Author Topic: Star Spangled Summer  (Read 3791 times)

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Star Spangled Summer
« on: June 21, 2014, 06:52:08 PM »
Anyone have anything to say about the new summer festival? Has anyone been to the 2 new shows?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Star Spangled Summer
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 06:45:18 AM »
Yep, saw the magic show last weekend.. he was pretty good...... 

BUT if you go, schedule says a 30 minute show?  NOPE 45 minutes

Saw Carrie Nation again,  Saw/heard a few things I missed the first time....  So I will do it again....  show is a little "cheesy", but it is a welcome change..

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 07:43:50 AM »
We are making a last minute trip next week. We had not planned on going to SDC this year but got a chance to get away. Do not know if we will do any of the shows or not. The whole star spangled summer thing just does not click with me for some reason. If we see the new shows I will try to report on them for you. I am looking more to a day on the lake and have a ski boat rented for a day. Might even do the Shepard of the hills for old times sake and to help them out a little. Depends on the heat.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 08:49:14 AM »
I'm still having a hard time seeing how this festival is any different than Kids Fest.  The shows are still the same genre as those during Kids Fest.  The only main difference I can see is that we don't have the tacky tents on the square with activities that never got used anyway.
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »
Swoosh,, there are several tents on the square now, with building blocks,, Lincoln logs,  different games, checkers and so on...

So other than the different name and the flags/banners....  there is very little difference

mammalone

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 10:08:14 AM »
The tents are in the square with the building blocks and others activities. And yep, none was using them. Just people sitting under them for some shade. I suppose the only thing I noticed was the red white and blue everywhere.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 01:35:35 PM »
I never (Read NEVER) liked Kids Fest, and I figured this would be much of the same.

Having said that, just the title is more inclusive of younger and older families.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 04:28:49 PM »
Sounds like it is just lipstick on a pig then.  That's unfortunate.  The shows are still "kid-related" -- wish they could include something that everyone could enjoy.  I guess that's what the rides are for and the "usual shows"
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 05:02:41 PM »
Sounds like it is just lipstick on a pig then.  That's unfortunate.
I couldn't agree more.

Its a cheap shot at a " new " festival.  I wish they would dump some cash into the park itself and forget about the new festival.  In all honesty it seems they used to do a better job before the corp was awarded control.  I  am asking myself if I am going to buy a seasons pass next year and this is the first time in many that the money may be directed to another avenue of entertainment.  My entire family bought passes last year and not a one of them renewed this year but me.  SDC is not exciting me or enticing me to spend money with them.  Time to seek a new path possibly.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 05:06:30 PM »
Are they still doing the water baloon toss and banana split eating contest?  i didn't see them listed in the pathfinder...
I'm Your Huckleberry

Citydweller84

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 09:57:05 PM »
Are they still doing the water baloon toss and banana split eating contest?  i didn't see them listed in the pathfinder...

I was at SDC both Saturday and Sunday and there were chalk markings in the main square for the water balloon toss. So I would assume it was going on but I just didn't personally see it.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 11:32:17 AM »
Hubby and I spent most of the day at the city on 6/27. Saw the Magic of Brad Ross at the Opry House. He and his crew all used to work for Disney. Show is geared to a Disney/Nickelodeon aged audience. Music before and during the show is top 40 rock and hip-hop from the past couple of years. Kids were brought up on stage to participate. It was okay but I won't go back if I make another trip to the park before the festival is over.

Went to see the Flying Aces in Red/Gold Heritage Hall. 5 guys in cast -- cast members rotate throughout the festival. On Friday one guy was a recent participant on American Ninja Warriors, plus the others were Olympians or former champions of their sports. Tricks are all on 2 large trampolines -- some tricks are done with skis and snowboards on the trampolines.  Music before and during the show is top 40 rock, hip-hop, and is EXTREMELY LOUD. Enjoyed the show and would go back but sure wish the music was not so loud.

Also saw the Saloon Show. Rude citizen who gave us the hard time back in April is no longer working there or at least she was not there on Friday nor have I seen her on my May visits. What we got yelled at for doing back in April is what they were having people do on Friday in terms of waiting to see if there was room for additional people. Cast is much larger than it has been for the various saloon shows in previous years. We enjoyed most of the show -- seemed to slow down after Carrie and her crew entered.

We left the park late afternoon but came back for the evening show in Echo Hollow. Other than special concerts and events, it was the first time we have gone to the evening show in years. Music was good but we left at intermission along with much of the audience. The comedy is very weak. No one sitting around us was laughing. The benches are extremely hard.  Really do think it would be better to do a 50 -60 minute show and eliminate the intermission.

The name has been changed but this is still Kids Fest.