Author Topic: Shad Heller and Shepherd of the Hills  (Read 4162 times)

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Shad Heller and Shepherd of the Hills
« on: June 14, 2010, 12:37:42 AM »
I just finished reading Margaret Newton’s biography “Shad”.  It was an interesting read.  I didn’t realize that Shad/Lloyd played such a big role in getting The Shepherd of the Hills production up and running.  I am confused about one thing.  The book says that in 1966 Shad lost the lease on the theater in which SOTH was performed. “Negotiation  for a new lease on the theatre was not successful, and left the Hellers with no place to perform their beautiful show” (p.180), later the book mentions “the terrible loss of the Shepherd pageant” (p. 184). The book also mentions that Shad retained ownership of Old Mill Player's, Inc. (the group that produced the show). But the SOTH website says that, “In 1966, Mark Trimble bought out the other members of Old Mill Player’s, Inc., and began expanding marketing for the drama, and attendance grew steadily. Over the coming years the theatre would undergo several expansions, with the first one occurring in 1966..."  1966 is the year the book gives for Shad losing the lease.  Does anybody know what really happened with Shad and SOTH?

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Re: Shad Heller and Shepherd of the Hills
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 12:55:40 AM »
I knew of Shad's involvement with SOTH from the early days, and I always had the feeling that he had been "edged" out of it somehow, but I never heard him talk much about it.  Here's a link to a good article by Dawn Larsen about his Corn Crib Theatre:  http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:Wca-UkitnNQJ:www.ozarksmountaineer.com/CornCribTheatre.pdf+Shad+Heller&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjOCKxYiF8KfcAViKhToN0lUShUe2XT0pNHmLJ65rvNEWgnLI5lOI_IybLU1KprmL458OIfgh_wvLQtJbcYzhZc6AWoxaa-8W6-3dn-jS6U4r9JuEdudrhLtjPjLwpfAp3kW4U7&sig=AHIEtbQDkM-Lnmfk_g9N2vKET0k6CLTmKA
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 12:56:38 AM by Zephon »
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 08:09:03 AM »
I think Shad may have been "edged out" too. But success is the best revenge. The Toby Show and Wilderness Settlement had a good run! Dawn Larsen was the daughter of my drama teacher at Branson High School. Dawn and I went to high school together. She was a member of the Toby Show cast, too, about that time...as well as the Lost Silver Mine play at Lakeview (Branson West)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

jerkatis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 09:20:21 PM »
I'm a shirt-tail relative of Shad and Molly (my grandparents had the metal works shop at the settlement).  I was always told growing up that he'd been edged out and it had something to do with changing a will of someone on their deathbed.  This was years ago and unfortunately my grandparents aren't around anymore for me to ask......

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 03:43:21 PM »
Interesting topic!  I didn't realize Shad was involved in SOH.  I think I first saw that play when I was in high school.  I've seen it a couple times in the past few years, but nothing compares to seeing it years ago in the Fall.  They used to pass out blankets when the weather was cool.  Remember the warmth you could feel when the cabin was on fire? I think I liked it better years ago when the crowds were larger and they didn't use the canned music in the background.  There was nothing like sitting there listening to the night sounds!

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 06:13:31 PM »
Yep.  Certainly was better back in the good old days when SOH was WAY out of town.  I remember one time we were watching the performance when CC started shooting off their fireworks!  Talk about killing the atmosphere!  Now you have all the lights of the strip breaking the darkness and lest we forget the occasional helicopter flying around!  Back in the day, you were actually out in the mountains away from the strip.  Back then though, the only shows on the strip were the Baldknobbers, The Presleys and the Foggy River Boys.  Mutton Hollow was still alive and well and Jim Lanes Cabin was still standing.  Heck, SDC ended at FITH and at the exit of the FM!!!!  LOL  Ah, the good old days!