Author Topic: 2011 Crowd Levels  (Read 11302 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
2011 Crowd Levels
« on: July 07, 2011, 01:58:58 AM »
So I've been reading reviews from this year from a host of sites and I'm seeing a common theme this year: crowds have been light almost every day excluding the few major weekends. Anyone else that's been several times this year experiencing this?

I heard that last year and the year before that the park did quite well, or at least did better than expected. This year suddenly it sounds like the park might be scrapping by.

The economy is of course the first thing to blame - a lot of people have mentioned they can't afford it this year, but I've also got to wonder how much is due to the lack of major new attractions (especially after the loss of several attractions in 2009) and a generational shift that expects different things from the park. I also still think the park is in a bit of a sore spot at the moment because of their increasing dependence on rides to get people into the park. A growing number of people treat the park like any other theme park with rides and consider the gate price too high for the number of rides in the park. Like we've discussed before, the park has to stretch itself to keep enticing new, younger guests with rides and satisfy the loyal customer base with high-quality shows, crafts and atmosphere, and right now is probably the height of that stretch.

It sure seems like a bad time for the park to be skimping on the new additions. 2011 is the tenth year in a row since we've seen a net increase in the number of coasters in the park (though the two new replacements are definitely huge improvements), and since 2007 it seems like more attractions have been taken out of the park than added. I don't necessarily want to see them add a bunch of rides, but I feel like at this point they've already got too many not to keep building up their collection in the face of growing expectations in that area from the younger generations of guests.

Don't get me wrong, the park had done a pretty darn good job of staying true to its self in light of all the modern challenges being thrown at it, but you've got to admit it seems like for all the "minor" improvements that have been made over the past several years, the park is kind of spinning its wheels in terms of adding new experiences, and I definitely feel like this might be an elephant in the room that people are starting to feel when they make a decision to visit or not. With 2008, 2009, 2011, and now 2012 appearing to be small capital investment years, it feels like the park is kind of in limbo even though we the fans have been observing various continued improvements all around. I just wish they'd make a major investment soon and really add to the park, whether it be with a new ride, theatre/show, or whatever.

What do you guys think?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Crowd Levels
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 07:26:22 AM »
""Like we've discussed before, the park has to stretch itself to keep enticing new, younger guests with rides and satisfy the loyal customer base with high-quality shows, crafts and atmosphere, and """

Your right on the "money" as usual Steve. The only thing I think that needs to be stressed or added is that in order for younger people to be drawn to the city, WE as adults need to bring the kids in and show the city as a whole.  The city is NOT a theme park and that message is being lost to the general public.  IMHO.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 09:17:11 AM »
Went twice int he spring.  On one of those visits (BG&BBQ), the crowds were moderate; during the other (WF), the park was pretty crowded (Line for the Russian circus stretched all the way up to the Baldknobber Bridge).

I can't really give an opion about new attractions becasue they generally don't attrract me--I'd be just as happy if there were NO coasters at SDC.  BUT I know that it is a personal preference, and I can't afford to pay their bills by myself  ;)

I do think that more evening/night time hours would be an attraction, but I have no idea how they would handle the necessary overhead on that one.  They'd have to nearly doulbe their staff, I would think.  I don't think it would pay.

pintrader

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 10:27:57 AM »
The park seems to run in cycles.  There are naturally going to be down years but there are also going to be up years.  This just happens to look like a down year.  I agree it looks like the economy is the biggest factor in this year's attendance numbers.  I myself have been going to SDC since 1963.  Why did I and thousands of other people keep coming back in the 70's, 80's, 90's and today?  It's the great memories and fond experiences of past visits.  I don't necessarily think SDC needs to add attractions and rides year after year to stay competitive.  They would make a lot of people happy if they would just put money into taking care of the rides and attractions they now have.  Don't get me wrong!  I know things need to be added, but their choices over the last couple of years have left a lot of people scratching their heads.  With that being said, I will still spend my hard earned money at SDC  :).

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 10:58:48 AM »
The city is NOT a theme park and that message is being lost to the general public.  IMHO.

In my opinion, Silver Dollar City is a theme park, but it is not an amusement park. However I totally get what you are saying. ;)

I know things need to be added, but their choices over the last couple of years have left a lot of people scratching their heads.

I agree with this for the most part. With the additions of the Culinary School, and Riverblast, and now Half Dollar Holler, every attraction that Silver Dollar City has put in has a very narrow interest margin. You either like the attraction, or you don't.

This thread is definitely opening a tasty can of worms! It also goes back to Business Management 101. Getting back to the park’s original roots, and sticking with them is what would really help the park. However, management is becoming way to concerned about staying cool, and hip, and current (Case Study number 1: The modern, and very out-of-theme music at Midnight Madness).  For over five decades, the park has garnered the love from its guest of all generations. Why management feels that today’s generation is different is beyond me. Sure times are changing, and businesses must adapt. However, they should trust that the original recipe that worked so well for previous generations will work just as well now.

