Author Topic: Ozarks historian Brooks Blevins  (Read 5536 times)

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • "Now boys, be good to the tourists!" - Mitch Jayne
    • View Profile
Ozarks historian Brooks Blevins
« on: July 15, 2013, 03:44:45 PM »
There is a very nice (but concise) article about Ozarks historian & Missouri State faculty member Brooks Blevins in today's edition of the Springfield News-Leader:

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20130715/NEWS04/307150008/Brooks-Blevins-Missouri-State-University-Ozarks-history

I highly recommend his books Hill Folks and Arkansas/Arkansaw for excellent academic (but readable) histories of the Arkansas Ozarks. The chapter in the former about the rise and fall of Dogpatch USA and the history of Eureka Springs are very well done.

T.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Ozarks historian Brooks Blevins
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 04:21:49 PM »
He was my professor for the semester in which I was an Ozarks Studies minor (didn't work out; he's a really hard grader). He's a really nice guy and knows SO MUCH. I've got both the books you mentioned (they were textbooks for my classes), and I really like them, but I've got them listed on Amazon to be sold, 'cause I'm just not using them and I need the money (I'm moving away from Springfield, sadly).

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 04:26:45 PM »
I wish he would write a "sequel" of sorts to Hill Folks and cover SW Missouri. Gilmore's Ozarks Baptizings, Hangings and Other Diversions is good, but it's obviously very specific in terms of covering theatrical folkways in the late-19th/early 20th century.

T.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 04:31:18 PM »
I have to admit to not really cracking open any of the books I got for my classes.... I think Lynn Morrow's Shepherd of the Hills Country book is the only one I actually actively read.

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 05:07:27 PM »
I won't tell Brooks.  ;)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 09:00:42 PM »
He was my professor for the semester in which I was an Ozarks Studies minor (didn't work out; he's a really hard grader). He's a really nice guy and knows SO MUCH. I've got both the books you mentioned (they were textbooks for my classes), and I really like them, but I've got them listed on Amazon to be sold, 'cause I'm just not using them and I need the money (I'm moving away from Springfield, sadly).

That is sad!  Hopefully you're not moving too far away
I'm Your Huckleberry

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 09:25:12 PM »
Just back to Kansas City. Thankfully, I've been able to work things out so I can still graduate in December even though I won't be in Springfield.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 03:10:42 AM »
I'm jealous of those here who have had a chance to go through the Ozarks Studies minor at Missouri State. I've got both Blevins books, and highly recommend them to all.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 07:27:53 AM »
I'm jealous of those here who have had a chance to go through the Ozarks Studies minor at Missouri State. I've got both Blevins books, and highly recommend them to all.

I am as well; I was fortunate enough to take Ozarks Geography with Milton Raferty, but "in my day", to quote the grumpy old man, we didn't have Ozarks Studies.  ::)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 12:30:48 PM »
I was excited to switch my minor over to Ozark Studies (from Folklore), but in taking the classes, I learned that learning about the Ozarks was for me more of a hobby than a full-on "need to take classes on it" kind of thing. I finally found my perfect minor when MSU FINALLY brought back the African American Studies minor. If they'd had it as a major when I first applied at MSU, I probably would have majored in it; this past year I've had some of the best classes I've ever had.

One of my favorite things to come out of MSU Ozarks-wise is the Ozark Celebration Festival. I've gone to it every year since I moved here, except last year. I'm hoping to make the trek down from KC for it this year; I wanna be able to hang with the Folklore Club, since I'm not gonna get to see them otherwise (well, I do hope to also come down for the Haunted Tour the club has each year on campus).

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 12:56:59 PM »
I was excited to switch my minor over to Ozark Studies (from Folklore), but in taking the classes, I learned that learning about the Ozarks was for me more of a hobby than a full-on "need to take classes on it" kind of thing. I finally found my perfect minor when MSU FINALLY brought back the African American Studies minor. If they'd had it as a major when I first applied at MSU, I probably would have majored in it; this past year I've had some of the best classes I've ever had.

One of my favorite things to come out of MSU Ozarks-wise is the Ozark Celebration Festival. I've gone to it every year since I moved here, except last year. I'm hoping to make the trek down from KC for it this year; I wanna be able to hang with the Folklore Club, since I'm not gonna get to see them otherwise (well, I do hope to also come down for the Haunted Tour the club has each year on campus).
The OCF falls the same weekend at the Celtic Festival and Highland Games in Buffalo, MO; this year I will be giving presentations at the games on the Scottish influence on Ozarks folklore, so no OCF for me. I'd love to know when the Haunted Tour will be this year though.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 03:44:04 PM »
I'll be sure to post about the Haunted Tour as soon as I find out what the finalized dates are. Tentatively, it'd be the Thu-Fri, Oct 24-25.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 06:34:47 PM »
Just back to Kansas City. Thankfully, I've been able to work things out so I can still graduate in December even though I won't be in Springfield.

Well Kansas City is still easy driving distance to SDC!  Not like you're moving to the coast or Canada or something
I'm Your Huckleberry