Author Topic: Landscaping, Greenhouses, and such!  (Read 2993 times)

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Landscaping, Greenhouses, and such!
« on: May 04, 2012, 04:01:41 PM »
I'm a bit of a gardener myself but in all of the years I have been to Silver Dollar City I never really put much thought into the process of landscaping at the park. But this year it really hit me what a LARGE undertaking this must be! Flowerbeds and pots everywhere in every nook and cranny! The park is beautiful and we all know that but what a job! I would assume for such a large project that SDC would have a greenhouse or two on property. Is this correct? Does anyone really know much about how this area within the park operates? I mean who decides what to plant? how long does it take? How many people? What is day to day upkeep like? I have always been fascinated by day to day operations like this can anyone tell me more?
The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!

Ozark Woodcarver

• McCoy
  • Demonstrating Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Artists Page
Re: Landscaping, Greenhouses, and such!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »
Last I knew it was 3rd partiIed by a landscaping company.  Yes, an enormous undertaking better and cheaper handled by folks that do nothing else.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 10:27:10 PM »
There is a greenhouse down by the mule barn west of M&C, but I believe most of the plants are ordered en masse from off park, and then planted by our own House & Grounds division employees.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

pintrader

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 08:11:45 AM »
I do know last year we were walking around the square looking at all the flowers.  There were hundreds still in their little plastic pots and they all had little markers from a local greenhouse or flower shop.  There was no telling how much money was just setting there in flowers.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 09:20:02 AM »
Flowers were sitting down near the lake last time I was there.  It takes the maintenance some time to get them all in.
Couple the size of the property they are planting with the new big mystery job out in the woods there and you can understand why it is taking them a little more time this year.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 09:20:18 AM »
I don't know where you got that idea, Pintrader, but it's absolutely, positively not true. SDC does not keep it's money in mason jars buried the garden. ;) It uses a bank, just like everyone else.  Geesh, if that rumor ever gets out, people will be pulling up plants right and left, and then our park won't look so nice anymore. And besides....I've been sworn to secrecy so I can't say which planter it's in.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:21:16 AM by Zephon »
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

pintrader

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 09:32:24 AM »
 I had to re-read what I had posted! That's Great! LoL  :)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 10:00:10 AM »
HA! The job of caring for the plants and flowers in the park is a big one. I always admired the people who did that work. They love their jobs and as evident are very good at it.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"