Author Topic: SDC coaster 5k  (Read 5920 times)

Sungod

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
SDC coaster 5k
« on: May 17, 2014, 08:11:49 AM »

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: SDC coaster 5k
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 11:17:15 AM »
That's interesting!  If you're not participating that may be a good weekend to avoid...
I'm Your Huckleberry

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 04:29:20 PM »
Hmmm??   checkd my schedule...... Lucky enough that is an "off; weekend for us... ;)

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 09:21:28 AM »
Well crap...we always come to the park that weekend. That is a three-day weekend for Illinois schools, but not Missouri. It's usually a nice weekend to visit.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 12:06:07 PM »
lol, I like the knee-jerk assumption that this race will make the park not worth visiting that day. Even if they get 1,000 runners that decided to do the roller coaster portion (doubtful), that's hardly noticeable, especially on an autumn weekend that isn't usually crowded anyway.

Sounds like an interesting event, though I'm getting a little leery of the myriad of profit-driven 5k events that are springing up these days. I'm glad they seem to be helping people get into running though.

adamslate

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 04:15:36 PM »
Hey guys, I hope it's okay for me to jump into this conversation...  I'm the director of the Roller Coaster Race, and wanted to clarify a few things about the event.  First, we're really trying hard to make sure it captures the character of Branson, rather than being a cookie cutter race series.  We're working with the City of Branson, Silver Dollar City, and our local charity partners and sponsors.  Second, we're planning it for a weekend when the park (and city) isn't expected to be extremely crowded.  Even though everyone who participates in the event--both runners and roller coaster riders--gets a park ticket with their registration, the park will still have plenty of capacity.  I'm confident every visitor to Silver Dollar City will enjoy themselves that weekend whether they're doing the event or not!

I hope that addresses some of your concerns.  You can always feel free to email me through our web site (www.rollercoasterrace.com).  I'm really looking forward to a great event.

Best,
Adam Slate, Race Director

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 08:46:56 AM »
Thanks for checking in and clarifying those things Adam

Don't get us wrong, we're all about supporting authentic Branson events and businesses, even if some of us don't fall under the target demographic.

I do hope it is a success as we need events like this to keep Branson relevant.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 01:50:42 PM »
This looks like an awesome event...I wish I didn't live 12hrs away. I want to compete so bad...as do my sons...hopefully it will be a hit and become an annual thing...
Colorado SDC Fan

HikerDan

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 09:35:46 PM »
If the park isn't expected to be busy on that day then I wouldn't expect the park to make much of an effort to make sure that all the roller coasters, or swings, are up-and-running on a timely basis...on that day.

We've seen that a hundred times: Not a big crowd expected?...then cut back on the labor hours and don't worry about getting certain rides up and running at park opening.

Think I'll skip the roller coaster 5k thing, as all riders will be rushing for whatever rides so happen to be open early on that day.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 10:39:49 PM »
If the park isn't expected to be busy on that day then I wouldn't expect the park to make much of an effort to make sure that all the roller coasters, or swings, are up-and-running on a timely basis...on that day.

We've seen that a hundred times: Not a big crowd expected?...then cut back on the labor hours and don't worry about getting certain rides up and running at park opening.

Think I'll skip the roller coaster 5k thing, as all riders will be rushing for whatever rides so happen to be open early on that day.

We've sometimes noted that at other parks, but not SDC. If a major ride at SDC fails to be open when the park opens in the morning, it is almost always due to an issue during inspection or whatever. Sometimes they don't have as many trains running as we'd like, but that's something else entirely. SDC makes more effort to have rides open and operating smoothly than most parks I've visited.

Once again I'm not understanding the knee-jerk negative reactions in this thread.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 06:11:31 PM »
Hey guys, I hope it's okay for me to jump into this conversation...  I'm the director of the Roller Coaster Race, and wanted to clarify a few things about the event.  First, we're really trying hard to make sure it captures the character of Branson, rather than being a cookie cutter race series.  We're working with the City of Branson, Silver Dollar City, and our local charity partners and sponsors.  Second, we're planning it for a weekend when the park (and city) isn't expected to be extremely crowded.  Even though everyone who participates in the event--both runners and roller coaster riders--gets a park ticket with their registration, the park will still have plenty of capacity.  I'm confident every visitor to Silver Dollar City will enjoy themselves that weekend whether they're doing the event or not!

