Author Topic: Compton Ridge auction  (Read 13606 times)

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
Compton Ridge auction
« on: November 27, 2013, 07:34:28 PM »
Those of you that know me know how fond I am of this place. I'll have more to say about this later, but I'm pretty bummed right now. Been there since 1968 or so another Branson treasure likely gone for good. Sorry I can't provide a link but if you go to auctionzip.com and search Compton ridge you'll find the sale bill

[[/img]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 07:40:26 PM by thelarsonsix »
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Compton Ridge auction
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 07:47:16 PM »
they are selling everything...  No word about property??  that's odd..  unless it has already been sold, and buyers didn't want any of the goodies.. (but I doubt it)..

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=1964086&kwd=compton%20ridge&zip=65615&category=0

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 08:13:25 AM »
Sad to hear this. Remember, folks...there is a bench on the porch of a building there with a"Lost Silver Mine" Play billboard on it. That would be a goodie for a SDC/Branson collector.  Some of my fellow Dugan boys actually camped out all summer in RVs at Compton Ridge back around '80 or '81. We were young and sturdy fellows, but the idea of spending ALL summer in an RV at a campground that many of the people you saw on park all day were also staying at did not appeal to me.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 08:57:24 AM »
Is there any possibility that SDC has purchased the property since it is right across the road from the Wilderness plus the SDC health clinic building is on the front of the Compton Ridge property?

Hollwood

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 09:23:48 AM »
Silver Dollar City Resort?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 10:01:57 AM »
If SDC is smart, they did buy it. Who knows? It would be good for some company expansion. Health clinic, a SDC hotel, campground expansion, new White Water location, the possibilities are endless. If nothing else, they could keep the property for a buffer zone from the development in Branson.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 11:21:13 AM »
Sad to hear this. Remember, folks...there is a bench on the porch of a building there with a"Lost Silver Mine" Play billboard on it. That would be a goodie for a SDC/Branson collector.  Some of my fellow Dugan boys actually camped out all summer in RVs at Compton Ridge back around '80 or '81. We were young and sturdy fellows, but the idea of spending ALL summer in an RV at a campground that many of the people you saw on park all day were also staying at did not appeal to me.

I believe I posted some pics of that bench somewhere on here, but thanks for reminding me I wasn't even thinking about that. I might try to get down there and see if I can get it.

http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=683.msg32477#msg32477
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 11:36:33 AM by thelarsonsix »
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 11:35:46 AM »
Now that I've got a real keyboard, I'd like to share my thoughts and feelings on this. I truly am heartbroken over this. It may seem silly, but this is the place we have stayed almost every summer for the last 10 years or so. My kids have grown up staying there, we've had many friends and family camp there with us over the years, and have made a ton of memories there. This is not the first time it's changed hands, but the piece meal auctioning off of the fixtures and furnishings tells me it will be the last. At least as a functioning campground.

To the best of my knowledge, Compton Ridge was opened sometime around 1968 by Dean and Vinita Sims. They were still the owners and operators along with their son Jeff when we started going there in the early 2000's. Sometime around 2005-2006 it was sold to Legacy RV resorts, which a franchise RV park operator with a not so great reputation. There were a couple of reasons given for why it was sold, Dean's age and health were one, but there were other factors and without getting into their personal life too much I will just say they experienced some tragedy in their lives. At any rate after the Legacy took over, the change was instant and apparent. Corporate ownership and control had taken the place of a hands on family ran business. Their business dropped off dramatically, their usually stellar reviews on line went down the toilet and for the first time we explored other options. Legacy had it for maybe a couple of years and did a fine job of trashing the good reputation the Sims family had built up over almost 40 years. It was then either sold, traded for another property, or a little of both to the Speight Family. They owned a KOA in Colorado which is now owned by Legacy which leads me to believe there was some sort of swap. Robert Speight was the primary owner and did a very good job of restoring the park to the way it had been. I mentioned several times to them over the last few years how proud I thought the Sims family would be of how they were running things. I met Bob Speight several times at the park and he appeared to be in his late 50's early 60's which makes me question the "due to health reasons" statement in the auction bill. Obviously something has happened that we don't know about to force the sale, but I thought they were doing quite well there.

As for the property itself there's about 75 or 80 acres there total, with the proposed highroad extension running in back of it. I'm really wondering if some developer didn't go in there and make an offer they couldn't refuse for the land to build condos or something. That's the only reason I can think of why they aren't selling the business complete again. I also hope that if it's gone forever as a campground that SDC picks up the property, but I have my doubts. I really see condos or townhouses or something going in there.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 12:03:35 PM by thelarsonsix »

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 12:02:53 PM »
If SDC is smart, they did buy it. Who knows? It would be good for some company expansion. Health clinic, a SDC hotel, campground expansion, new White Water location, the possibilities are endless. If nothing else, they could keep the property for a buffer zone from the development in Branson.
Now that's some smart thinking!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 05:40:41 PM »
it does seem odd, there is NO mention of land auction, land for sale,,,,

Agreed that is it is odd they are selling anything/everything that is not nailed down.. ???

OH!! I know...  how about future site for a new and improved WW??

man oh man!!  Aint speculation and guessing wonderful?

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 09:46:51 PM »
I feel for ya thelarsonix.  Always sad when a family favorite goes under.  Here's to hoping that whatever happens to it, you are able to go back and make more fond memories.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 02:35:36 PM »
Wish I could say I bought the land that's why there's no mention...but nope.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 03:02:46 PM »
I've searched the MLS listings for commercial real estate in Branson, and nothing. That's what makes me suspect it's already sold, but once again, that's just my speculation. Aside from it being a family favorite, it's also taking probably 150 campsites and I would guess 50 or so motel rooms off the market.

SDC Pin Trader

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 03:30:16 PM »
I was a seasonal camper at Compton Ridge.  I received a Certified Letter on Friday, November 28.  Had to be out by Sunday, December 1.  The short notice over the holiday weekend was awful.  In addition to the auction this Thursday, the bank takes possession of the property on Friday.  The property had been on the market for several years.  SDC expressed some interest but it didn't pan out.  Extremely sad.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 03:54:05 PM »
I was a seasonal camper at Compton Ridge.  I received a Certified Letter on Friday, November 28.  Had to be out by Sunday, December 1.  The short notice over the holiday weekend was awful.  In addition to the auction this Thursday, the bank takes possession of the property on Friday.  The property had been on the market for several years.  SDC expressed some interest but it didn't pan out.  Extremely sad.

If it's now bank owned, SDC may feel it out again. If it was a resort, wonder if they could do a gondola lift to SDC.