Author Topic: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)  (Read 157200 times)

Hollwood

Re: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2015, 04:16:25 PM »
I'm sot sure if I have shared this idea before or not but midtown would be a perfect place to preserve the crafts. I think a Chance Wipeout themed to a wooden top inside of a "toy shop" would be a great replacement for the treehouse. They could revive the wood carver area here as well as move the duplicating lathe. This toy shop would reminisce on the old wooden toys as well as offer today's hottest. It would give us crafts, shopping, and an indoor ride all in the same footprint.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2015, 04:40:43 PM »
Part of the problem is that SDC has relaxed its standards on vendors who "rent" shops.  It used to be that every shop had someone doing some aspect of their "craft" in the shop.  Nothing was made in China or prepackaged in a factory.  Now, a person with some money to invest can put their inventory in a shop almost as easily as a person can rent space in a strip mall in town.  I wonder if SDC has to search for vendors to fill the spaces.

Still, at this point Midtown is a mere transition area; to many it's like flyover country.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2015, 07:14:12 PM »
Getting back on topic, if they were to develop the midtown/treehouse/potentially even some of the landing area, what would they do? I'm thinking that at this point they would level the woodcutters shop, tree house, and Big Jacks and they would build an entirely new "street" with more dense shopping on either side. One of the buildings could have a fun house in it to replace Grandfather's Mansion.

I agree that some of the older stuff would need to be replaced. The tree house area would free a ton of space. It would really be nice if this area were revamped we could get a good coffeehouse with indoor and outdoor seating. Maybe have it connected to the mill where you could enjoy your coffee and cinnamon bread together. Not sure what could be done with the old grandfathers Facade. Probably would have to be gutted and maybe it could be home to the historical museum others have talked about. One thing for sure this area does need some love.
Love the idea of an indoor/outdoor coffee house connected to the mill...
Colorado SDC Fan

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2015, 07:30:49 PM »
I don't know if we need another coffee shop, we already have the bakery and it's to hot for coffee most of the season.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2015, 07:31:56 PM »
I'm sot sure if I have shared this idea before or not but midtown would be a perfect place to preserve the crafts. I think a Chance Wipeout themed to a wooden top inside of a "toy shop" would be a great replacement for the treehouse. They could revive the wood carver area here as well as move the duplicating lathe. This toy shop would reminisce on the old wooden toys as well as offer today's hottest. It would give us crafts, shopping, and an indoor ride all in the same footprint.

Yes, you have. It's a great idea in weatherproofing rides,  it harken back to when the carousel was inside. Several indoor flats would be grand.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2015, 07:42:16 PM »
I don't know if we need another coffee shop, we already have the bakery and it's to hot for coffee most of the season.

Not really. I'm not talking the horrible stuff they sell out of the premade machines. A Starbucks type establishment with made to order Coffee's ,Teas and other specialty drinks would go over big. Disney now has Starbucks in all there parks and its hotter than hades down there.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2015, 08:49:32 PM »
A spinning coaster is only a spinning coaster when the cars can spin freely. Some videos are taped when they have the cars locked and then they arent really considered a spinning coaster if they dont spin. This is the reason Im nervous and dont want it coming to SDC. Im afraid they will eventually turn off the spinners, just to take something away from the ride, like they do on every ride after it comes to SDC.

Hollywood, I usually try to stay away from arguing. Dont need that on here. But thanks for saying I remind you of you. :D I just try to share my knowledge with everybody on here and say my opinions. I also try to help people on here by letting them know where they messed up on here. I dont want anybody to look stupid.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:07:09 PM by Laroy »

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2015, 09:03:44 PM »
I'm afraid they will eventually turn off the spinners, just to take something away from the ride, like they do on every ride after it comes to SDC.

What have they taken away from WF, PK, TNT, Barn Swing, Lost River, or OR?

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2015, 09:23:53 PM »
WF: they took the cameras off the seats. PK: they took the water sprayers, pool, water from the creek, 30 minute wait sign, old sayings, stuff coming out of the doors, and the long way for row 1 away. TNT: They took the short entrance away/bridge, backwards cars, some signs, and campsite (i dont see it on either side now) away. Barn Swing: They changed long way #2, took out the fence that makes you go to the exit so they could put the lockers there (i think that wasnt a good idea to place them there. Should be outside, next to the fence), the 30 minute wait sign. LR: The waterfall doesnt shut off like it used to, being able to cross the bridge, and using lane 4 from the long way. OR: Still pretty new to take anything out, but they took out long way #3, opened up the other side and made it into stroller parking. Theres probably more but thats all I can think of, as of right now.

