Author Topic: Mall of America--Nickelodeon Universe  (Read 3808 times)

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
Mall of America--Nickelodeon Universe
« on: June 25, 2013, 12:39:20 PM »
Well, we decided not to go to Holiday World.  In the end, we chose to go to Mall of America and then hang out on the Mississippi River at Dubuque, Iowa.  Of course, we had to check out Nickelodeon Universe inside the mall.

I have to say this--the log ride is probably my favorite log ride ever, not counting Splash Mountain at WDW.  The theming is so cute.  I wish SDC would do something with American Plunge.  This ride had two drops, though not incredibly large.  The last one was large enough really.  The boats snake through caverns and inside you get to meet a huge animatronic Paul Bunyan and Babe.  Very cool!

One great coaster is the Spongebob Rock Bottom Plunge.  It is much like Mystery Mine without theming.  They have a spinning coaster, the Fairly Odd Coaster, that was pretty good.  The Pepsi coaster was neat in that it went through the same caverns as the log ride.

We did the Ghost Blasters, which is pretty fun in a silly way.  My youngest did the carousel, Blues Clues, and a little train.  There was more she could ride, but she was a little shy this trip.  She could have done the log ride and the Pepsi coaster if she had wanted to, along with several other kiddie rides.  We all rode the big Ferris Wheel with gondolas together.

We had a great time.  It is all indoors, and it's great to just see how they put everything together inside.  Since it's inside, the weather is always beautiful.  The temperature was great, although while we were in Minneapolis the high was never above 79.  We went on a Tuesday morning, so there were no lines for anything!  Of course, maybe there are never lines.  Who knows?  We bought our "points" to use to ride at a kiosk.  We went during Toddler Time, so the youngest had a nice discount.  We also met characters such as Dora and the Wonderpets without a line.

This was not a bad place to visit for a couple of days.  It's not SDC or WDW, but the coasters are fun and you can't beat the temperature and the low crowds.  While visiting the mall, we also ate at Rainforest Cafe and did the SeaLife Aquarium.  Both of these are great.  My oldest did plenty of shopping, and we checked out the Disney store and American Doll store with the youngest.  There is also an awesome Lego store, and had some great cookies at the Nestle Toll House place.  Great fun!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Mall of America--Nickelodeon Universe
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 02:25:17 PM »
To supplement her trip report, here is our PTR from earlier in the year so you can get a visual idea of the rides she is talking about

http://midwestinfoguide.com/migcrew/2013/nickuniverse/
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 10:45:56 PM »
Not enough indoor parks like this in the US.

So hoped this would have happened in Memphis instead of a Bass Pro in a repurposed Pyramid

Guy behind that worked for Busch Gardens for years and has a marketing firm located in the Pinch which is the old retail area between the Pyramid and St. Jude.

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 01:32:47 AM »
Thanks for the ptr addition, Swoish. I have a few pictures, but not like yours.  I didn't remember that you had been there earlier this year.  I'm lucky I remember my name, though.  Before I became a teacher and had my own children, I was much more coherent.

I agree that there should be more indoor theme parks.  I'm having trouble talking myself into a summer visit to SDC.  We are planning a trip to Disney again for next June.  Couldn't make it without rope drops, afternoon breaks, and evening touring.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 12:11:39 PM »
I agree that there should be more indoor theme parks.  I'm having trouble talking myself into a summer visit to SDC.  We are planning a trip to Disney again for next June.  Couldn't make it without rope drops, afternoon breaks, and evening touring.

That's why my friend and I went to WDW in January -- the week between the marathon and the cheerleading stuff -- in '11 and '12 (sadly, we were unable to pull it off this year). Not too hot, accommodations are at off-season prices, and the lines are minimal. But of course, we're single, childless, jobless college students who were on winter break, so it's obviously more difficult if one has a family and a job to pick a time of year to go.

I would give anything to have more indoor theme parks. I've never been to one, but I've always wanted to. Just the thought of a temperature-regulated theme park is music to my ears, lol.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:13:38 PM by Joy »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 01:52:29 PM »
MOA might be "temperature regulated" in theory - but if it is hot outside, it is not exactly cool inside.  Last summer when it was in the triple digits outside, it was quite muggy inside the actual park.  You see there are windows in the ceiling over the park. 
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 02:09:21 PM »
Interesting shot of the Pyramid with the theme park inside it. So it became a Bass Pro Shop? Have not been to Memphis in 10 years. I'll have to check that out next time I pass through.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 03:59:40 PM »
Interesting shot of the Pyramid with the theme park inside it. So it became a Bass Pro Shop? Have not been to Memphis in 10 years. I'll have to check that out next time I pass through.

It's in the process of becoming a Bass Pro but like Springfield, The old man is just adding more to the project. It's not going to be like just like any other of the clones that have sprouted up, Little Rock is getting that store.