I am actually glad that the park numbers are down. It means fewer people that I bump shoulders with, and shorter wait times for the rides, and shows. ;D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 11:00:08 AM by Ozark BBQ »

cocodane3

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 11:29:10 AM »
Last year during OTC a park employee told me that ticket sales where up but merchandise sales were down by a profitable margin. However a person would have to take the average ticket sales-total ticket sales=ticket sales difference . Then u would have to add the difference of ticket sales to the total merchandise sales. Only after this is done can u tell if there is a large difference from the past years. Did this make since?

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 12:57:32 PM »
Last year during OTC a park employee told me that ticket sales where up but merchandise sales were down by a profitable margin.

Well, if they would put out merchandise, and souvenirs worth buying! Their apparel line was very lackluster during my last visit especially. I want something sharp looking, with less cheesiness about it.

Either way I digress as that is a whole different topic all together. :)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 01:26:42 PM »
Quote from: Ozark BBQ

I agree with this for the most part. With the additions of the Culinary School, and Riverblast, and now Half Dollar Holler, every attraction that Silver Dollar City has put in has a very narrow interest margin. You either like the attraction, or you don't.

What's funny is that I think all of these are tremendous additions, but I feel like they've been added in such a way that they've almost detracted from the park as a whole during the past few years instead of uplifting it. RB looks great and water rides are welcome additions considering how crowded Lost River and AP get, but then they went and took out other two popular water attractions when they put it in! And on top of that, the loss of two family rides, a huge, classic play area, and a serene corner of the park put a dent into some of the park's old charm, I feel. HDH makes up a small fraction for this, but the fact that it's been designed around pre-schoolers instead of younger kids in general still leaves a huge void (plus it took out yet another serene corner of the park).

I guess I've said all this before though. It just seems like it's becoming more and more of a shared opinion from what I've read this year. I still hope that the park is simply using the economic downturn as a time to prepare for major expansions down the road. Even if we haven't gotten a net increase in attractions, we do have new parking lots, new pathways, improvements to rides, and other park improvements, and that's something at least. If we can get a couple new experiences of any kind I'm sure people will line up again.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 03:03:15 PM »
They need a "PeopleMover" ride. Something like Disney's Haunted Mansion. Something with extreme atmosphere, but appeals to all ages and can be ridden by people of any physical condition; something that is constantly moving and keeps people coming back because the line moves all the time.

Flooded Mine's the closest thing SDC has to something like that, but even that is somewhat specific in appeal and the technology is admittedly dated.

I dunno if Herschend has the resources to invest in a single project that could be at least *near* Disney standard, but if they do, I'd certainly encourage them to try for it.

pintrader

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 03:45:58 PM »
They need a "PeopleMover" ride. Something like Disney's Haunted Mansion. Something with extreme atmosphere, but appeals to all ages and can be ridden by people of any physical condition; something that is constantly moving and keeps people coming back because the line moves all the time.

I agree!  Why keep pumping money into these smaller rides and attractions that don't seem to keep the majority interested.  I feel they could have saved their money over the last few years and pumped something into the park that would really ignite a lot of interest for young and old alike.  Like my father used to tell me " It only costs 10 cents more to go first class".

cocodane3

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 04:18:32 PM »
In this case it's more like 10 million instead of ten cents. If u catch my line of thinking.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 05:18:09 PM »
Here's my thoughts, take them for what they are worth:

Give up on CC, sell the property, the rides, whatever else is left and reinvest whatever money is left in SDC.

Move management back to Branson, or at least have a mid or upper level manager (someone within 1 or 2 steps down the ladder from Mamby) on park all the time. HFE would be nothing without SDC and although I realize that the aquariums, ducks, etc. are fine it seems like they are forgetting where they came from.

Fix everything possible that's already on park.

Put the bridge back in FITH.

Cut the number of Chinese items being sold in the stores by 50% or more.

Take down the Water Boggan tower. It doesn't look like it's going to be used for anything in the near future and it looks ridiculous to have it standing there doing nothing. Or, put the WB back in.

Advertise. I don't think I have seen a tv commercial for SDC in 20 years. And not just the rides, the crafts, the festivals, etc.

The log hewing is a step in the right direction, IMO, would like to see more of this.

Personally the music at Moonlight Madness and having Sponge Bob at Kids Fest doesn't bother me. (ok, let the arrows fly) My kids like it and they also like going to all the other fests just as much, it's not all year and all the purists know when it is and when to avoid it.(pot officially stirred now :) )

I just got my email survey today, may have to edit this after I fill it out if I think of something else.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 05:18:57 PM by thelarsonsix »
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 06:01:49 PM »
I also got an e-mail survey from SDC today and just took it.  It asked about their website and the different ways I get info about SDC (of course in the comment section I put SDCfans.com!)
Any one of those 3 ride concepts they asked about in the May survey would, I think, generate bigger crowds at SDC, especially the woodie!

I'm Your Huckleberry

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 06:27:55 PM »
"""Cut the number of Chinese items being sold in the stores by 50% or more."""

LIKE THAT!!!  ;D ;D

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile