Author Topic: when was your first?  (Read 9738 times)

fdevine1

• View Profile
Re: when was your first?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 01:01:25 PM »
P.S. It is my place of choice to go. I've had health problems including surgery that prevented me from going the past two seasons. But next year I'll be strong enough. Even if I have to ride in one of the electric carts. See you there.

Frances

sdcforever

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 01:13:27 PM »
Welcome to the site, Frances, and thanks for sharing!  I think you capture a lot of the attraction of SDC with your post--the intangibles.  I hope you enjoy your trip next season! :)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 05:57:06 PM »
*jumps up & down and waves excitedly*

WELCOME, Frances!!! Glad you joined us here! Nice to have a bit more crossover between here and the sadly-quiet SDCFans Yahoogroup.

You'll love it here, I'm sure.

My first visit to SDC was in 1994, at the age of 9. So for me, SDC hasn't changed as much from my first visit to now as it has for many of you between *your* first visits and present-day.

However, I do remember a few things fondly that are no longer around, such as actually getting to walk behind the waterfall, and the Greedy Bros play area on the Riverfront.

And of course must give a moment of silence for the Balloon Chase and Becky's Carousel. The Balloon Chase was my nephew's favorite ride at SDC, and I'm sad that it seems I'll never get to share it with my little niece. Hopefully they'll bring back the carousel, in some form or another (*crosses fingers for Carousel of Seasons*).

Also a quick remembrance for the kiddie mining coaster; I knew ye well. And the original petting zoo area; the new location just doesn't seem as alive as the one in the Landing.

I really don't remember much about that first visit to SDC, as the memories of my childhood and pre-teen years spent there have kind of melted together.

My most vivid memories come from a year or two later, when we went for opening day (which back then was still in April and the first day of World Fest). I remember sitting near the Gazebo Stage on Main Street, watching Buzz Aldrin give his opening day speech.

Later, our family ran into the Hughes Brothers at Geyser Gulch and we all had a fun time shooting at each other (by that point in time, we'd fast become HUGE fans of the Hughes Brothers, and every time we'd go to their show, we were always the last to leave, as my parents would get into deep conversations with them [most commonly between my dad and Marty]).

A lot of great memories have been made and shared at SDC, and I am SOOOOO excited about the upcoming year, a year especially special for remembering all the good times (because there really ARE no bad times--I've only had one or two not-as-great times at SDC, and it has never been because of the park and more about personal issues amongst the people I've been with; gotta love family. LOL).

Joy

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 08:13:23 PM »
"That's when all the weight s of the world just fall awy and I relax completely." 

Sounds like a new marketing slogan to me.  Good job, and welcome to the forum.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

HollyAnn

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 08:45:58 PM »
I am not sure when my first visit was.  I know that my first trip to Branson was in August or September of 1991.  I would have been 4, turning 5 in December.  I'm sure we visited SDC but I don't remember.  Honestly, I don't really remember not ever going to SDC.  My family moved to Joplin in August of 1992 and we visited SDC and after realizing how close we were, we traded in our tickets for season passes and have had them ever since.  I do remember a few things from my early visits.  Walking behind the water fall.  The cloggers on the stage in front of the water fall.  I also remember the old Echo Hollow show with Chosen Few and Pure Heart.  My first "big kid ride" was Thunderation, I and I remember being scared to death but getting back in line to go again!  But a memory I will always have are my Christmases spent in the City. Mom would make me and my sister wear our snow suites to stay warm.  One year we were waiting for the saloon show and big, beautiful snow flakes started to fall.  It was beautiful! 

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 03:43:19 PM »
Bringing up an old topic......

Reading posts of people's first visit to SDC and upcoming first visits, I was wondering if you remembered what it was like that first time you went?

My first visit was May of 1979 and I just turned 8 years old. I remember having a great time playing in the tree house, riding Fire In the Hole and the train. I also remember not wanting to ride the flooded mine because I thought I heard someone say there were bats in there and my dad being upset with me for not riding. I'm not sure how long we stayed but it seemed like all day. I had no clue about Grandfather's Mansion or the Float Trip....man I really wish I would have been able to ride the Float Trip. That was the first of many visits with the family.

