Author Topic: What are your Harvest Festival Recommendations?  (Read 5315 times)

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
What are your Harvest Festival Recommendations?
« on: September 08, 2011, 01:42:17 PM »
Though we like to visit SDC 2-3 times a year, this year will mark our first trip to the Harvest Festival in about 13 years.  What are your recommendations of things we shouldn't miss?  Thanks!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: What are your Harvest Festival Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 02:54:35 PM »
Make sure you see "heading west" at the opera house!  And i strongly suggest the GAC show after the park closes if you have not seen it yet this year.

Kentucky Optimist

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 03:42:21 PM »
We always started our fall day with a pumpkin funnel cake and some hot cider...but that may not be your idea of breakfast.  We try to keep an open mind and catch as many shows and musical acts as possible, even if it's not something we would normally listen to.  At some point during the day I would recommend the warm apple dumpling with cinnamon ice cream- I like to eat mine on the back porch of the culinary school or while sitting on the stone fence near the train station.  There are a lot of really neat temporary demonstrating craftsman that I like to stop and watch, I know "crafts" conjures up images of stuffed dolls and baskets with sayings pained on them, but they have a lot of cool manly things to watch being created.  I couldn't think of too many things that are specific to SDC at the harvest festival, but I think the weather, fall colors, temps, crafts and food all come together to be what I think of when I think of fall.  The harvest fest is my favorite time at SDC, with christmas coming in a close second.  Funny that I love the harvest fest so much, but couldn't put my finger on what makes it so special or what parts of it are "can't miss."  I guess that's just the essence of SDC...
Finest Cuts of Meat & Pianos Tuned

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 09:46:06 AM »
Well, here are some “don’t miss” Harvest Festival ideas from Silver Dollar City’s website.

NEW Timberworks Lumberjack Show
NEW Chalk Street Artists
NEW Turning Wood Into Art Showcase
NEW 50-Ton Sand Sculpture
NEW Professional Pumpkin Carver
Birds of Prey Shows including Bald Eagles, Hawks, Owls & More
Made In Missouri Juried Exhibit & Sale featuring
Best of Missouri Hands Artists
The Big Wheel Lathe returns
Chainsaw Carvers
Papermaking Demonstrations
Missouri's Largest Barn Dance Plus, hundreds of demonstrating craftsmen throughout the park

And of course, the Headin’ West show mentioned by sanddunerider.

Funny that I love the harvest fest so much, but couldn't put my finger on what makes it so special or what parts of it are "can't miss."  I guess that's just the essence of SDC...

Agreed! There is just something about the cool crisp air, the sunburst colors of changing leaves, and that pumpkin spice aroma that tickles the senses. :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
the lumberjack shows should be great.. i am hoping there is plenty of spectator room around the events..

AND dont forget ALL of the extra crafts booths that will be set up all over the city!

SHould be a great fall festival!

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 03:03:50 PM »
Thanks for all of your suggestions.  We pretty much checked out everything mentioned here, but we could not find the pumpkin funnel cakes or hot cider.  Maybe it was just too early in the season.

Kentucky Optimist

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 04:39:04 PM »
Thanks for all of your suggestions.  We pretty much checked out everything mentioned here, but we could not find the pumpkin funnel cakes or hot cider.  Maybe it was just too early in the season.

That may be the case, when we have been there in the summer time they have funnel cakes with either peach or blackberry topping and I believe that changes to pumpkin in the fall.  We always get our funnel cakes across from the blacksmith shop, just before the candy factory.  Back before the food prices went up the funnel cakes just had one flat price for "with toppings."  My brother would order a funnel cake- 1/4 topped with cherry, 1/4 with apple, 1/4 with pumpkin and 1/4 glazed, he would then have the whole thing dusted with cinnamon.  (Just for the record we split that between 6 or 8 people, lest everyone on this site think we're gluttons- hey, at least we didn't get it with ice cream on top of all that.)  Now that the food prices went up I think they tag you for like $1.25 for each extra topping...which makes this little calorie bomb a $10 funnel cake.  We got one at our last trip just for old times' sake and it was worth every penny of $10.  Back when it was one set price you had to smile real big and make puppy eyes at the ladies who were making it for you (plus there wasn't a line since we always had one as soon as we got into the park), now that you have to pay per topping they didn't seem to mind as long as you were willing to pay.  I don't think I'd even want one this time of year, it's a bit warm still.  My family usually goes in mid to late Oct when it is much cooler.  Glad you had fun, sorry I wasn't more descriptive BEFORE you went to SDC.
Finest Cuts of Meat & Pianos Tuned

Destination SDC

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 08:54:08 PM »
We're headed to SDC Columbus Day Weekend.  We have only been there for Old Time Christmas and Kid's Fest, we've never been there for Harvest Festival.  My question is:  When do they start serving Hot Chocolate (with the works, of course).  Will they have it this time of year yet? Or do we have to wait until Christmas time?  Just wondering.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 05:11:55 PM »
Not sure about the hot chocolate, but I'm guessing ~ probably not yet.  We will be there mid October - hoping the leaves will have color.  As mentioned earlier, take in Headin' West - it's worth waiting in line to see.  Admire the decorations, the sights and the smells.  Find the place that makes sorghum and sample it, visit the fellow that makes the wooden buckets,  walk thru Delilah's Bakery for a "smellavision" experience, then head over to Sullivan's Mill for cinnamon bread. Get yourself a good, hot drink and a place to sit ~ and ~ sit "fer a spell" to take it all in.  Don't forget to listen to Danny Eaken and the Homestead Pickers.  I hope that man never retires. 

Pumpkin funnel cakes????  How long have I been missing out on this? Yum!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 09:55:11 PM »
I have not been fortunate enough for the pumpkin funnel cakes...someday...
As for the hot chocolate, I have seen them serving it in the spring on an unseasonably cold day (they brought it out special for the cold weather spell) I am pretty sure they would do the samer for Fall, just maybe not the works yet.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 11:29:52 PM »
I don't think I'd even want one this time of year, it's a bit warm still.  My family usually goes in mid to late Oct when it is much cooler.

I am 42, and have eaten many many a funnel cake while standing half soaked in squeeky tennis shoes dripping on sizzling black asfalut!   I can eat a funnel cake regardless of temperature or present weather conditions!!! My Funnel Cake Fever knows know boundries!!!
  I guess thats what seperates us......................................the " Ol" Folks that is !     :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 07:12:29 AM »
your right mhguy.   the best time for a funnel cake is.................................. whenever the city is open!     And for me..... NO toppings!  thanks you

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 08:37:38 AM »
All i can say is YUMMMMMMMY!!!!!

Harp

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 10:02:03 AM »
Homestead Pickers at the cabin and at the pickin shed in the afternoon.  The jam session often features other performers from the park that you would never know about otherwise.  They also open it to anyone that wants to get up and do something, playing, singing, and joke telling.  A good time for sure.

Harp

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 08:08:02 PM »
replacing the trams with horse drawn hay rides!!!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!