I hope that addresses some of your concerns.  You can always feel free to email me through our web site (www.rollercoasterrace.com).  I'm really looking forward to a great event.

Best,
Adam Slate, Race Director

I think it sounds great!  What a novel idea!! 

HikerDan

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 12:21:32 AM »

We've sometimes noted that at other parks, but not SDC. If a major ride at SDC fails to be open when the park opens in the morning, it is almost always due to an issue during inspection or whatever. Sometimes they don't have as many trains running as we'd like, but that's something else entirely. SDC makes more effort to have rides open and operating smoothly than most parks I've visited.

Once again I'm not understanding the knee-jerk negative reactions in this thread.

I have to disagree completely on this subject.  Of all the parks we've visited, with SDC being the most visited by far, SDC has performed the worst at having their top rides up and running at park opening.  This especially happens on days when there is light traffic in the park.  Over the last 12-15 years we've averaged anywhere from 10 to 20 visits per year to SDC (we live close and it's a wonderful place to frequent) but SDC is notorious for not putting forth their best effort to having their rides functioning after the National Anthem plays.

We've learned over the years to just shrug it off, or to laugh it off, and move on to enjoy the many different aspects of the park.

I've noticed one thing though:  If a very, very busy day is expected, or if some perceived important enthusiast group is expected to visit the park whom could possibly portray the thrill rides at SDC in a negative manner for a national audience which may be influenced by what that "special" group's opinion is of the operations at SDC --then you can bet your "buttocks" that the PTB will make sure ALL thrill rides are up and running, ON TIME, ready to impress the people that are important in their business philosophy. They CAN make those rides run, in most instances, than not.

Fortunately we love the variety of entertainment at SDC and have just learned to brush off what we can't control, spend our $$$ sparingly around the place, and give positive feedback to the remaining great aspects of the place.

Timely start-ups of their rides NOT being one of the "great" aspects of the place.   

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 06:33:07 AM »

I have to disagree completely on this subject.  Of all the parks we've visited, with SDC being the most visited by far, SDC has performed the worst at having their top rides up and running at park opening.  This especially happens on days when there is light traffic in the park.  Over the last 12-15 years we've averaged anywhere from 10 to 20 visits per year to SDC (we live close and it's a wonderful place to frequent) but SDC is notorious for not putting forth their best effort to having their rides functioning after the National Anthem plays.

We've learned over the years to just shrug it off, or to laugh it off, and move on to enjoy the many different aspects of the park.

I've noticed one thing though:  If a very, very busy day is expected, or if some perceived important enthusiast group is expected to visit the park whom could possibly portray the thrill rides at SDC in a negative manner for a national audience which may be influenced by what that "special" group's opinion is of the operations at SDC --then you can bet your "buttocks" that the PTB will make sure ALL thrill rides are up and running, ON TIME, ready to impress the people that are important in their business philosophy. They CAN make those rides run, in most instances, than not.

Fortunately we love the variety of entertainment at SDC and have just learned to brush off what we can't control, spend our $$$ sparingly around the place, and give positive feedback to the remaining great aspects of the place.

Timely start-ups of their rides NOT being one of the "great" aspects of the place.   

I agree. The rides should not be doing test runs after the rope drops. They should be ready to go. I thought I was the only one who thought this.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 10:40:32 AM »
At least they don't open the park in waves as others do.  I always thought it to be ridiculous when parks do this.  And then they think they have to print or post all the ride opening times for visitors - just more clutter.  Open the rides at opening time.  I wonder if SDC has just not estimated the test times correctly or the operators just take longer than they should.  There is something to be said for allowing a little line to build up though and get the crowds out of the "streets".
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 11:28:18 PM »
I have run the "lights" run in November the past 2 years, great course, beautiful once you get into the park for the last 3/4 mile, this course is the same one used there utilizing the lots, and ending in the park. I would love to run it and see the park in the daytime on a run, but with a little one on the way, the price is a bit steep ( as we were gifted with season passes we have no need for a pass for the day) although it is a good deal for any others interested that do not have passes already.

Hope someone can send pics of they run it.