My daughter and I went this last year (2013), and she doesn't ride much so we basically did just a few rides, took in some shows, ate food, and looked through all the shops (spend two days doing this). That really was one of my most favorite trips of the year, it reminded me so much of the SDC that I experienced growing up.

Jay

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 04:07:26 PM »
I have no clue what year it happened but it was early 70's.  I remember that FITH was the end of the park on that side, and the FM was the end on its side.  Also, the FM had the rock slide and the projected faces....MUCH better back then.  GM had the waterfall at the entrance and the train ride seemed like you rode WAY out into the woods!  Jim Owens Float Trip was one of my favorites.  SOTH was always part of our vacation as was Mutton Hollow.  The drive from "Branson" and Mutton Hollow, SOTH and SDC was much longer back then!   ;D

Great!  Thinking back about the "good 'ol days" has now got me depressed!!! :'(

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 08:55:08 AM »
My proto-first visit would have been 1988, just before I was born.  Apparently a man (Mom says it was a Picker, were they there in '88?) accused my mother of smuggling watermelons.  My first actual visit would have been in '89 or '90. There are some photos of me with my parents and grandparents on the carousel and in front of the Wilderness Church.

My first visit that I can really remember (and peg down a date) would be summer of '94, so my memories match Joy's (although I was a tad younger):

My first visit to SDC was in 1994, at the age of 9. So for me, SDC hasn't changed as much from my first visit to now as it has for many of you between *your* first visits and present-day.

However, I do remember a few things fondly that are no longer around, such as actually getting to walk behind the waterfall, and the Greedy Bros play area on the Riverfront.

And of course must give a moment of silence for the Balloon Chase and Becky's Carousel. The Balloon Chase was my nephew's favorite ride at SDC, and I'm sad that it seems I'll never get to share it with my little niece. Hopefully they'll bring back the carousel, in some form or another (*crosses fingers for Carousel of Seasons*).

Also a quick remembrance for the kiddie mining coaster; I knew ye well. And the original petting zoo area; the new location just doesn't seem as alive as the one in the Landing.

I really don't remember much about that first visit to SDC, as the memories of my childhood and pre-teen years spent there have kind of melted together.

Most everything I remember centered around the Tom Sawyer area: Balloon chase, Becky's Carousel, the ball pit and rope course, kiddie coaster, and the petting zoo (RIP).  The awesome air guns up in Huck Finn's treehouse, shooting at red long-johns hung up in the trees -- when I could muster up the courage to walk across the bridge. Also loved walking behind the Waterfall. :) My other real memory would be from Fire-in-the-Hole. I was a bit scared of the dark element of the ride, but I had to be braver than my cousin who was there with me. The old car seats in lane 3 was the only thing protecting me (in my mind). In fact, I requested the car seat the next season even when I didn't need it. I must have played on the Greedy Brothers play area, but for the life of me I just can't quite remember it. :( I'm pretty sure I remember the Opera House being under construction, but that would have been a year prior I think.  But I can say I remember the Lakefront without GG!
We made a trip to SDC every year, and my young memories of those times have all run together a bit, but they are still wonderful! :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:16:01 AM by Ozarks Gal »
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 10:52:15 PM »
1991 when I was 4 years old. Don't really remember that year, they all kind of run together.  I do remember all the times riding thunderation again...and again...and again...and then hitting FITH again...and again...and again.  Always loved doing the american plunge and lost river, shootout etc.  Used to do the water rides a lot more.  Same with Grandpa's house.
One regret is that I do not remember ever walking behind the waterfall.  I can remember seeing people doing it from the lumbercamp, but don't remember ever doing it myself.  :'(
I also remember not wanting to go in the cave, then leaving for the year and secretly regretting I didn't.  The next year I made it a point to go.  It was so eery and cool.  I was so nervous at first, and when they take the picture before going down I almost ran back!  But then it was awesome, of course.
Another recurring memory for me as well is getting back in the car for the way back to the cabin and it being so HOT!  :o
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.