Author Topic: Table Rock Lake - What do you think about it?  (Read 5626 times)

Saaam!

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • Celebration City-Lover
    • View Profile
Table Rock Lake - What do you think about it?
« on: August 21, 2012, 04:47:05 PM »
Sorry if there's a thread for this already. :-\

Anyway, what are your thoughts and opinions about Table Rock Lake? Do you visit a lot? Do you rent a boat or pontoon, etc?

So I recently went on my trip to Branson, which some might know. I had never been on Table Rock before it, so I had mix beliefs about it. I don't know why, I'm just not a huge lake person. So we got to a pontoon rental, which had some REALLY nice boats, and we headed out. It turned out amazing!! It's one of my favorite lakes and is two times better than Ozarks. Unlike Lake of the Ozarks, this water is actually see through and not murky whatsoever. It gets a greenish tone from some of the 'gunk' on the bottom, but you could go deep underwater and still be able to see their skin. I enjoyed it thoroughly and I hope to visit next year again.

-Sam
| Formally "Thunderbolter" |

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Table Rock Lake - What do you think about it?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:53:24 PM »
On Table Rock, travel to the western side, like Eagle Rock. Less people, water is clearer. Quiet and enjoyable. Hate to say this, but Table Rock by the dam reminds me of Lake of the Ozarks...too much traffic, way too developed. water not as nice.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 06:14:07 PM »
Our land is on a small cove near Indian Point, past the no wake zone, it is pretty quiet, and nice for a peaceful canoe, or paddle. e got into the habit of renting a noce pontoon every summer, but chose not to this year for whatever reason. We didn't go out on the lake the first 28 years of my life, what is one more year!

When we did go out, my mom commented " all this time down here and we never did this? that was fun!"

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 07:55:45 PM »
I love Table Rock. And I'm only 10 minutes from Lake of the Ozarks. There's just so much difference between the two. Not all bad, but Table Rock and the Branson area in general is a lot like LOTO's was in the 60's and 70's before they decided to be a playground for the wealthy at the exclusion of the blue collar crowd that keeps it going. Keep in mind though that LOTO is one of the few lakes in the country where you can buy and build right up to the shoreline and every home, restaurant, waterfront hotel and gas station can have a dock. Unlike it's upper tributary Trumand and Table Rock, Bull Shoals, etc. it's a privately owned lake and not controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:00:10 PM by thelarsonsix »
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 10:18:20 PM »
There are only three reasons we come to Branson - TABLE ROCK LAKE, TANEYCOMO, AND SDC!  Without those three resources, we would never be there.  I love absolutely everything about Table Rock Lake, but I agree with Junior - the further you get from the Dam and State Park Marina area the less crowded and cleaner the water.  I have been swimming, boating, fishing, tubing, and playing in that lake since I was a little girl.  I hope it never changes! 

Saaam!

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • Celebration City-Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 05:13:28 PM »
Our land is on a small cove near Indian Point, past the no wake zone, it is pretty quiet, and nice for a peaceful canoe, or paddle. e got into the habit of renting a noce pontoon every summer, but chose not to this year for whatever reason. We didn't go out on the lake the first 28 years of my life, what is one more year!

When we did go out, my mom commented " all this time down here and we never did this? that was fun!"

That's funny.. our pontoon rental was just a little bit down the road from Indian Point. It's a nice area around there.
| Formally "Thunderbolter" |

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 05:43:18 PM »
How is Bull Shoals Lake? I've only been around it in the Forsyth area where Taneycomo turns to Bull Shoals. Is it less developed? How are fishing and water sports there?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 06:45:46 PM »
Junior, Bull Shoals is much less developed.  My husband and I have taken day trips to Bull Shoals the last couple of years.  There have been days when we've only seen one or two other boats.  We haven't fished it, but did talk to other fisherman who said that it is full of gar!  (Found that out after I spent a day swimming and floating around in it!  Yikes!)  I can only assume there is less pressure on the fishing.  We went last year with our jet ski fully intending to boat and fish, but the marina (Diamond) was seriously underwater when we got there!  The docks and fuel stations up lake from there appeared to be managed by extremely cordial and friendly folks.  We hoped to return this year, but my stupid broken knee put the stops to that plan.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 11:57:42 AM »
My grandparents had a cabin in the Diamond City/Lead Hill area and when I was a kid we would go there several times a year for fishing and lake fun.  Many fond memories of that lake.  There used to be a swimming dock over the hill west of the marina and it was loads of fun.  It was pretty large, had a "kiddy" pool in the middle, and even had a diving board.  I learned to swim there.  Sadly, it's mooring lines broke during a bad storm one year, it floated across the lake, broke apart and wasn't rebuilt.  I also learned to ski on that lake...got up on my third attempt.   It's true that when the lake reaches flood stage, the marina at Diamond City is in peril.  The floods we've had in the the last couple of years seriously damaged the marina dock and I'm not sure they've rebuilt it or even plan to.

Fishing on Bull Shoals used to be much better than on Table Rock, at least in my experience, but I haven't fished it in ages so I couldn't say now.  You mentioned gar...the best "fight" I ever had with a fish was when I caught a 3' gar on that lake. I had it on the line for about 45 minutes, finally getting it up and into the boat.  Surprisingly, it's teeth didn't saw through the line.  I wasn't about to try and retrieve the hook from it's toothy mouth so we cut the line and tossed it back.   When the white bass were running on the shoal across from the marina, we'd put a silver spoon on our lines, cast out into the middle of 'em and reel in a bass with every cast.  We'd do that til the bottom of the boat was full and then motor back to the dock for a long fish cleaning session.  At night, we'd go out to fish for crappie (best tasting fish in the lake)...we'd pull up to a bluff, tie off on a tree and hang lights out over edge of the boat to attract the lake minnows, then we'd drop our minnow baited lines over the side and catch our limits every time.     

After my grandparent's passing, the family kept the cabin in the family for many years but finally sold it just a couple of years ago. :'(
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 03:26:50 AM »
The campsites at Table Rock State Park that are right near the marina are the BEST. The bathhouse is AMAZING and it's just a really, really quick walk down to the marina. We took a pontoon out on Table Rock Lake one year, and it was so much fun. I've been itching to do a trip like that again.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 10:38:36 PM »
I love Table Rock. And I'm only 10 minutes from Lake of the Ozarks. There's just so much difference between the two. Not all bad, but Table Rock and the Branson area in general is a lot like LOTO's was in the 60's and 70's before they decided to be a playground for the wealthy at the exclusion of the blue collar crowd that keeps it going. Keep in mind though that LOTO is one of the few lakes in the country where you can buy and build right up to the shoreline and every home, restaurant, waterfront hotel and gas station can have a dock. Unlike it's upper tributary Trumand and Table Rock, Bull Shoals, etc. it's a privately owned lake and not controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers.

I've rolled in by boat to Fisherman's Wharf and Doe's Eat Place many times. It's nice that way, but when the family in east arkansas/west tenn and my bunch in NWA hook up at the lake, it's at Norfork or Bull Shoals. We rotate those two.