Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 4864 times)

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
What to do?
« on: September 19, 2013, 08:44:23 PM »
Alright SDC family, I have the opportunity to spend a weekend in Branson with just the wife.  Kiddos are all locked into other activities and we need a little get away.  What are your suggestions for a little nightlife in Branson.  We'll do the SDC thing during the day, but what to do at night with no kids?  Usually we'll hit the putt-putt or catch a show, but this is rare that we get to be alone.  Any ideas?

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: What to do?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 09:32:02 PM »
On my wife and I's alone times, we walk the landing after a nice dinner, then we walk the waterfront. Hit up Andy's for custard, watch a sunset near the lookout on Table Rock... then hope we have used enough time to let the kiddo fall asleep with the sitter before we return!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 07:48:54 AM »
My answer would depend on what kind of "nightlife" you enjoy or expect..

rube is right about the stroll around the landing, maybe an evening cruise, if you want drinks/dinner lots of place there to do either one..

If your wanting to stay up later and have a few more drinks, there are 3 or 4 places in town for that too..

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 10:35:46 AM »
Ok how much you wanting to spend?  ???

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 02:08:29 PM »
Since you like the Landing, how about a drink by the fire at the Paddlewheel?  On Thur/Fri. nights they have live music.  We enjoy sitting in lounge chairs by the propane grills.  Since I can no longer eat anything with gluten, eating out has turned into a hellish nightmare that I try to avoid, but a meal at Big Cedar and walking the grounds might be nice. Have you thought about the last run of the Paddlewheel on Taneycomo?  Or what about a visit to Copper Run Distillery?  Even if you don't drink, it's a fun place to visit and the music is great.  They close early though; around 7 I believe.

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 08:13:30 PM »
Nice ideas.  Many thanks! 

Sand-I'd like to say the sky's the limit, but alas, I'm a poor Oklahoma school teacher.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 08:17:13 PM »
As a teacher married to a teacher Dewey...I feel your pain, we hit up Reeds Spring Pizza on date nights as well.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 09:13:23 PM »
As a teacher married to a stay-at-home mother of two, I can't imagine what you two are suggesting.

;)
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 09:18:08 PM »
Meaning... you never get date nights HB??? ;) Both of us coach in the Fall, and i think we have dinner together with our daughter 1-2 nights a week...tough on family time so we make an effort to keep up on our date nights at least once a month, even if it is a groupon for pizza, or cupcakes and an hour together...would love a Branson date night/ weekend.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 11:51:57 PM »
WOW, am I the only fogey here OLD enough to have the youngest child on his own for 3 years now?  Wife & I have a lot of weekends alone in Branson.  Last time in Branson Son came with us. We very much enjoyed his company that weekend, but usually its just us 2.

We either see a show, or go thru the Landing/Tanger malls. Spend time playing skeeball & silver falls at Grand Country. We enjoy a dish at Andys, but only when wifes sugar level is low enough.  Wife likes to shop the $1 shops and Dicks. That is usually a nighttime event.

Sometimes we take crafty things and just spend an evening in the room (remember its just us 2 all the time-date night is really anytime now  ;) )  Especially if we stay in the camper, for some reason we dont do craft stuff often at home, but constantly in the camper. Go figure I guess.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 05:34:55 PM »
WOW, am I the only fogey here OLD enough to have the youngest child on his own for 3 years now?  Wife & I have a lot of weekends alone in Branson.  Last time in Branson Son came with us. We very much enjoyed his company that weekend, but usually its just us 2.

We either see a show, or go thru the Landing/Tanger malls. Spend time playing skeeball & silver falls at Grand Country. We enjoy a dish at Andys, but only when wifes sugar level is low enough.  Wife likes to shop the $1 shops and Dicks. That is usually a nighttime event.

Sometimes we take crafty things and just spend an evening in the room (remember its just us 2 all the time-date night is really anytime now  ;) )  Especially if we stay in the camper, for some reason we dont do craft stuff often at home, but constantly in the camper. Go figure I guess.

If you're an old fogey, then I must be an older fogey!  We often have a date night in Branson, but it's usually to make up for one that we missed at home.  Our favorite date night is usually walking around Scheels.

We might be the atypical Branson visitor.  In the summer it's "nothing but boat!"  (well, most of the time)  The rest of the time we fly fish on Taneycomo, do crafty things in our condo (hubs wood carves and I read about photography). For some reason, we don't usually have time for this at home!  We love to play mini-golf, walk around the Landing, and a trip to the City is usually included.  We seldom ever attend music shows, and we rarely eat out anymore.  I miss eating out, but Celiac really threw me a curve ball, and dining out is a gamble I'm not willing to take right now.  I've discovered that cooking in my condo is actually fun!  (Did I really say that???)

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 09:02:30 PM »
We do the things we do with kids only...it's without the kids!  I love going to SDC with only my phone and wallet in my pocket. 

At night, we've been known to stop by Ernie Biggs on the Landing or take in a show.

Last year, Branson had teacher appreciation month in October.  Are they doing that again this year?  I rode the ducks for the first time because they were buy one get one free for teachers.  We also had 15% off a couple of dinners.  Just wondering.