Author Topic: Ghost Hunting  (Read 7927 times)

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
Ghost Hunting
« on: January 03, 2013, 05:03:05 PM »
My boyfriend is kind of a girl when it comes to stuff like back roads, abandoned places, things like that. I think being scared is fun (I love an adrenaline rush), so I thought it would be fun to take him ghost hunting just to see how scared he gets as a way to get back at him for picking on me all the time. We had visited his aunt and uncle who live in New Haven, MO and somehow got on the subject of haunted places around New Haven and Washington. His uncle mentioned Enoch Knob Bridge that isn't too far from their house. By the time we left his aunt and uncle's house, it was too late to go out there, plus my mom was wanting me home.
So a few days later I brought it up and kinda talked him into checking it out (I was driving, so he didn't really get a choice on where we went). We got directions from a gas station but still managed to get lost. It was day time when we started on our way there, but by the time we actually found it, the sun was going down. The road the bridge is on is closed, so we parked by the gate and I was planning to walk down towards the bridge until Nate told me to wait in the car for a second. I grabbed my phone and started recording. He got half way out of the car and said he heard footsteps in the woods next to him. I said it was probably an animal but he swears it was something else. So ok, whatever. I get out of the car and stand by the gate. He starts whistling Twisted Nerve (if you watched American Horror Story, season 1, its the whistle Tate does while he's shooting up the school). All of a sudden we hear a crash sound down the road towards where the bridge is, then it sounds like someone running in the snow, like that crunching sound after the snow has frozen over). It sounded like it ran a few feet then stopped. It startled me but it scared the pants off of Nate. He jumped in the car and said, "LET'S GO!!!" So I get in the car and go to close my door then I dropped my keys in the floor, and it landed on the padding where the door closes so I lean over to pick them up then hear what sounded like someone slap, or maybe punch the back of my car. My first reaction was to look back there, but I didn't see anything. So I pick up my keys. I get the keys in the ignition and try backing out. My car gets stuck and it looks like Nate is about to cry. By now the all you can see is a pink stripe in the sky where the sun is almost gone. My check engine light comes on, so now I'm worried. We have cell phone signal, but how am I gonna explain to my parents why I'm out in the middle of no where, alone with my bf...
I pull forward a little bit, then back out just fine this time, probably just stuck in the snow. My check engine light stayed on the entire time we were on that road. The second we turn onto 185, it goes off.
After we calmed down, Nate said we should come back in the day time with a group of friends. I laughed and said, "Ok."
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 05:04:18 PM »
I can't figure out how to post the video... But you can hear the footsteps and what sounds like wind whistling, but the wind wasn't blowing while we were there, plus you can see the trees not moving.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 05:24:38 PM »
I wouldnt ghost chase. I love a good story. I watch paranormal witness and haunted collector and all those kind of shows. But its just not something to personally mess with. You could really get into some kind of trouble. And its the unknown of what the supposed ghost is that scares me.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 05:31:39 PM »
I have to admit I had to look up this bridge and its history........good readin!  ;D

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 06:25:52 PM »
Post it on You Tube Tiff!  Just be sure to let us know...I'd love to see (hear) it!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 07:17:39 PM »
...or put it on your Facebook page and mark it public.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 01:12:02 AM »
I wasn't scared at first because I don't really believe in a lot of that since most of the stories come from over active imagination. Since we both heard the footsteps and caught it on camera, I am a little nervous. But with a group, it probably won't be as bad, and would be a lot safer in the daytime.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 06:40:08 AM »
Those shows on TV "confronting" ghosts are fun to watch...but I don't recommend opening a door that cannot be closed in an easy way. I strongly  recommend no one ghost hunt.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 08:24:59 AM »
I believe I have had plenty of run-ins with unexplainable happenings, and I have a good friend who runs a ghost hunter business here in StL, he invites me plenty to go there, but I pass, knowing that it is not something that I need to deal with. I have seen what I cannot explain at the 1904 Olympic track in Stl, a cemetery in Highlandville, and on both occasions, I was not the only one who saw something...yet others there at the same time saw nothing.

I have been in the Lemp mansion for a tour with my mom and a big group of people with a medium, but nothing was felt be me, the power of suggestion is great in these cases, what you hear is not always what really happened, your mind can make you think you  see something if you are expecting to...

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 08:45:15 AM »
I have had experiences, too. I don't seek them out, I just "happened" into them. Nothing too scary, some weird. I have lived in a haunted house. I do not seek a ghost and attempt to call it out...Again, I do not reccomend anyone do this. You may travel down a path that is hard to get off of, and some of those lingering spirits are not in a happy place, many have put themselves there and it's not good. I am serious about this topic. Funny, I do love swapping ghost stories. But telling a story and actually going out and rousing up something that may be lurking in the dark are two different matters.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 10:08:12 AM »
Amen Junior. Dont go looking for something. Its not wise. Bad stuff lurks and you are just asking for it to come home with you and eat your soul. Not trying to be funny either. Its nasty stuff to mess with. Stories are one thing. But as Junior said its not wise to seek it out.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 10:26:06 PM »
I wasn't scared at first because I don't really believe in a lot of that since most of the stories come from over active imagination. Since we both heard the footsteps and caught it on camera, I am a little nervous. But with a group, it probably won't be as bad, and would be a lot safer in the daytime.
I don't watch any of those "slasher" movies, but isn't it always a group...with some maniac picking them off one by one?
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 06:35:35 AM »
Cool story Tiff!!

I was living with some friends years ago in their basement, & in the middle of the night i would be woke up by their dryer coming on. I asked my friend if they started laundry, they said no.. The basement door would always be open in the middle of the night too. But the weirdist thing was, during the day i would hear footsteps upstairs. And thinking someone was home, i would go upstairs to find no-one there.... Come to find out, a little girl had died in 1 of the bedrooms. Needless to say, i didnt live with them too long. :o
Live life like it's the last day!

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 12:17:42 PM »
Cool story, thanks for sharing.  My 16-year-old son really likes to watch the ghost hunting shows.  I let him go on a ghost hunting tour in Alton, Il with some friends of ours.  He had some pretty wild experiences. 

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 09:54:27 PM »
I have been going to Alton since I was a tot. I live about 30 minutes from there, my Mom's family is from neighboring Wood River, and I have spent much much time there. I can honestly say it is a town where I feel uneasy while there. Not that I would be mugged or something like that, it is just an odd feeling. I know the stories, and have been over most of the town, caves, etc...it is just a very haunted place (the most haunted small town in America). It had a confederate prison that was horrible, and many of the bricks from this place were used in surrounding buildings after the war between the states. It was a main site for the underground railroad, being just across the river from a slave state in a free state.

Scariest part is that I recently read up on the ghost stories, and found my moms family name in one of them, asked my 94 yr old grandfather about this man, turns out it was his uncle (the man in the ghost story) and yep...it was him who supposedly haunts the city. Needless to say I have not been back since then despite how good Fast Eddie's is!(a well known restaurant/bar in the area).

Great history there for anyone that follows ghosts, civil war or riverboat history, or native american lore, as well as many things about the former resident tallest man in the world-Robert Wadlow whom my grandmother tells stories about going to school with.