Author Topic: Not feeling the SDC "magic" this year  (Read 3532 times)

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
Not feeling the SDC "magic" this year
« on: April 10, 2011, 09:06:13 AM »
So I know this is blasphemous on this board, but I am just not excited about going to SDC this year.  My husband says it's because our last trip was rainy and cold, but the idea of going doesn't really appeal to me at all.  Maybe I have officially burned myself out.  We always go at least five times a year to get the ornament.  Maybe in the past that was too much?

We talked about going to World Fest Saturday, but I was secretly glad when my daughter was invited to a birthday party instead.  Maybe I'm just bogged down with school and tired in general.  The only World Fest things that sound appealing are the Moscow show and Ecuador Manta, DH's favorite.

Maybe my DH and I just need a "grown-up" trip?   

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Not feeling the SDC "magic" this year
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 09:14:31 AM »
Or take a break.
Nothing wrong with that, 7 or 8 years back I skipped almost 2 years. 
Normally I go 5 - 8 times a year.  You just get going with other things and sometimes taking a break makes you appreciate what you are doing even more.
Moderation is a good thing.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 01:03:11 PM »
I think many of the fans have trips like that.  It seems we have so much of our money and our interest invested that we expect perfection each time.  For me, a single thing, like a plastic water hose and a modern sprinkler, can ruin the whole mood of my visit.  But then we'll hit a good trip where everything is alive again for us.  I've gotten to where I have to find one thing each visit that I had not noticed before, and when I find it I consider it treasure.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 01:23:11 PM »
I think we all know that burn-out feeling StaceySue. My girl could'a went for free all last year by turning 50, but we only went 1 time cuz we was burned out. Going every year for the past 7 years & trying to change things up can get hecktic. Defantly not like the ol' days of just going on a whim.
We dont stay all day anymore, usually leave the park around 3-4pm & go to Branson & enjoy it before everyone gets there. Eat & back to motel, & to bed early. We are gunna try this year to take afew people that aint been in forever, or never. Have a trip planned for Apr. 30 for a half a day, & Sun. for most of the day with my parents. May even go to Springfield for some dirt racing. We are looking forward to Seeing some WorldFest shows, & we aint into shows.
To me, its away from everything, & thats all that matters to me. ;)   
Live life like it's the last day!

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 01:26:54 PM »
We are gunna try this year to take afew people that aint been in forever, or never.    
I have learned that taking people that have never been to SDC before, makes my trip a lot more enjoyable; I love to see SDC through their eyes for the first time. Course finding those rare folks that have never been is a tough thing to do.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 01:33:23 PM »
This is another great idea.  We like to go with new people and just let them take the lead.  Of course, we'll help them get where they want to go, or we'll help them get to a show on time, but we let them wander through at their own pace.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 05:03:41 PM »
I also understand. but to me like how-do, the branson thing is a get away! SDC is a BIG bonus of course!

We do branson as a whole expierence.  Its nice for us.

As my sign on name states I also Play in the sand hills, but with fuel for cars,trucks,buggies,bikes...I dont see too many trips south this year.  SOO.........

My business is very "busy" and retail orientated, so a weekend away is always a good thing!

I dont have the luxury of knowing the citizens as some of you, but that would be nice. I am going to look for terry this weekend. After seeing his picture the other day I know who is. I have just never introduced myself. Since he is familar with this group, I feel like he might remember me.

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »
Thanks everyone for listening to my whining.   :)

I would take a break next year if I could convince my husband not to get passes.  My mother-in-law gets them for us for Christmas, so it's nice for us.  I feel like we should definitely go a few more times this year since we have the passes.

I do think it was a crappy last trip mixed with bringing a toddler that is zapping my enthusiasm.  And we do go for half days most of the time.  We either get there at rope drop or come in late in the afternoon.  I've really missed Celebration City these last couple of years.  We really did go to SDC in the morning and CC in the evening with a nice break in between.  Now, evenings are often spent strolling the Landing.

Yes, it is our getaway, too.  I guess right now our getaway is more exhausting than staying home.   :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 07:22:14 PM »
Positive thoughts stacey:

Your toddler will be 1 year older.  maybe ready for HDH be the end of the season next year?

There will be something else top do in 2012, just wait for the announcement.

Next time your at SDC, sit in the shade, smell the asphalt, watch the people walking by. Relax......

Life is good. ;D

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 09:27:20 AM »
I get that sometimes too, I went with my mommy a couple years ago and it poured rain but I couldnt tear myself away ya know and it kinda put a damper (no pun intended) on the rest o the day,,,,,,but on the other hand I get to go with my step mommy this year and she has NEVER been and so yea I am stinkin thrilled to be the one to take her. Whoooooo me!!! So never fear the love you have will come back.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!