Author Topic: Spring Break 2015  (Read 5523 times)

hello_3721

• View Profile
Spring Break 2015
« on: February 27, 2015, 08:29:30 PM »
I'm possibly going to be at Branson/SDC for Spring Break depending on the weather.  Right now, Accuweather is saying it's supposed to be in the 50s the week of March 18th.  We have season passes so we'll come more than once this year.  I haven't been to SDC for about 4 years. 

Typically we've stayed at the Deer Run because of the shuttle bus to SDC, but it appears to be around $60 a night.  Are there cheaper alternatives?  I've looked at these forums and Classic Motor and Homestay are mentioned.  Although it appears that Homestay is closed?

Also what about shows and activities for kids?  We've generally stayed away from shows because my son is only 8 and just isn't into that kind of thing.  We've seen Ripley's, the wax museum, Ride the Ducks, and Titanic and done the Track and mini golf.  Are there any good, reasonably priced zip line places?  I've thought about the Haygoods show, but tickets are kinda expensive.  Is Branson 2 for 1 Tickets legitimate? 

Thanks       

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Spring Break 2015
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 09:12:09 PM »
Why not the Showboat Branson Belle?  That way if your son decides that the show is not his thing you can always go out and walk the decks.  I think he'd probably like Dixie Stampede too.
SWOOSH

hello_3721

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 10:44:33 PM »
We've actually done both the Showboat and the Dixie Stampede and enjoyed them. The Showboat is probably something we'll do in the summer with the season pass discount. Dixie Stampede was great albeit a little pricey. I wish they had better discounts.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 12:36:36 AM »
IMAX?
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 01:34:48 AM »
Motel:  Price?  For sure- Classic Motor Inn, Katy is runnimg a spring special for us through march.  ONLY 30.00 per night.  Cheap! Give her a call.

2 for 1 is legit, BUT don't carry tickets for all shows,,,  Call Michelle at All Access, higher than 2 for1, BUT she can save you money on The Haygoods. It is a Good, Family Friendly fun show,, We see them several times a year. Michelle has tickets to all the show (except Dixie),  How about Grand Country shows? the afternoon and evening show are both top quality.

There is a Fantastic Museum at the College of the OZarks, admittance is only 6 or 7.00 each and it has a little bit of everything, I have yet to see anyone "bored" there..  figure 2 or 3 hours there..  Also at the college is a tractor museum, last time I went it was free admittance. Pull the college up on the computer and check it out..

The fish hatchery below tablerock dam is fun and cheap, nice area to hang out and relax.

The Landing is always a good area to hang out, walk around look it over, get something to eat.. I don't shop.. but can hang out there 2 or 3 hours just looking around real easy

Ziplines? I don't know about prices on any of them.

I am sure others will have more ideas, 

Have Fun,  we will be there opening weekend!

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 07:33:09 AM »
Here is a link to a zipline in the Reeds Spring area. I would highly recommend. The website says reopening in March after the winter break. Around$ 70.00 per person. There might be some discounts out there if you look.

http://www.goziplineusa.com/

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 09:20:19 AM »
The cheapest one is at Shepherd of the Hills. Great views, and hands free device for photos. Great for the whole family~
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 05:36:10 PM »
The cheapest one is at Shepherd of the Hills. Great views, and hands free device for photos. Great for the whole family~

I would not call the SOTH one a true zipline. It is 1 trip down in a chair. The other ziplines have several different stations.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 06:05:58 PM »
On that thought. there is a zipline at the landing. "uncle petes" maybe, 
anyway you sit in a chair.  they pull you backwards uphill across taneycomo, and then release and you "zip" back to the landing spot..

Super

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 08:06:04 PM »
Free stuff: fish hatchery, Table Rock Lake Visitors Center, Landing, Tanger Outlet, plenty of walking trails in Branson.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 10:58:17 PM »
I will second what Super says!  The hatchery is fun and will get you access close to the water at Taneycomo.  The new visitor center at the dam is pretty cool, and the walking trails around the lake are great! There is another trail just across from the Branson Belle on the opposite side of the road (can't think of the name of the highway), but there are signs for it. There is a relatively new place in town that I heard kids really like - it's sort of zoo - I think it's the animals from Sight and Sound.  Have you been to the Butterfly House?  There a few new new attractions at the Landing; some sort of balloon lift?  You might check the theatres for a family pass.  It's really too bad the Paddlewheel is no longer open.  That's a fun trip down Taneycomo.  And, if you're walking the trails, go all the way to the State Park Marina.  It's kind of fun to hang around there for awhile, get a burger, watch boats, and feed the fish.  While you're on Indian Point (SDC road) go all the way down to the end and have a meal at that marina.  Lots of fish, ducks, and turtles in the water.  The food is pretty good, also.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 11:04:24 PM »
The animal place is called The Promise Land Zoo.  Check Groupon for a discount.

hello_3721

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 03:08:07 PM »
Thanks for all the info!  You guys have great ideas!  I'm not sure how much extra time we will have on this trip, but I will definitely keep them in mind for our summer trip. 

For the Classic Motor Inn, how do I get the $30 rate?  Do I just call them and mention this forum?  Thanks. 

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 05:20:40 PM »
That's all it takes.  You need to ask for Katy (KD) and then mention the special rate for SDCFans.  I'm not sure when the off-season discount will expire, though.  The seasonal discount is still very much worth it.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 06:23:46 PM »
The "off" season discount is good until End of this march..Just remind them of the SDCFans price of 30.00.

OF course our regular price for the rest of the year is only 38.00 as most of you already know.....