Author Topic: Bass Pro's Undoing  (Read 8993 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Bass Pro's Undoing
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 08:07:45 AM »
Chittlins: I didn't know the observation deck never opened. I could swear I had friends who went up in there. About the acoustics, you are right! I remember the city going to all sorts of trouble to "improve" the sound inside there. I did see some of the "Memphis Wonders" series of cultural events and exhibits in there including Russian/German artifacts from WWII, Titanic display, and an Egyptian exhibit. All three were fabulous.
--
Memphis finally did get it's Hard Rock Cafe. It is located on Beale Street.
--
Flooding on the Mississippi in the last few years has created all kinds of headaches in maitaining the Pyramid. One corner of the foundation is is rough shape.
--
Trivia: When the Pyramid was built, several businesses were named in recognition. One of the most visible was the "Pyramid Deli" located in the downtown area. I remember passing it several times. It is shown in the movie "The Firm" starring Tom Cruise. A scene was shot inside the deli, and it is mentioned by name in another scene.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Bass Pro's Undoing
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 07:35:53 PM »
The Wonders exihibits never made much money and got axed under the corrupt King Willie administration. Sometimes they tried to incorporate it with the Memphis in May honored country.  Sometimes you bite the bullet and do this anyways. Memphis is actually in the process of possible renovating it's convention center as part of this redevelopment project. The Convo is way past prime and holds nothing of significance anymore. The have already redone what we used to call the Auditorium North Hall and is home the Symphony.

I consider the Memphis Zoo rather top notch.

I hope the new Beale St. Landing and revived American (Delta) Queen cruises to be based there make it.

I hope that someone finally redevelopes the old Tennessee Brewing Co. complex. It's got a great grand staircase.

I pray for continued growth, support and success of St. Jude