Author Topic: firearms  (Read 5313 times)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
firearms
« on: August 22, 2012, 08:51:41 AM »
When did SDC stop selling firearms and muzzle loading equipment?  The hubs is not happy as he loved looking at the artistry of some of the pistols that we will never be able to afford.  And, needed some muzzle loading supplies that he didn't pick up last time we were there because he spent his money buying woodworking tools!!  I was sure they were still for sale when we were there in July.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: firearms
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 10:42:05 AM »
hmmm?  i thought they had quit selling those supplies long ago.... even longer since they have not had a gunsmith for years... ??? ??? ???

i am sure someone will jump in here and answer your question more accurately..

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 04:28:54 PM »
They built a big ole rollercoaster behind the gunsmith shop...Wildfire. Then, for some odd reason, they stopped the shooting demonstrations. Perhaps they thought a stray bullet would add too big a thrill to a 'coaster rider!  ;)  Not sure which year they stopped firearms sales. My guess is it had more to do with sluggish sales. They have dropped some of the crafts over the years as interest in them by the public has decreased. Not too many baskets for sale at SDC since Donnie Ellison retired either.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 05:27:51 PM »
They had muzzle loading rifles on the walls at Knife Works earlier this year.  It looks like they took out some display cases and removed what was hanging on the walls.  I guess I misunderstood the Hubs earlier comment.  He is sure they were still on display in early July, but not for sale. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 09:23:27 PM »
i would agree with the "display" term.... I am sure they were not for sale..... 

I do not remember seeing them there last year however,,,,,

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 03:10:29 PM »
I believe I talked to one of the guys running the store about buying a Colt Army .44 in the fall of 2009.  I didn't get it but planned to the next spring when we went.  the singns had changed, and they had no guns or supplies for sale in 2010.  I might be one year off ('08/'09), but I think that was how it went.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 05:00:15 PM »
was that a kit gun Palalin?  or a reproduction?? 

I am guessing that it was not "made" at SDC..

I dont think they have been "making" guns for over 10 years...maybe longer.............

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 09:05:40 AM »
Not a kit.  I *think* it was one of the Italian repops.  Pretty much the same thing you can get at Cabellas or Bass Pro.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 12:12:56 PM »
Just to be pedantic: legally speaking, there have never been "firearms" made or sold at SDC.  :) ;)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 10:45:57 AM »
Well, unless you're insinuating that black powder weapons are not firearms, they have been sold there.  I bought mine there some years ago. 

But it's true that they've not been "made" there.  What they did was assemble and sometimes "embellish" the kits that they offered.  They would sometimes carve designs on the stock, and they also did some kind of bluing treatment to the barrels sometimes.

I think the reason they're not sold anymore is simply because the demand for them fell off.  People can get basically the same kits much cheaper elsewhere.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 05:44:26 PM »
Same as the bookstore.  I sent an e-mail asking them to bring that back and they said it just wasn't profitable seeing how they had to compete with larger book stores that get better discounts by purchasing in higher volume.  Sigh
I'm Your Huckleberry

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 09:20:14 PM »
Well, unless you're insinuating that black powder weapons are not firearms, they have been sold there.
Legally, no, black powder weapons are not firearms.

For that matter, a center-fire smokeless cartridge gun made before January 1, 1899, is also not a firearm, even if it's identical in form and function and ammo to one made decades later.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 12:19:50 PM »
KB,  i am pretty sure you are correct on that fact....

I also question the statement someone said about SDC NOT making them there, When in fact,Years ago, 20-25... they (gunsmith) actually build the complete weapon there..... from handrolling the barrel to the finished product.

So in fact they did "make" the gun there, rather than just assembled it...

maybe rube'junior can verify that detail for us..

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 04:49:23 PM »
I think that during my time on park they used kits, but did the "custom" thing with carving stocks and so on. I always thought they looked pretty great, but the prices were high...at least it seemed to me. However, the shooting demonstrations were very popular, and it seemed there was always someone in the shop looking around. Bruce Grimes was the gunsmith when I was there, he yodeled for guests, and it was very popular, too. He would come in the Vineyard Restaurant almost every afternoon and purchase a big glass of grape juice, and we'd ask him to yodel for us, too. He almost always complied. Someone probably has an old '77 or '78 brochure or one of the old booklets they sold, and in one of those I think there is a photo of the "Spirit of '76" carved black powder rifle gunstock that was offered for sale at the time of the Bicentennial. I think Bruce Grimes may have carved it. It was fantastic. I got to hold that piece of art in my hands, and I always looked at it when I was in the shop. I think, eventually it sold...it would be quite the collectors item.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"