Author Topic: Joplin Mo. Tornado 2011  (Read 26814 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Joplin Mo. Tornado 2011
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 11:04:35 PM »
Thank you for the update, Bobber.  We feel terrible about the loss.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 11:39:42 PM »
Just thought I'd pop in to say that my family is safe.  Our house is a total loss, but we were in Freeman Hospital's basement when it hit.  My husband works there, and we just followed him in for the night shift.   I almost didn't go with him.  Thank God I did.

We live on the east side of Joplin behind the Wal-Mart and Home Depot you've probably seen pictures of.  I was unable to get back to my house until about 11:00 p.m. last night. 

My prayers go out to those who have lost family members.  God be with you.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2011, 07:09:30 AM »
Our thoughts and prayers are with you Stacey, Bobber, and HB and anyone else affected. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2011, 08:32:07 AM »
I have just read the entries since I was last on and I extend my heartfelt and deepest sympathies as well. Good Lord, it's like the world is caving in. Now, here the weather people are saying today and tomorrow are primed for more storms and tornados!

I have heard from my distant relative and her uncle, who was on the 7th floor of St. John's Hospital is alive and well at a hospital in Pittsburg, Kansas. She also told me that her aunt had went to the cafeteria to get a bite and the tornado hit right when she come out of the cafeteria doors. The force knocked her down and she survived by having a deathgrip on the DOORKNOBS! It sucked out her purse and took her glasses off of her face, but she held on for dear life and rode it out hanging on to the doorknobs. She didnt tell me yet how the uncle survived the 7th floor. But they are both well.
Andymeets1880s

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2011, 09:04:39 AM »
Absolutly amazing to hear the above story.
My deepest deepest sympathy goes out to everyone effected by this terrible storm.
Saying many prayers. My heart is heavy as I read this thread, and others like it on the internet & TV.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 03:11:55 PM »
I got back to my house an hour ago after spending the morning cleaning up for family members.  Here is an update on what I did and saw:

I started my morning at the Bridge, a local youth center.  If anyone is looking for somewhere to volunteer, this is where they should go.  They have so much work to be done as they are a major hub for donations that are coming in.  The Bridge unloaded 2 semis last night and there were many more scheduled to come in today and tomorrow.  My friend Kimber and I took a van load of baby goods to LifeChoices, a wonderful organization that helps pregnant women.  When we were done there, we went to help my cousins go through their belongings.  They were very lucky.  Their house is still standing, but will be a total loss due to the house shifting on the foundation.  Their are many things that are stuck in their walls and ceilings that came from other homes, such as crown molding and 2x4s. 

At one point we took a break and walked to 26th street.  The closer we go to 26th street, the worse it got.  One of his neighbors' pickup trucks was thrown into a field.  The houses on 26th street used to block  your view of 32nd street.  Today I could see all the way to 32nd street.  It is literally flat.  You can see St. John's hospital well enough to see that the windows are broken out.  Sunday you couldn't even see St. Johns from 26th street.  You could hear people calling for friends and family and trying to locate their pets.  It is a horrendous scene that I hope none of you ever have to witness.  All we could was stand together, hug, and cry because it is just devastating. 

Please be praying for the families that lost everything.  There are at least 1500 missing.  This number does include many that just have not been able to contact family yet.  If you know someone that is holding a collection drive and need to know what is needed, here is what I noticed was needed.  If you people running collection drives need someplace to take things, please have them call The Bridge in Joplin, MO.  Officials are worried about sickness as many don't know about the boil order due to lack of communication. 

Needed:
PREMIXED formula.  While any formula is needed, premixed is best.  There is a boil order in place.  Most people don't have homes, water, and if they do have water, they cannot boil it because they don't have electricity. 

Diapers-everything size 4 and under.

Clothes-2T and under are the most needed a t this point in time.

Car seats-must be less than 5 years old (check the sticker on the bottom) and never in an accident.

Medication-Tylenol (especially infant and children), cough syrup, any pain reliever, aspirin

First Aid-Gauze, Bandaids, Neosporin, Rubbing Alcohol, coach tape, anything that can help take care of workers.

Equipment-Many doctors offices lost everything.  Stethoscopes and Orthoscopes are sorely needed. 

If anyone needs information on where donations should be sent, feel free to contact me and I can get you in touch with someone ASAP. 

**Note:  I am not soliciting donations.  I have had many questions from all over the US about these items, so I am just putting it out there as an FYI.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2011, 03:44:42 PM »
Diana, very nice update, thanks for the needed info!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2011, 04:50:24 PM »
Walked into work at the hospital in Springdale, AR last night, discovered our computer system was down. Seems part of our computer services were housed in Joplin. It may take two more days to get our computers back. Found out one of our employees had a seriously sick child and was treated at our hospital, then the child had to be sent to another hospital for additional treatment. They sent the family to Joplin! They apparently were in the hospital there about the time the storm hit. That goodness all are OK. The family was xferred to another hospital somewhere in Missouri, but we don't know where! Did see a handful of tornado survivors at our hospital units in Bentonville and Springdale, and the Rogers hospital saw a few, too. The scope of this thing is wide! It will take a long time for recovery.  :P
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2011, 08:31:12 PM »
Junior-check these hospitals:  McCune Brooks (Carthage, MO), Barton County (Lamar, MO), Children's Mercy (KCMO) and both large hospitals in Springfield.  Those are the three they sent people to for sure in MO.

eagle1

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2011, 09:25:36 PM »
Also go to ozarksfirst.com, they have sites to help find people & get status of people found. Our sister hotels (Baymont & BestWestern were not hit up there & all employees as of today have been located, unfortunately some of their family/friends did not survive). It is my understanding if they have rooms they are helping out including our other sister Springfield hotels; all listed under www.elliottlodging.com if anyone is needing a room. Not sure yet of pricing, just know they are willing to assist. Our prayers are with all of you and anything we can do, let us know.

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2011, 10:24:08 PM »
I cannot imagine how they feel but my heart breaks everytime I see news reports and photographs.  We have only had to deal with the floods but that is just property loss   - you can't get your family and friends back.  I will continue to lift them up in prayers and I am truly sorry for the SDC fans affected personally.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2011, 10:39:58 PM »
We confirmed the loss of two other church members today:  husband and son to the good lady I already reported.  Boy was a junior and was a student in my class when he was in fourth grade.  Now the daughter, who was also in my class, has suddenly been thrust into adult life on her own (She attends a local college.).  I could say more about this fine, fine family.

I am heartbroken.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2011, 11:06:15 PM »
I am so sorry HB.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2011, 11:27:58 PM »
I keep hearing more, and more stories about so many young, and old alike being affected by these storms. It really is just absolutely devastating. I can only hope that this travesty will bring the community together as a large family, and with a common bond, everyone will have the ability to muscle through these difficult times.

Despite these dark storm clouds, the sun will shine again, eventually.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2011, 07:18:05 AM »
HB,  that is just sad.   

I am sure through friends, family and mentors such as yourself she will grow and meet her new challenges. And prevail.