Author Topic: Star Flyer Ride to be Pitched for OKC's Bricktown  (Read 4531 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Star Flyer Ride to be Pitched for OKC's Bricktown
« on: July 08, 2014, 12:06:10 PM »
A star flyer ride may come to downtown OKC of all places. http://newsok.com/bricktown-design-committee-will-hear-pitch-for-220-foot-high-star-flyer-ride/article/4986423

Sounds like a very intriguing proposal. There are a few of us on here who love the idea of mixed attraction districts, and this could really help take bricktown to the next level as an exciting and unique destination.

The group behind it is pitching the idea to city officials tomorrow to see if they can get a little support or at least blessings to proceed. If they hit a wall, it probably won't go anywhere. I'm not getting my hopes up, but at least it shows a little life and ingenuity in OKC.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Star Flyer Ride to be Pitched for OKC's Bricktown
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 12:36:54 PM »
A star flyer ride may come to downtown OKC of all places. http://newsok.com/bricktown-design-committee-will-hear-pitch-for-220-foot-high-star-flyer-ride/article/4986423

Sounds like a very intriguing proposal. There are a few of us on here who love the idea of mixed attraction districts, and this could really help take bricktown to the next level as an exciting and unique destination.

The group behind it is pitching the idea to city officials tomorrow to see if they can get a little support or at least blessings to proceed. If they hit a wall, it probably won't go anywhere. I'm not getting my hopes up, but at least it shows a little life and ingenuity in OKC.

You are seeing more and more of this, particularly with the  mega ferris wheels. Ala Carte pricing for signature rides in places like entertainment districts that appeal to couples out on the town or the tourists with kids without the expense of a theme park for the owner and user. I seem to know a rollercoaster that could have basically been a stand alone attraction in Branson till a redevelopment of the entire property could be acheived.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 03:03:55 PM »
Very Cool. ;D

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 09:00:46 PM »
Shave-You from the OKC area?  Just wondering....I'm in Cushing, about 1/2 way between Tulsa and OKC.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 03:45:22 PM »
As I understand it, Shave went to OU, but has since graduated and moved to Tulsa.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 05:30:03 PM »
^Yup, that's exactly it. I still tour around OKC all the time though.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 09:45:11 PM »
It looks like the flyer has been shot down:  "not a good fit for the historic district".
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 10:11:38 PM »
It looks like the flyer has been shot down:  "not a good fit for the historic district".

Historic? Bricktown? That's funny right there. I get that some old buildings were used and all but come on, San Antonio called and said they want their riverwalk back. No, really, it's basically ideas gleaned from other cities(throwback baseball stadium), to outright ripoffs like I mentioned, and that's not a bad thing as long as it's fun for all.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:47:58 PM by chittlins »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 03:29:44 PM »
That's been my take for years.  I grew up in and around OKC, and I've always been disappointed that they don't think more creatively and pretty much steal concepts from other cities.  I still think to rename a section of the South Canadian River to the Oklahoma River is more than a little pretentious!  Please!

And just because a building is old doesn't mean it's historic.  Did anything historic ever happen in Bricktown, or are they just a bunch of old utilitarian structures?  I've had my share of Oklahoma history, but I don't recall anything really significant about downtown area itself.

Anyway, I was in downtown OKC, a couple of weeks ago, and noted how nice things truly look down there.  It's a huge improvement over 20 years ago.  And we didn't even go to the River Walk or Bricktown.  Something like a romantic and classy ride experience could add to the ambiance, but I doubt it would change the mood of a place like Bricktown.  How does this detract from or disrespect the so-called historic district and a bunch of bars with flashing neon signs in the windows don't?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 08:36:26 PM »
That's been my take for years.  I grew up in and around OKC, and I've always been disappointed that they don't think more creatively and pretty much steal concepts from other cities.  I still think to rename a section of the South Canadian River to the Oklahoma River is more than a little pretentious!  Please!

And just because a building is old doesn't mean it's historic.  Did anything historic ever happen in Bricktown, or are they just a bunch of old utilitarian structures?  I've had my share of Oklahoma history, but I don't recall anything really significant about downtown area itself.

Anyway, I was in downtown OKC, a couple of weeks ago, and noted how nice things truly look down there.  It's a huge improvement over 20 years ago.  And we didn't even go to the River Walk or Bricktown.  Something like a romantic and classy ride experience could add to the ambiance, but I doubt it would change the mood of a place like Bricktown.  How does this detract from or disrespect the so-called historic district and a bunch of bars with flashing neon signs in the windows don't?

While reading about it, I saw where someone is building an indoor FEC center down there, I just view it as a nice progression to a more diverse demographic. I'm a big fan of this kind of stuff like ala carte rides and such as witnessed with my rants on Celebration City. I notices the comments on the OK 9 facebook page and I couldn't believe how many thought this was going to paid for by tax money. Looks like the town is very ill informed on it.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 11:21:47 AM »
I know its a little off topic, but I got the opportunity to play at the Wormy Dog in Bricktown last Saturday. We put on an hour and a half concert and it was great fun!