Author Topic: Shepard of The Hills Map  (Read 3144 times)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Shepard of The Hills Map
« on: December 25, 2012, 07:17:33 AM »
My parents found some stuff recently, & this is a ol' map from when they were there on 7-11-1962!
Live life like it's the last day!

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Shepard of The Hills Map
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 07:19:15 AM »
here's the rest of the map.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 07:22:16 AM »
very cool find!!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 09:44:52 AM »
Please clarify, is this a map, or are these shots of the old placemats that were delivered in bulk to all the restaurants in the area by Shepherd of the Hills?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 06:22:49 AM »
aint for sure Junior, didnt ask, guess it could be a placemat. ??? in the last pic you can see where my mom wrote down where they ate. its that old thick brown type paper.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 12:07:39 PM »
I don't know how many people here will remember them, but in the 70's and 80's Shepherd of the Hills distributed undoubtedly thousands and thousands of placemats to restaurants in the Branson area. Didn't really matter where you went, those placemats were at every table and counterspace. They had a history of the Ozarks and Shepherd of the Hills Farm on them. An effective, cheap way of advertising back then. That's why "the farm" as we called it then, was probably the #2 tourist attraction right behind SDC. I know that there were maps of "the Shepherd of the Hills Country" made up as early as the 1950's by local artist Steve Miller, and I've seen those before. It has been such a long time since I've seen those placemats, it's hard for me to tell from the above pictures what is shown...map or placemat. Still, it's a pretty cool find! So, from the writing on the map, it appears your parents ate at Aunt Mollie's Cupboard at Shepherd of the Hills Farm during their honeymoon in 1962. This is during the time the Trimble Family owned the farm, and Mark Trimble had made many, many improvements in this period of time after he took over the business from his dad who had passed away. Mark and his mom, Mary, were a great mom/son team, just like the Herschends just down the road at SDC. The Mary-Mary Award which was awarded each year to a leader in tourism in Branson, was named after Mary Trimble and Mary Herschend.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:12:52 PM by Junior »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 11:15:32 AM »
Very cool!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 06:29:01 PM »
nice find..