Author Topic: Last Day of the 2011 Season  (Read 9678 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Last Day of the 2011 Season
« on: December 30, 2011, 11:48:05 AM »
It's here. We are all sad the park will be closed for the next two and a half months. They will clean up, fix up, spruce up, paint up, and reopen mid March. Any thoughts on the 2011 season on this last day? General comments, hopes for 2012, so on? If anyone is on park today, please post a trip report and post photos.  :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
Re: Last Day of the 2011 Season
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 12:17:01 PM »
Let the daydreaming begin!!!!  ;D

Ahh off season, it's that time of year, when we all sit around talking about what my or may-not happen during these next 3 months. So many updates and things I would love to see during the off-season; but probally my #1 thing I would love to see updated/refurbished is the American Plunge; that tunnel is a sad reminder of what once was.

Happy last day SDC, we'll see ya next year!  :)
You have a great past just ahead of you.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 01:18:43 PM »
1. Death to the basketballs/air brush crap
2. More street performances
3. Medium crowding when I am there
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 01:28:49 PM »
I would also like to see work done to AP. I hate the tunnel. Its lame.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 02:34:40 PM »
1. Death to the basketballs/air brush crap
2. More street performances
3. Medium crowding when I am there

That is my whole wishlist!!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Kentucky Optimist

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 05:43:04 PM »
I'd love to see a perfect reconstruction of the "apple butter cabin" that used to stand next to the entrance line for AP.  I have great memories from the 80's and 90's of watching the guests faces as they came down the AP hill and then ducking into the apple butter cabin for an apple turnover.  Since that's unlikely to happen I'll stick with the rest of the group and hope that we see a major removal of all things out of theme (basketballs, games you pay for, air brush junk, dip n dots, time share sales pitches, anything brought to me by Humana, etc.).
Finest Cuts of Meat & Pianos Tuned

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 10:09:13 PM »
I just got home. I'll try to get a trip review up tomorrow, but here's a quick teaser:

Weather was phenomenal.
Crowds were about ideal (from both guests and SDC's perspective).
Park looked outstanding.
Stayed open longer than advertised.

Details to come.....
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 10:18:54 PM »
You said "goodbye" for me, right?  ;)

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 10:23:13 PM »
I did.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 10:25:30 PM »
I didn't realize at the time that my last day for the season was really my last day for the season  :'(
We had planned on going again, but never got a chance to.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 06:51:42 AM »
We made 2 trips to SDC this year. One with my parents, & one with a newbie. In my opinion, that is the best kind of people to go with. One trip was very slow & relaxing, the other trip was fast paced because there was almost 20,000 people there! I had fun like always, & have picture videos on YouTube to go back to & enjoy anytime i want. We had 2 other trips planned, but they didnt work out.

2012? For us, from now on, our trips will be on Sundays or during the week. So we can stay away from the crowds. We have a trip planned with my brother & his girlfriend in June or July for in the middle of the week.

The park itself? I would like to see bumper stickers make a come back, baldknobber t-shirts, maybe models of some of the attractions that you can put together your self. Could you imagine a model of the train or the FITH train?!
Some of the food places need a upgrade. And better discounts for season pass holders.
The cave needs some recognition. Its what started the whole thing but ya never hear about it in commercials or promotions.

We all still need to TRY & plan a SDC Fans Forum Day. 8)
Sleep tight SDC, Thanks for another great year! See ya soon!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 06:55:29 AM by How-doFolks »
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 08:21:21 AM »
I always have thought it would be cool if they would offer HO scale electric train sets of the Frisco/Silver Dollar Line, and HO scale SDC buildings, people, animals and other things like a stagecoach, buggys, wagons, and so on. Wouldn't that be a great present under someones Christmas tree...like mine! Also, why don't they reissue the Burl Ives' America show, and several of the albums and VHS tapes but on CD and DVD? I'd buy them all over again, really. 
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 10:17:59 AM »
I always have thought it would be cool if they would offer HO scale electric train sets of the Frisco/Silver Dollar Line, and HO scale SDC buildings, people, animals and other things like a stagecoach, buggys, wagons, and so on. Wouldn't that be a great present under someones Christmas tree...like mine! Also, why don't they reissue the Burl Ives' America show, and several of the albums and VHS tapes but on CD and DVD? I'd buy them all over again, really. 

I'll second that, Junior.  We have both vhs tapes from '91 and '98 and a broken vhs player.  :( They either need to release those on DVD or tape a new one.  We'd buy them as well.
I'm Your Huckleberry

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 10:59:47 AM »

Excellent ideas! Hopefully those that read this forum will take note.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 11:04:02 AM »
~Like Junior said, I think HO scale of SDC buildings would be really cool, and then you can plug them in and turn it into OTC!
~I want to see Tinker come back for OTC!
~They should record the big stage productions on DVD and sell them.
~And more publicity for the cave.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 11:05:44 AM by tiffanylynnt »