Author Topic: What to do at the park?  (Read 3872 times)

Jj2k

• View Profile
What to do at the park?
« on: March 12, 2013, 06:48:30 PM »
Hello all my name is Jim Mosier and I'm a coaster enthusiast from the northeast.  I'm a tually the lead administrator of gadv.com the largest fan site for Six Flags Great Adventure.  I plan on being at Silver Dollar City this friday for outlaw run.  This is my first time at SDC and I'd like to know from yall who know it well what are the must do's.  Especially shows because I don't think I'll be able to hit all the shows in one day due to scheduling conflicts and the coasters of course being the more important thing to hit.  Food suggestions would also be great I pretty much know nothing about the park except what coasters are there so whatever suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.  I plan on getting at the park at 8am for their breakfast buffet and then hitting outlaw run right at opening after that I have no clue so again whatever suggestion you have for the rest of my day (plan on being there til close) is very appreciated.  Thanks again!

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Re: What to do at the park?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 10:44:11 PM »
I can tell you that the only shows this weekend will be at the smaller stages...Boatworks, Dockside, Gazebo, featuring musical groups Southern Raised (bluegrass), Spoken 4 (gospel), magician Mike Bliss, and the Homestead Pickers.  The larger productions are still in rehearsal and will not open until April 11th.  Besides numerous ride attractions, you may enjoy just walking around perusing the craft exhibitions/demonstrations as well as the many shops.  For eats, you might try the new Crossroads Pizza place which will feature a variety of things other than just pizza.  I really hope you enjoy your visit with us.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
Make sure your do the classic Fire in the Hole dark ride, it's virtually unchanged from decades ago.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 06:12:00 AM »
dont forget the cave, IF ya have time.
Live life like it's the last day!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 07:03:50 AM »
Check out Hatfields Tater Patch. They have these great bowls there. The names escape me this early. The skilet bowls. Annies Buckshot corn is a good side. I cant think of anything that is a huge disappointment food wise. Its all rather good to excellent.

The rollercoasters are all good. They did a great job designing each and every one. Worth the wait. Fire in the Hole is a winner. A never miss. If you have time to catch a train, do so. Its fun fun fun! The flooded mine is a classic. Great for when you need to have a break and cool off some.

Generally walking around and enjoying yourself also. Take lots of pictures. You will want to remember every facet. Once you go SDC, the other parks arent pretty! :)
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 08:15:42 AM »
Trams....."the other parks arent pretty"... :) :)

aint it the truth! ;D

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 10:08:45 AM »
Do what's already been mentioned and
- stop in at Delilah's Bakery even if you don't order anything
- Opening Ceremony
- listen to the Homestead Pickers
- Sullivan's Mill for cinnamon bread
- take a moment to enjoy the theming and landscaping
- visit the crafters - blacksmith, knife maker, glass blowers, pottery, candy makers, etc.

Leave with a smile on your face and the feeling that "you can't wait to return"

Jj2k

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 12:08:23 AM »
Awesome thanks yall for the suggestions i have a further question lol how does the qhole cave thing work?  Is it like in the park?  What times do tours start?  Are they free?  Is it popular?  Like im going by myself so if its just me an the tour guide that might be a bit weird lol.  How long does the tour last?  Thanks again!   Oh trains too how long are they and how often do they run.  Thanks for being awesome yall!  Im almost to the point where I can say ove ridden every major coaster east of the mississippi and after friday it'll be one step closer just the midwest parks north and west of sfstl and SDC.... most notably sfgam which i have to get to some day.

That said of all the parks i have visited I usually say that i keep a pretty hard stat that I need two new credits at a park to make the park worth the visit again....with the exception of a few parks ( not including orlando cause cmon thats just the amusement mecca) : bgw, dollywood and hershey park.  Most notably cedar point, holiday world and likewise parks stay in that hard 2 credit stat i keep I kist dont feel any other parks are well rounded enough to justify visiting again without 2 new credits to add...that even includes my home park of gadv I love it but im a very honest guy when it comes to judging these things.  Why am i saying this?  Because I feel like SDC has what im looking for to be that 4th park outside orlando that is worth repeat visits without the necessity of adding coaster credits and im excited for friday!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 12:38:58 AM »
The cave tours leave every... 45? minutes. They're free with admission into the park. It's pretty popular; I'd be surprised if you ended up being the only one on the tour. They also offer tours by lantern-light only, but those cost. I've never done it, but I've heard it's pretty amazing, and you get to see stuff you don't see on the normal tours.

cocodane3

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 11:34:23 PM »
The train opens at 10-10:30 with trains leaving every 20-30 mins depending on how busy the park is. Ride length generally ranges from 17-27 minutes depending on the engineer and the show. If u have anymore questions while in park just go to the depot and there will be a conductor there to help you. Please tell them Colter said hi!!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 12:34:33 PM »
The cave tours leave every... 45? minutes. They're free with admission into the park. It's pretty popular; I'd be surprised if you ended up being the only one on the tour. They also offer tours by lantern-light only, but those cost. I've never done it, but I've heard it's pretty amazing, and you get to see stuff you don't see on the normal tours.

The lantern light tour is a great experience for $10.  My group loved it!

mammalone

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 01:18:07 PM »
Hey Jim, it was great top accidentally run into/meet ya and to ride OR! Hope you enjoyed the rest of your day. Let us know how it ended up!