Author Topic: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)  (Read 159524 times)

Madtwins

• Jr. Citizen
  • My 3G network
    • View Profile
Re: to merge
« Reply #150 on: June 15, 2016, 09:04:24 PM »
FM is a classic and one of my family's favorite rides...something that everybody in the family is willing and can ride together. It would be a travesty if it were removed.

Yes it would be!!

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 15, 2016, 09:05:25 PM »
Shame on you t-n-t for suggesting such a thing. I'm almost thinking there needs to be some sort of screening that has to take place  before your allowed to  become an SDC fan member...LOL
Colorado SDC Fan

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2016, 07:52:00 AM »
Two for one rides are not unheard of Phantasialand is pulling this off right right now with a coastereo with triple launches and a family coaster sharing one immensely themed up area. It's the same thing I have suggested for an American Plunge redo, a new flume with reverse sections and all the latest tricks for those rides and a simple train themed coaster that shares the same footprint that briefly interacts with the flume like running side by side for a short moment lime the trains out west by a roaring river and crossing the splash zone of of one of the drops. It's a way to get more out of expensive theming like faux rockwork.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2016, 10:13:03 AM »
TNT has a point.....it is not a very exciting ride. 

Demo of people who love it: SDC fans, little ones (most boys) who love the guns, parents who appreciate the break off their feet, AC, and/or getting to ride as a family.

Demo of people who think it's a little dull:  Almost all teens, all older who aren't dragged on by a SDC fan or kid, Most of the GP. 

I would argue most of the GP who aren't theme park nerds or SDC fans are not going to understand uniqueness of the ride and won't be impressed with it's features, technology, or story.  I'd guess that it's not getting may rerides from that demo who is not impressed.  I bet it gets a lot of "that was cute" type of comments from new riders.....or a lot of "that was more boring than I remember" from reriders.

Remember that the closest thing to FM out their are all the newer indoor rides like the Justice Leagues at Six Flags, Spiderman at Universal, the Toy Story rides or other people mover rides at Disney.  FMs story and technology is just amatuer if you compare.  Which is why I still think the best way and maybe the only way to 'save' FM is a major investment in its tech and theming to make it more modern.  More interaction with improved interactive scenes.....digital guns with boats linked together...add a few screens to show leaderboards and create 'bonus rounds' between scenes......have story options via the interaction to make each trip unique. 
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2016, 10:24:55 AM »
Take away the guns and the closest thing out there is Pirates of the Caribbean or It's A Small World. 

Not everything has to be cutting edge - and by your argument that would mean FITH was getting lower ridership too and we know that's not the case
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2016, 10:48:19 AM »
Some tech could be improved; that's for sure, but take out the targets and turn the lights back out!  Make it a surprise around every corner like it's supposed to be.  It wasn't intended to be exciting; it was intended to be tongue-in-cheek funny.  All of the humor is sucked out of the ride because of the shootout.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2016, 10:51:34 AM »
True Swoosh....but FM is not selling any tickets anymore.....nor is FITH :(  No one is coming to SDC specifically to experience FM.  Maybe....Maybe....a few are coming for the collection of the old rides.  I understand they still have value and give value to the park....they are unique experiences the theme park nerds and SDC fans appreciate.....I love them but I'm a theme park nerd.....and SDC fan.  They took out the Flood Mine at Dollywood....? How much did that hurt there sales?  Again....I'm hoping that this huge project brings in a refurb/update to the ride.  Because the other option might be it completely goes away. 

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 16, 2016, 11:10:15 AM »
How do you know those rides don't sell tickets? On your earlier post about the demographics of who like or don't like...what data do you have to prove that. Do you know all teens and their opinions of the ride? Do you know all older who haven't been dragged on by a SDC fan or kid? I have sons and family members who fit in the demo that you state don't like the ride or find it dull and that is not the case at all for them. It is still one of their favorite rides...SDC is still a family park and it is important that they have family rides. Not all that is in the park has to be frilly and thrilly. I agree it may need to be updated, I'm happy with it as it is, but is a ride that needs to remain.
The day SDC loses it's theming and becomes nothing more than a Six Flags will be the day that they won't be selling me tickets. Hopefully it never gets to that point.
Colorado SDC Fan

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 16, 2016, 12:14:17 PM »
How do you know those rides don't sell tickets? On your earlier post about the demographics of who like or don't like...what data do you have to prove that. Do you know all teens and their opinions of the ride? Do you know all older who haven't been dragged on by a SDC fan or kid? I have sons and family members who fit in the demo that you state don't like the ride or find it dull and that is not the case at all for them. It is still one of their favorite rides...SDC is still a family park and it is important that they have family rides. Not all that is in the park has to be frilly and thrilly. I agree it may need to be updated, I'm happy with it as it is, but is a ride that needs to remain.
The day SDC loses it's theming and becomes nothing more than a Six Flags will be the day that they won't be selling me tickets. Hopefully it never gets to that point.

