Author Topic: A Unique Souvenir  (Read 3904 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
A Unique Souvenir
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:17:21 PM »
We arrived at the park, yesterday, and raced to ThuNderaTion, thinking my daughter could ride.  She loved Big Thunder Railroad at the Magic Kingdom, last month, and we mistakingly thought we had remembered the height requirements were the same for both coasters.  Amazingly, we were wrong (It's the first time we've ever been wrong, of course.)   :o

Imagine our surprise when the operators informed us that we were idiots if we thought we were ever going to ride ThuNderaTion.  OK, so they were nicer about it than that, not daring to call us any names, but they gave us a card they call a Pony Express Pass.  On the card was a wooden token (like a wooden nickel) that has the height requirement on it.  The card explains that the token can be brought back when she reaches 42 inches and we can go to the front of the line with no wait.  Of course, we'll never use it - it's too good of a souvenir, and the line at TNT isn't long enough to waste it.

The card had this poem on the front:

Save this token,
We aren't jokin'!

Go to the front of the line,
Saves you tons of time.

Grow with all your might
Just a little more height.

Then exchange this treasure
For a ride full of pleasure!

Does anyone know of any other unique and rare souvenirs out there?  At one time we had heard one of the jewelry places would give a baby her first ring, but we never have been able to confirm that.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

Re: A Unique Souvenir
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 09:24:15 PM »
^Wow!  Definitely save that card/token.  I've never even heard of the Pony Express Pass!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 09:29:02 PM »
I've heard of this elusive coin thing before, but I've never seen it passed out before, even when guests were turned down for the height requirement. I think they must have a really limited supply, you were really lucky!

Anyone have any of the original Silver Dollars that were passed out during SDC's early days?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 09:27:50 PM »
^^^That is cool! To my knowledge, we have never gotten anything like that. And I also have never heard of the Pony Express Pass.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

MattPaasch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 03:14:19 PM »
The ring rumor is true. The jewelry shop near PowederKeg gives them out to newborns. They are the wire jewelry. Really neat and what a great souvenir!

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 05:13:14 PM »
On my last visit to the City, I experienced the Pony Express Pass.  Well, actually...I was at the other end of the Pony Express Pass.  After waiting in line for a front row seat on Wildfire, I was told that I had to wait two extra turns because someone with the Pony Express Pass wanted to ride in the front. 

Which they did...twice.  They came in through the exit and made the other park guests waiting for the front row hold their turn on the ride.  Other parks do something similar, I just though that it was a strange policy to allow them to "choose" the front row since that row usually takes a bit longer to reach.

Great concept and benefit if you receive it though!
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

DocSpeleo

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 07:52:16 PM »
I got a picture of the 36" token.... I have the others but left them at work this one was handed to me later and I hadn't put it in my locker...

sdcforever

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 08:53:30 PM »
^Cool!  Thanks for the pic. :)

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 10:19:16 AM »
My daughter got one of those 2 years ago on TNT.  We never used it.  I think she has it in her treasure box.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey