Author Topic: Salt Water Taffy  (Read 13183 times)

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
Salt Water Taffy
« on: June 15, 2013, 08:12:42 PM »
Does SDC make all of their own taffy, or do they have a company they buy it from? Because I just bought a bag of taffy from a gas station (having withdrawals) and it looks identical to SDC's and taste pretty darn close (anything with an SDC label always tastes better. Trust me, it really does ;) ). I Googled it, but of course, couldn't find anything about it...
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Salt Water Taffy
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 09:58:11 PM »
Rube could probably answer better than anyone, but I think it is a combination of some taffy is made on park, other taffy is purchased wholesale from a candy company that uses similar traditional methods of making it. Problem is, the taffy is so popular, they can't keep up with demand...either that or they are attempting to cut corners to increase profit.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 10:52:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure most of it is purchased. After the original red taffy machine was broken, it sat unused quite awhile before it was replaced by the current, rather mundane looking machine.  One of the workers at the shop told us it was made somewhere else. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 12:35:07 AM »
we have discussed this before..  the majority of taffy is purchased from an outside source..  At 1 time the wholesaler was based in utah.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 10:08:55 AM »

The gas station is where I saw the same brand of taffy for sale.  If you look at the boxes in the taffy store window they say " Sweets" I am fairly sure this is the brand name of the taffy they use and the same brand you will see on the bag available elseware.  As an added anecdote when I saw the taffy it was in a gas station in Harrison Arkansas, they were charging $3 for a 1 lb bag of it.  They were also charging $3 for a can of campbells soup.  If you equate the markup the gas station has used with the soup and then consider what SDC is charging for a pound they are doing quite well on that taffy.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 12:29:15 PM »
...and the taffy shop is always crowded.

sdcDave

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 02:57:56 PM »
I think, as mhguy stated, its' produced by this company:

http://www.sweetcandy.com/candies/taffy.html

although I don't see good ol' wildfire flavor there.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 07:33:55 PM »
3.30 per LB sold at a retail level.  I am betting they are using this taffy at all the parks and getting it for somewhere around 2.25 per lb.  Maybe less.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 08:53:55 PM »
Taffy shop was also redecorated this season. They felt that with it being "saltwater" it needed a beachy coastal theme. So be prepared for starfish, and pastels when entering.

I haven't seen samples in the last 3 visits either...

I did get a chance to try an "outlaw" taffy, it was a vanilla, chocolate, caramel, and sea salt right off of the machine, it was pretty tasty.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 12:41:50 PM »
Oh well. I'll still pretend the stuff sold at SDC is made there ;)    ...makes it taste better lol
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 01:59:57 PM »
Too bad you have to pretend. I remember a time when I didn't have to, it was the real thing!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 02:24:41 PM »
I don't think they are doing free samples this year. I even mentioned to my family that nothing about getting your prize from the train ride for being the loudest in the tunnel, which was a free taffy sample, was mentioned.
Colorado SDC Fan

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 03:40:30 PM »
Wildfire is made on park.  I've seen them do it as of last year.  Not sure about the rest.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 06:34:52 PM »
thats right parson, it and the other "special" flavors they do onsite...special mixes for special "customers"//  LOL

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 09:54:15 AM »
The Wildfire and Outlaw Run are made on park, dunno about any other flavors. They only do samples when they do a taffy run. Last time we were there they had a slate on the back wall stating when they would be doing demonstrations (and therefore free taffy!).
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"