks, forward and reverse launches, track switches, etc., ...

If they did go the route of upgrading it to more of a thrill ride, I hope that we also get another kids coaster soon since Fire in the Hole has a low height of 36". Our whole family loves Dragonflier at Dollywood. I would love it if we got a version of it, but with the brake run upgrade to allow for 2 train operations.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 14, 2021, 02:31:06 PM »
...My wish though would be, with other manufactures with drop tracks, forward and reverse launches, track switches, etc., ...

If they did go the route of upgrading it to more of a thrill ride, I hope that we also get another kids coaster soon since Fire in the Hole has a low height of 36". Our whole family loves Dragonflier at Dollywood. I would love it if we got a version of it, but with the brake run upgrade to allow for 2 train operations.

I don't think it would be too hard to intertwine one of these in with American Plunge. I've suggested a Mack custom Wild Mouse type coast before there too.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 14, 2021, 10:47:33 AM »
We are over thinking this.

A coaster like Taron at Phantasisland is what SDC needs. High thrill, not one inversion, not very tall but packed with fun and only half the themeing that Phantasialand put in to it.

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 17, 2021, 09:09:22 AM »
In a thread about Indian Ridge, MG posted some GIS info showing land that SDC/Herschland owns, It got me curious about what all they do own in the area. They have a bit more land than I realized. Just for fun, I'd love to hear your thoughts on what cool things they could do with it over the next decade.

I think this shows all of their lands in stone county(at least around SDC), it is possible they have some subsidiaries that own other land but all of this was in their company names.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #396 on: November 18, 2021, 03:15:45 PM »
Finally adding a resort would be the most obvious speculation. It's crazy that they haven't done this already. We were asking for it even before Dollywood added theirs, and now DW is adding SEVERAL more. An actual resort run by SDC would print money, so I don't know why they haven't jumped on it yet. It would be cheaper to build than some of their recent ride additions.

Other than that, I'm not sure. A lot of it is held strategically to keep competition/crap development away from SDC. If they sold it, the entire 76 drive in both directions would have even more crappy hotels and seedy businesses than it already has. In the olden days driving out to SDC felt like you stumbled upon something hidden in the woods, and this was on purpose - they bought a lot of this land a looong time ago.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #397 on: November 20, 2021, 12:03:34 PM »
Keep an eye on Indian Ridge.
SWOOSH

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 20, 2021, 03:04:46 PM »
So here's a quick look at some thoughts I've had. I like the idea of a hotel down by the lake. A second park on some of the Indian ridge land feels like a natural expansion and would add options to expand while keeping SDC more on theme.  A steampunk alternate history theme could be really fun. I'd love to see a new waterpark, with deeper more immersive theming.  the park and waterpark could share parking in the Indian ridge area. Last and maybe least likely an indoor resort hotel/entertainment complex. something similar to greatwolf lodge. I think its a stretch for them to do something like that but I think they could and it would be profitable.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #399 on: December 06, 2021, 09:22:27 AM »
I see that screamscape picked up the resort rumor.

After seeing the park myself this weekend and the dismal state of their staffing, I think the biggest hurdle to us getting a resort at this point is that there is no one left to run it. They can barely keep the park going at this rate.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 15, 2022, 08:24:20 PM »
Well, uhh... there's always this, I suppose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia_Coaster

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 18, 2022, 10:54:54 AM »
Keep an eye on Indian Ridge.

Oh no....not Indian Ridge (sarcasm inserted)!!!   The world need dozens more youtube videos and facebook posts exploring them.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 18, 2022, 11:03:40 AM »
Some serious rumors about a new FITH ride building going on.....this group believing them?

If true....I'm more curious about what they would do with the current building/site.  Room for some flat ride(s)? new show building? expand/replace saloon? Good spot to station a giga that goes out into woods? Create a loop with OR?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #403 on: January 18, 2022, 12:04:49 PM »
Yes, it's by far the popular rumor with plenty of signs pointing to it. We are talking about it more in the 2023 thread.

As for long term speculation, the area of the current train station and Flooded Mine is where I'd see another major "refresh" project in the medium term future. FM is obviously ancient, though it is a treasure and one of the best attractions in the park, IMO. SDC is terrible about maintaining things though, and they have been letting it literally rot apart for a decade now. Some great employees gave it their best to keep things running as smoothly as possible, but most are gone now. I don't think it will make it much longer without intervention, and there's no one left who would take up that charge.

They'll probably replace it with some flashy high thrill attraction with a gimmick and market it as a "family attraction". Maybe that Gerstlauer coaster we almost got years ago...

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 18, 2022, 04:57:53 PM »
Yes, it's by far the popular rumor with plenty of signs pointing to it. We are talking about it more in the 2023 thread.

Yeah.....I didn't see that convo till after I posted in here.

FM and the train station really don't take that much space.  I know FM is bigger that is seems but Fith building is larger than the train station and FM together.  I love to sneak in an HQ office somewhere to see these possible long-term ideas...lol

I would agree in the speculation that FM will end up being a complete deconstruction and new attraction.  I can't imagine them being able to 'modernize' it without a complete rebuild.  Enjoy while you can.