Author Topic: Man in Boat on Lake Silver  (Read 4726 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Man in Boat on Lake Silver
« on: August 25, 2013, 08:44:21 AM »
We've discussed here the piano player in the ice cream parlor, but does anyone remember the man in the boat on Lake Silver? This would be going back to the early 1970's. When  you rode the train, the robbery was done, and as the train was coming around the curves around the lake, the conductor would say he had a new fishing boat, and he was very proud of it. Then the boat would be spotted, not on the shore, but on the lake, and a man was sitting in it fishing. The conductor would get all upset and fire a shot at the guy in the boat...a dummy...and the figure would swivel around and shake a fist at the conductor. Always did get a good laugh. Any memories of this? The guy in the boat disappeared when they developed the new "Deepwoods" area of the park and the new big attraction, the diving bell. Now the lake didn't need the guy in the boat. He would be too distracting from watching the diving bell mock up go down into the water and Eli Tolts' sub on the other side of the lake going down.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

pintrader

Re: Man in Boat on Lake Silver
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 02:22:54 PM »
I do remember the man in the boat......but as I remember it which isn't that clear.  The conductor would shoot his gun and a stream of water would come up like the boat had just been hit.  That's all I recall!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 05:04:16 PM »
I do remember the man in the boat......but as I remember it which isn't that clear.  The conductor would shoot his gun and a stream of water would come up like the boat had just been hit.  That's all I recall!

Yes!  Now I remember!  It's unfortunate, but I doubt if anything like that ever comes back.  So sad...

BobKrause

• View Profile
    • Facebook - Bob Krause
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 08:32:41 AM »

That's what I remember, too...from my early childhood.  ;D

CrazyScarecrow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 11:16:24 AM »
I don't remember it because I wasn't alive back then, but when I was at the park last weekend I was taking a look at the drained Lake Silver and I did see a boat laying closer to the train tracks and where Splash Harbor used to be. Was that part of the man on the boat thing?

pintrader

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 01:34:03 PM »
No I don't believe that would be possible.  The man in the boat gimmick was probably 40 to 45 years ago as I remember.  But the man sitting in the boat may have lasted a little longer than that.  Just no water or conductor shooting at it.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 01:50:40 PM »
I'm not aware of anything from the man in the boat gag being left in or around the lake. The props would have been removed prior to the diving bell being installed, which was the winter of 1976-77.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 07:26:05 AM »
Now that my memory has been jogged loose, i remember that when i was a kid. I remember a stream of water shooting up.
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 09:39:59 AM »
Yes, your memory does not fail you! That's it!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 09:30:47 PM »
Yes, your memory does not fail you! That's it!

*sigh*  The good ol' days….and *bigger sigh* the way things used to be...