Author Topic: American Plunge  (Read 6016 times)

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
American Plunge
« on: June 29, 2012, 12:08:05 PM »
I have been lurking on here for a few years now, but rarely post. I am a third generation SDC'er, and my kids are the fourth. My grandparents first brought my mom to SDC in 1960, and my family and I are season pass holders. I've been coming since the days of the Gandy Dancer, waterfall at Grandfather's Mansion, and the Huck Finn's Hideaway little entrance to the toy store (now the wood carving shop). It's a second home for us. We are descendants of the Caseys who built the Casey-McHaffie cabin.

Anyway, here's my question. My handle is "Pudgy Jones". Does anyone else remember this name from the American Plunge? I haven't seen anyone mention it, so I wonder if I am maybe going crazy. It seems like I remember the name from old whirlpool scene.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
Re: American Plunge
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 05:00:45 PM »
I'm sure Junior will chime in here soon. Stay tuned..... ;)
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 06:38:37 PM »
Yes! I have an answer for you.  When the Jim Owens' Float Trip was installed in 1968, the theme was "the ghost of Jim Owens" and a speaker hidden under the back seat of the jon boat you floated in is where Owens' ghostly voice came out, and he described things along the river. Sometime in the mid 1970's, the theme was slightly altered. Now Matilda Jones' voice followed you along the route, as she looked for her no good husband, Pudgy Jones and his buddy, who were hiding out on the river. In the late 70's, the theme was slightly altered again. The Matilda and Pudgy Jones thing ended, now there was no character who went along with you on your journey, you just floated along the river and looked at the various scenes. Now, friendly gnomes inhabited the cave, and there were several scenes with gnomes inside. The gnome thing only lasted two or three seasons, from about '78-80. Then, in 1981 (in the wake of the Iranian hostage crisis and the coming of a new president, Ronald Reagan...there was a surge in feeling good about being an American, and the AMERICAN PLUNGE made it's debut.) The legacy of American daredevils began at SDC. I worked at the float trip in '79, midway through the "gnome" phase. I remember riding the float trip in '70 as a kid when the ghost of Jim Owens theme was in place, and then riding several times in my mid teens, in '77 and '78 when the Pudgy Jones era was in effect. It was a nice, relaxing family ride, and it is also one of the rides I have fond memories of as a guest and employee. So, Pudgy Jones is from the float trip, not the American Plunge.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:49:43 PM by Junior »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 06:45:59 PM »
Junior, you never cease to amaze me with your great knowlege of SDC dhat always seems instantly on the tip of your tongue so to speak...You are like a living historical audio tour of our beloves SDC...Herschend needs to bring you back to conduct historical tours...it could be like another scheduled show in the ol' pathfinder...10:00, 12:00, and 2:00 :)
Colorado SDC Fan

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 06:50:57 PM »
Aw, gee...shucks! (Hey SDC, this gun is for hire! ;D)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:51:38 PM by Junior »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 02:10:21 PM »
you would be great at it Junior! some of this stuff i remember, but just am not for sure about all of it. a guy like you has all the knowledge, being around SDC as long as you have.
Live life like it's the last day!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 02:12:28 PM »
I think all us ladies have had a pudgy jones problem at one time or another.....:)
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 06:53:27 PM »
the Matilda Jones voice (and something bubbling behind the boat like it was trailing you) was the stuff of nightmares when I was a kid.   Ironically, it's also one of my favorite memories.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 09:35:58 AM »
I remember riding the float trip in 1970 as a young kid, and when that ghostly voice of Jim Owens came up from under the seat...well, I was fascinated and scared at the same time. Funny thing, I don't remember it being done in a scary way at all. Just kind of like a narrative of what the scenes were showing with some humor thrown in. Of course, at 7 or 8, all my parents had to say was "ghost of Jim Owens" and my eyes bugged out! I didn't really know who Jim Owens was at the time, but, ya know, he was a GHOST!

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 09:44:16 AM »
I knew I wasn't going crazy...at least in regards to this, anyway!

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 04:42:49 PM »
Since I was 5 in the 1980 season, I don't remember much about JOFT. I do remember riding American Plunge right after it opened. The faces in the rocks in the cave scared the fire outta me.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 05:00:31 PM »
Since I was born in 1980...I don't remember any of it!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 05:01:57 PM »
Those faces were kind of neat! I'm glad someone remembers them. They had a three dimensional look to them, and were lit from behind. It appeared as if they were moving, or at least popping out of the rocks. Inside the cave they kept the barrell dump from the float trip, and a wall of water rushed down a steep incline of rocks toward the AP boats. That was 1981.