Author Topic: A 2-part ride question  (Read 7788 times)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
A 2-part ride question
« on: June 10, 2011, 06:05:03 PM »
I've been looking at older threads and noticed a couple of posts where guests were allowed to ride multiple times without having to get off during less attended days.  Someone posted riding Lost River 10 times and Shave posted that he got to ride Wildfire 17 times in a row without having to get off the ride.  This got me to thinking a)whether anyone has ever attempted to set a record for continous riding at SDC?  We've all seen the news stories where someone rides a coaster continuosly for weeks in a row. And b) if you were to attempt to set a record which ride at SDC would you choose?  I'd have to go with Fire in the Hole.  It doesn't beat you up as much as the other coasters; there are longer more restful parts of the ride to recover; it's dark and relaxing; and it's inside out of the weather and climate controlled.  Any thoughts on this?
I'm Your Huckleberry

Polley

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: A 2-part ride question
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 07:19:49 PM »
When I was a kid, on a cold day I rode the lost river 21 times.  :-\ I loved that ride haha. If I had to choose today I would pick barn swing  I think it's my new fav.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 07:20:10 PM »
My sister, cousin, mother, and I rode Lost River 15 times in a row back in... '97? Somewhere around that time. It was mid-October, if I remember right, so it was cool and there was literally no one in line each time we ended the ride. So because my cousin was flirting with one of the ride operators, he let us keep riding without getting off.

We wouldn't have done it if we'd known that right after, we'd be on the train and it'd break down in the middle of the woods and we'd have to wait an hour in soaking wet clothes in the decreasing temperatures to get taken back into the park... LOL

If I were going for a record, I'd ride Flooded Mine. It would be SO easy for me to spend all day/night on that thing.

pintrader

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 07:26:52 PM »
I have heard in the past about some types of records being set for FITH, but I am not sure of the facts and the numbers.  I myself would probably also like to choose FITH but I would probably opt out in favor of the train.  I am not sure after 50 straight times of FITH how the old body (and I do mean old) would feel.  After 50 straight times on the train I am pretty sure I would be asleep, but at least I would be alive  :).

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 08:16:17 PM »
well that wont happen now..

something about roller coaster safety? you have to get off the ride and come back around and then get back on.. we were on FITH last weekend and NOBODY around, the prison gaurd told us we had to get off and said that was why..

FM, lost river wont be affected..

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 08:26:31 PM »
All the "intense" rides make you get off and get back in line even if you're the only one in the park. FITH, TNT, WF, PK, GS, and ES. Think that's all. I haven't seen the sign at Lost River for that, but we rarely ride it due to either it's too cold or the line is incredibly long. We have stayed on FM for 3 or 4 trips in a row.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 09:12:16 PM »
I do remember about 80 or 81 or 82 some kid, probably about 11 to 13 years old, was able to ride either FITH...or maybe go into the cave time and time again for tours and he did set a record. I'll have to dig up the photo and article in the paper from back then that I clipped and saved. Don't know about in recent years, though. I'll look through my files and post it on Flickr.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 09:35:48 PM »
The year was 1979, and a kid from the St. Louis area set a record in July touring Marvel Cave. From the Branson Beacon newspaper is a clipping with photo and caption. See it at my Flickr site:       http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 09:38:13 PM »
That's not Rube is it?  ;D
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 09:49:12 PM »
Nope! :)    Probably his cousin!!!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 09:52:15 PM »
Last week on FM we were offered 3 times in a row to stay on. I think that is my own record for that one, however I would ride that all day long.

Besides Guinness only accepts the following...
THEME PARK RIDES
We only list two records for this category. The first is for the longest continuous ride on any roller coaster that meets certain requirements, and the second is for the longest continuous ride on a Ferris wheel meeting particular requirements.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/member/is_it_a_record.aspx

I rode The Boss at SF StL in 2001 for one time through with Richard Rodriguez when he lasted 100 consecutive days on The Boss. Rodriguez is a rollercoaster veteran who has broken an incredible 17 world records over the past 30 years (until a change in Guinness World Record guidelines meant many were no longer recognized.)
http://www.sixflags.com/stLouis/rides/TheBoss.aspx

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 10:50:42 PM »
A few years ago when they did let you stay on the coasters and ride again I got to ride Fire in the Hole by myself for 4 times in a row.  Kind of spooky knowing I was the only one in there. It was Thursday morning during the Fall Festival and there weren't many people at the City yet.  My son was, I think, 2 at the time and not tall enough to ride so my wife took him to look in the shops and I was free to ride for a while.
I'm Your Huckleberry

pintrader

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 11:28:50 PM »
I can't imagine a kid that young going through the cave 10 times in 2 days.  I bet he grew up running marathons or joining iron man competitions.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 11:33:49 PM »
Oh how I cherish the old days! I can remember a few years ago when the ride attendants not only allowed me to, but encouraged me to ride both Wildfire, Thunderation, and Fire in the Hole, back to back.

On my trip last year I tried the same thing during a low attendance day, and I was promptly informed that it wasn’t going to happen. Whew, there is nothing quite like having to walk that same long path down, and then back up to Thunderation’s station platform over, and over again. :-X

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 01:11:46 PM »
When it wasn't busy, I'd let folks stay on the boat and ride around as much as they wanted...that was back in 1979 at Jim Owens' Float Trip Ride. We had some groupies, so to speak, at the diving bell, too...but I won't go into those stories here! ;)