Thanks for bringing up the Midtown topic. I totally forgot they closed down the sandwich shop. Maybe since they got a pretty good size area of bare land/closed things, this might be a sign that there will be something going in there soon. But, they did move the woodcarvers to that new shop and they redid the bathrooms, so I dont think they will take those out.

I always saw this tan tower as I walked on Corscrew Pathway and thought it was part of Tom Sawyers Landings tan kiddie coaster. Then, when they took out the kiddie coaster, they left the tower and that got me scratching my head. It has a cable on it that is connected to the treehouse. Maybe this is a sign. I never thought of that until now.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:33:41 PM by Laroy »

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2015, 09:49:08 PM »
WF: they took the cameras off the seats. PK: they took the water sprayers, pool, water from the creek, 30 minute wait sign, old sayings, stuff coming out of the doors, and the long way for row 1 away. TNT: They took the short entrance away/bridge, backwards cars, some signs, and campsite (i dont see it on either side now) away. Barn Swing: They changed long way #2, took out the fence that makes you go to the exit so they could put the lockers there (i think that wasnt a good idea to place them there. Should be outside, next to the fence), the 30 minute wait sign. LR: The waterfall doesnt shut off like it used to, being able to cross the bridge, and using lane 4 from the long way. OR: Still pretty new to take anything out, but they took out long way #3, opened up the other side and made it into stroller parking. Theres probably more but thats all I can think of, as of right now.

PK: those weren't meant to be part of the ride and they still have the 30 minute wait sign, it's just in the wrong spot

TNT: when they added the backwards cars it was changing the ride, by removing them they restored the ride to the way it was

Barn Swing: doesn't really matter if you exit out the enter

LR: I've seen lane four used in the last month, and I don't think it's really their fault that the waterfall doesn't turn off completely

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2015, 10:55:19 PM »
That doesn't really make sense, Laroy. You still don't understand what a spinning coaster is, or you wouldn't be worried about them "turning off the spinning", and most of those examples are petty or not really related. I don't know of any spinning coaster that ever gets locked into place - it wouldn't make sense.

Once again getting back to the topic at hand though: a coffee shop is a good idea to me. Coffee isn't supposed to be a cooling drink, it's supposed to wake you up or in some cases help you relax. It would work well with everything else if they were to advertise midtown as a shopping/relaxing area again.

It is tough to find vendors. Like I've said numerous times before, the supply of authentic craftsmen is dwindling, and most of the few that remain don't want to work at SDC or on SDC's terms. I'll gladly accept them loosening their standards in that regard if it means getting more shops into the park. I'd rather have the authentic stuff, but in this case we may be choosing between something or nothing. Just as long as they don't start letting those magnetic jewelry people in.  ::)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2015, 12:02:10 AM »
I don't see why they can't bring in lower-wage workers and train them to do the "final touches" to items - and take their time doing it - and teach them to blow smoke about their "craft".  The illusion would be there, and the storytelling would be there.  All of that would lend authenticity to it even though it would be an illusion - kind of a metaphor of the whole park, just a romanticized illusion of history and reality.

My point is that the current stores there will not draw people to that section of the park.  They're just not special.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2015, 08:30:12 AM »
They can't even find enough workers for the park in general.  I'm not sure it would work to add another job category to the mix.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2015, 09:00:18 AM »
They can't even find enough workers for the park in general.  I'm not sure it would work to add another job category to the mix.

Back before CC closed, we noticed that several of the ride ops on the flat rides at both parks were eastern European and asia. I remember one sweet Asian lady operating the kiddie coaster in GE was barely able to speak English. I remember the Sea Loin show being done with folks with heavy Russian like accents.

It wasn't until after CC closed and the recession that this seemed to disappear.

Maybe it didn't but that's my perception.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2015, 08:34:04 AM »
I've always thought that SDC would be 'flooded' with starving artists/craftsman who would love to have their stuff featured in the park.  Seems like a great way to get your goods in front of people who just might come back and be a regular customer outside of the park.  You could even have some type of schedule of different artists and craftsman who could be featured to meet/watch through the different 'festivals'. 

I'm guessing the profit margin for selling the outside cheap goods are hard to ignore on the bottom line and I doubt any one feature artists/craftsman will increase ticket sales enough to justify hiring him/her over the cost of a 'regular' sales worker:(

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"