Author Topic: SDC/CC/HFE Newspaper, Magazine, Internet Articles  (Read 8830 times)

sdcforever

SDC/CC/HFE Newspaper, Magazine, Internet Articles
« on: July 08, 2008, 02:01:36 PM »
I've started a few topics just to post links to interesting articles relating to SDC/CC/HFE.  I think it's a waste of space to start a new topic for each interesting article that is found.  So, as long as Steve is okay with this, here is a topic devoted to articles about SDC/CC/HFE.  I think that if the article announces major changes or news relating to SDC/CC/HFE it's okay to start a new topic; but if it's just an article that gives an overview or review of SDC/CC/HFE, then I think it should be posted in this thread.  Is this okay with you, Steve?

I found a nice article from OneNewsNow.com (a Christian news source based in Mississippi) that details the Christian aspects of SDC.  It has some interesting quotes from Brad Thomas, SDC's General Manager.  Here's a link to the article: http://www.onenewsnow.com/features.aspx?id=169080
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 02:02:46 PM by sdcforever »

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Re: SDC/CC/HFE Newspaper, Magazine, Internet Articles
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 09:56:57 PM »
I read that article several days ago.  Good one.  OneNewsNow is a great site, and on my favorites list.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 10:40:02 AM »
Thanks for the link sdcforever! It was a good one.

Here is another article I found on that site:

http://www.onenewsnow.com/features.aspx?id=137052
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 12:20:34 PM »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 09:36:41 PM »
^Actually, I think the attempt failed.  They needed at least 200 tops to spin for at least 10 seconds to set the record (that's what Guinness told them).  They had 250 spinners, but only 192 spun for the 10 seconds.  They're not sure if they set the record, but they said they don't think they did.  They will submit the application for the record, so we'll see what happens.  Here's the article:

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080816/BREAKING01/80816014/1007/NEWS01

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 06:47:04 PM »
Yes, of course you are correct.  This is another example of the teacher not reading the whole article.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

DocSpeleo

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 09:11:49 PM »
Okay to set the record straight.....

There was no original record... so SDC did set the record at 192.. but for the event to show up in the record book Guinness wanted 200.  So it is a record but will not appear in the book until someone gets 200+ to spin.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 10:16:46 PM »
That's harsh  >:(
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 07:57:11 AM »
^Yeah, I agree.  Why does it have to be 200 to show up in the book if there is no previous record?  Does anyone know?

DocSpeleo

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 09:13:57 AM »
I'm not sure thats just what I was told by the person who taught me to spin a top... when we were discussing the event.

sdcforever

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 10:38:09 AM »
I found SDC's official press release regarding the top spinning event, which sheds a little more light on the results and has a quote from Roy Campbell, the event creator.  Here's the link:
http://www.bransonsilverdollarcity.com/press-room/press_releases.aspx?id=269

sdcforever

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 10:45:23 AM »
SDC's press room is busy right now.  Here are two press releases.  One detailing the Southern Gospel Picnic going on right now (August 28-September 7):
http://www.bransonsilverdollarcity.com/press-room/press_releases.aspx?id=270

The other detailing the upcoming National Harvest Festival (September 11-October 25), and it also features details on the Culinary & Craft School opening on September 11!
http://www.bransonsilverdollarcity.com/press-room/press_releases.aspx?id=271

There's some good info in those press releases.  Also, Steve, I don't know if you're aware, but the main site still lists KidsFest as the current event with a picture of the KidsFest banner.  I'm not being picky, I'm just trying to be helpful! :)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 06:48:45 PM »
^I know, I totally forgot to update it yesterday. Anyone got any Southern Gospel Picnic photos?

sdcforever

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 10:03:01 AM »
^I know, I totally forgot to update it yesterday. Anyone got any Southern Gospel Picnic photos?

I don't know if you can use this photo or not (there might be copyright issues).  It's from SDC's website in their photo and video gallery.  I've seen it used on other websites for the Southern Gospel Picnic.  I've attached it below and also inserted it into my post.  It's from Southern Gospel Nights at Echo Hollow.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 10:03:34 AM by sdcforever »

sdcforever

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 11:14:50 PM »
JoDee and Peter Herschend are speaking at the annual Faith Promise Celebration, a get-together for Caring People, an outreach to single mothers, this coming Friday at Chateau on the Lake.  JoDee and Peter are the founders of Caring People.  They will share stories of the work the ministry does with single moms.  The event is free of charge.  You can find out more info here:
http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080906/LIFE07/809060326
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 11:15:48 PM by sdcforever »