Author Topic: It's a Wonderful Life  (Read 12109 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: It's a Wonderful Life
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 07:13:40 PM »
Very good show, exceeded my expectations. It will return

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 09:47:44 PM »
Oh yeah it will return.  It has been receiving very favorable guests scores on exit surveys
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2012, 05:46:38 AM »
oh, yes it will be back....  along with the new stunt show in the fall

SDC did a good job this year, next year will bring more..

buckmehoff

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2012, 10:11:06 AM »
We weren't quite as awed by "It's a Wonderful Life" as some of the rest of you.  The production did have it's good qualities; the singing and dancing was good, and the technical aspects were pretty cool.  But we felt it was too much spectacle, the development of relationships between characters being sacrificed for big production numbers.  It wasn't the fault of the actors, there simply wasn't enough "story" to move those relationships along. Rather than music moving the story along, it seemed that dialog and story were merely there to tie one production number to the next.  Consequently, we were not able to make that emotional connection that every show should try to make with the audience.  On the other hand, the "Dickens' Christmas Carol" show has a nice balance between the music and the story.  We're glad we saw the show, and we may see it again next year to see if any issues are corrected by a re-write, but it will not become that "must see every year" show for us.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2012, 12:38:23 PM »
We weren't quite as awed by "It's a Wonderful Life" as some of the rest of you.  The production did have it's good qualities; the singing and dancing was good, and the technical aspects were pretty cool.  But we felt it was too much spectacle, the development of relationships between characters being sacrificed for big production numbers.  It wasn't the fault of the actors, there simply wasn't enough "story" to move those relationships along. Rather than music moving the story along, it seemed that dialog and story were merely there to tie one production number to the next

I can consider IAWL to be a review of a story most of us know.  Its a nice clean retro Christmas feeling that is missing from modern day story's. 
You almost have to know a little about the movie to follow so I understand your review and your opinions have merit.  I did enjoy the show.  On past trips to Dollywood I saw shows that were award winning and thought that SDC Christmas shows beat them.   We are lucky they seem to be continuing to pour money into the entertainment.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2012, 05:06:04 PM »
Wonderful Life scripting, I'm sure, will continue to develop. My wife and I enjoyed it, but noticed holes in the storyline that probably could have been filled in better. We both loved Christmas Carol. However, SDC has had several years to tinker with it and get it down good. Wonderful life will come along, too. Give it a season or two.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2012, 05:08:32 PM »
I agree junior, Give it a year or 2 it will come around.....'

And jump back to last festival, it will beinteresting to see them rework the stuntman show also.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2012, 08:15:29 PM »
Maybe they will cut back on the Wail Scream crud....
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2012, 11:11:51 AM »
Maybe they will cut back on the Wail Scream crud....

LOL!!!  your right of course!!  That screaming got real old, real fast!!!.. ;D

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2012, 11:07:59 AM »
Wail scream Crud???? You lost me

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2012, 11:21:39 AM »
okie... the mayors daughter was running around screaming ALL the time..  AND she has a very shrill scream.....LOL....   WOW!!  very nerve racking..

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2012, 12:03:06 PM »
The show was good, I loved the set design using the catwalk for several scenes , most notably the bridge scene.  I do agree that there were holes in the story, and time should help fill those in. What can you do to fit a full movie into a 60 minute show?

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2012, 07:51:16 PM »
okie... the mayors daughter was running around screaming ALL the time..  AND she has a very shrill scream.....LOL....   WOW!!  very nerve racking..

Yup!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2013, 10:31:23 PM »
I think the most unbalanced part of the storyline in IAWL is that there isn't much time spent at all in the "Life Without George" section. I felt like there wasn't quite enough of an impact of just how much of a difference it was without him there. Otherwise, I didn't have any real probs with the show.