Completely agree with you....I'd want any refurb to be family friendly and not a Six Flag knock off....keep it a magical mix between new ride tech and SDC theming/charm.

I have no insider knowledge....just my observations and assumption.....not going to pretend they are accurate.  I haven't heard anyone I know say...."I've got my seasons passes to ride FM next year!"......"I can't wait to ride FM today" (except my son).....I'm assuming that if FM isn't open at the rope drop....no one is that upset....they just wait for later.  Even when the guns aren't working (which happens)....I doubt anyone going to management asking for their money back. 

Btw....my 7yo boys favorite ride is FM...it's one of the very few rides that my wife can ride with the kids (she doesn't do spinning or thrill rides).  I don't want to loose it.....I want is upgraded :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 12:16:02 PM by HumphreyHawk »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 16, 2016, 12:58:03 PM »
True Swoosh....but FM is not selling any tickets anymore.....nor is FITH :(  No one is coming to SDC specifically to experience FM.  Maybe....Maybe....a few are coming for the collection of the old rides.  I understand they still have value and give value to the park....they are unique experiences the theme park nerds and SDC fans appreciate.....I love them but I'm a theme park nerd.....and SDC fan.  They took out the Flood Mine at Dollywood....? How much did that hurt there sales?  Again....I'm hoping that this huge project brings in a refurb/update to the ride.  Because the other option might be it completely goes away.

There should have been a big stink made for FITH's 50th, then a massive overhaul complete with newer tech, better props and a new ride system all the while keeping the original and uniquely SDC storyline. But...at the burning bridge a whole new "in the dark" section complete with a drop track sequence at the bridge followed by launch into the darkness with photos of you during the drop availible at the new end of ride Fire in the hole gift shop complete with Baldknobber plushies and with I got my pants stolt on Fire in the Hole t shirts.

Video of drop track found here near end of the video linked, now imagine a burning bridge giving out at the end of the show aspect of FITH and launched thru darkness still complete with a splash or simulated splash  at the end.

https://youtu.be/ml9nZassOu8

I like Flooded Mine but it needs something done to bring it up to date. I'm sure SDC has been pitched by dozens of companies to do so. The story is good and the attraction is attractive.

But you are talking to someone that thinks a modern  new Diving Bell ride is a no brainer and should have happened already considering the tech out there today with simulation rides and video displays.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 01:03:30 PM by chittlins »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2016, 01:02:31 PM »
^Your speculation and reasoning all makes sense. It's being the devil's advocate on these forums though, lol.

"Upgrading" in the language of the PTB means essentially leveling the old attraction and building something brand new in semi-the same vein. The intricate flood prison mine theme will be eliminated in favor of some sort of PC/family-friendly/focus-group approved generic theme like "Mystery Mine". And don't forget the lame gimmicks thrown in to make it stand out from the competition like video screens that barely work or whatever.

Very very few classic dark ride "upgrades" turn out to be actual improvements. We've seen so many bite the dust over the past decade. Knott's stands out as a lone outlier that everyone points to, but I'm not sure the situations are the same here.

Anyway though, it's not worth getting too wound up until something actually happens. You never know where their plans will end up until the work actually begins.

I'm considering taking a trip in the near future after all to get an update. Might be a couple more weeks though.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 16, 2016, 01:08:27 PM »
I can see the Baldknobbers too closely linked to a group I will not  name by today's PC police.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2016, 02:04:40 PM »
We're getting way off topic. Perhaps a new thread should be started called "Save the SDC Classics" for these lengthy and passionately driven discussions around FM and FITH.

I know it's easy to get sucked into the black hole of side related issues, but as for this thread, can we just focus on speculation surrounding the ongoing work at the park? Until we see evidence of work happening in another area, let's stay focused on the area in and around EH. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2016, 05:08:25 PM »
I'm still curious how this pertains to 2017 attraction discussion
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2016, 06:21:10 PM »
Yeah the topic currently being discussed has trailed off course quite a bit. The initial statement about the Flooded Mine being changed or removed is still technically just speculation and rumor as it always has.

Is it August yet? lol