Author Topic: Joplin Mo. Tornado 2011  (Read 26818 times)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Joplin Mo. Tornado 2011
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2011, 01:41:38 PM »
Any of you that are affected. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you out. We are praying for you.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2011, 04:12:21 PM »
Went to granny today nothin left she is fine I am good very blessed to have home
granny has no home but is living with her son.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2011, 07:47:53 PM »
no doubt, terrible situation,,

check this link for before and after pictures....makes you wonder why there werent more deaths.? 

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/05/26/2906108/before-and-after-a-birds-eye-view.html

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2011, 08:44:51 AM »
^ That is absolutly terrible! That was so hard to see as you click and drag it accross the screen.  :'(
You have a great past just ahead of you.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2011, 02:33:39 PM »
Tornado Work-May 27th

I reported to the Bridge this morning to do whatever they needed me to do.  The first thing we did was stack water 6 cases high on pallets, shrink wrapped them, and moved them to a staging area.  There had to have been 20 pallets of water, with approximately 36 cases of water on each.  Unbelievable amounts of water.  We then put together boxes so that families could easily transport the goods that they came for.  When we finished, there were about 75 volunteers with nothing to do.  Many of them left, frustrated because they were begging for help, but had nothing to do after we finished the first task.  I understand they are reorganizing efforts, but I am afraid volunteers will stop coming if something isn't done quickly.  They will go find work on their own.  After logging on to facebook, we found that one of our scrapbooking friends needed boxes, tape, work gloves, and water.  We packed up a friends truck and headed out. 

This was my first time in the "disaster zone" for anything but a quick look.  It is unbelievable.  If someone will reply back with how to do it, I will put a few pictures at the bottom so you have an idea of what I saw today.  When we got to Melissa's house, she was so great-full for what we had she didn't even know how to respond.  We had planned on helping her for about 2 hours, but she just needed to be with her family.  So I took my nephew Shea (13), the extra work gloves, and a case of water and started walking.  We saw many people that just needed support.  Our work gloves were gone in no time, because they are out at every store in Joplin.  Many people are working in the debris with bare hands.  Many medical personnel are focused on just taking care of infected cuts at this point in time.  We were going to get tetanus shots today, but they have run out.  We are hoping that there will be some tomorrow so that we can get ours. 

Once we were out of water and gloves, we drove around, looking for people that were in need of help.  The streets were pretty sparse of people, so we just kept driving.  At 20th and Rangeline, a major intersection, we saw a group of rescuers standing on top of what we believe to be the building where The Big Nickel, a classifieds paper, was housed.  We aren't completely sure that's what it was though.  They had a dog with them.  An ambulance and firetruck was also there.  They were digging.  We assume that the got a hit from the cadaver dog that was with them.  They did not appear to be in a big hurry, but you could tell they were focusing on clearing a certain area.  We never did see them find anything, but they were still digging when we left.  I pray that they don't find anything, but I'm almost positive they did. 

As for what is needed, just go back to the post I made before.  You can add work gloves, boxes, and plastic totes to that list.  It is hard to narrow in on one need at this point.  There are dozens of semis coming in this weekend that will be full of stuff.

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2011, 02:57:43 PM »
I have been in Joplin everyday this week and all i can say is none of the pictures do it justice. When u are standing there and all you can see is destruction it really makes you stop and realize how lucky we are to be alive.
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2011, 04:03:36 PM »
Hey, anyone working in Joplin is welcome to come by the church building at 26th and Connecticut (church of Christ) and meet me.  I think it's important to stick your head above the waterline every once in a while and take a breath.  Why not shake each other's hand.  I will be unloading a truck tonight before curfew, and I should be there all day tomorrow, coordinating work teams from various points in the good old USA.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2011, 04:27:29 PM »

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2011, 06:40:12 PM »
Thanks for your hard work, DianaGail.  It's been great to have people helping others in Joplin.  We have been moved to see complete stangers come to our house and saw on our trees or drag debris from our house.  Our neighbors across the street had a church group come yesterday and remove what was left of a large storage building from the property.  They just strolled up and offerred to help, according to our neighbors.  It took them nearly all day, but they got it done.  It's amazing to hear such great stories like these!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2011, 07:48:41 PM »
Its great hearing these positive stories~!    USA!!  United we will overcome!

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2011, 10:58:53 PM »
HB~  I will try to stop in Saturday and meet you.  If not Saturday, definitley next week.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2011, 11:48:01 PM »
That's great.  Our church auditorium, which had to be gutted from water damage, has now been tarped by a kind group from Kentucky, and has been filled with a truckload of supplies from another group in Tennessee.  We have around 50 volunteers (that we know of) coming in tomorrow to scatter through the neighborhood doing exactly the kind of work StacySue described or just letting folks shop from the back of a pickup for supplies we can deliver randomly at the curb.  I'm also going to the KZRG to get the word out in the morning, so listen for me there.  It's a busy time, but I'd love to meet, even if it's just for a short visit.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2011, 10:29:20 AM »
Thanks for the continued updates History Buff!

It is so wonderful to hear all of these stories about so many folks from across the country who have departed from their own daily routines, and have traveled to the area to assist in any way they possible can.

It is comforting to know that even in today’s age, that there are still people out there who will help you up, and dust you off (even literally) in such a devastating time.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2011, 04:41:03 PM »

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2011, 11:17:51 PM »
at History Buff:  My uncle in Kentucky called me to let me know his group was in Joplin helping another church out :)  I spent the entire day delivering food into the heart of the disaster zone for Scottish Right.  After the first trip in, I literally curled up in a ball & cried.  Very emotional first hand.  I'm exhausted...not sure if I'll be back down Sunday, but plan on helping out on my free weekends through the summer.
RIP Chippewa Lake Park