Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 271514 times)

sdcforever

Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2008, 10:25:12 PM »
^^Thanks for the pics, orient express!  Wow, the Landing is going to look really different next year.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 10:25:59 PM by sdcforever »

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 01, 2008, 10:31:20 PM »
the merry go round thing is still there, but in very rough shape. nothing is left except what is visable from the main walk way. it was very sad watching the pieces of wood from the landing get torn down
and getting tossed in a pile. i was hoping for a coaster but i could settle for something else.... but watching it get torn down today, i dont know if i can give it a chance

sdcforever

« Reply #182 on: July 01, 2008, 10:46:26 PM »
^I'm all for the revamping of the Landing, but I'm glad I wasn't there to see the destruction.  I have so many memories of the tree house and the play area.

It's cliche, but change is inevitable.  Sacrifices have to be made, and I'm betting that HFE will make this sacrifice worthwhile.

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 01, 2008, 10:49:37 PM »
yea again i like tradition. but i do understand that these things have to be done, i just worry that they are going away from the true spirit of the park( or at least what it used to be) we will see. i will post that video soon though.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #184 on: July 01, 2008, 10:50:26 PM »
^My feelings exactly, but we've gotta give this time. This is why this project is so suspenseful even though we already basically know what's coming. I'm really excited but anxious about what the new Landing will be like and how it will incorporate old with new - god I hope they put in some new ropes.

Someone on another forum was pointing out how this leaves another gapping hole in SDC's attractions during the winter. Now instead of a big play area and 2 favorited rides, this entire area will be packed in the summer and desolate during the winter, leaving weird kind of hole in the middle of the park when the weather doesn't hit right. Surely they've planned for the area to be diverse enough to be usable all year long, but who really knows what it will be like.

I'm still wondering what it will be like to have a dock right in the middle of the city.

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 01, 2008, 11:00:08 PM »
i didnt even think about it in the winter...should be interesting

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #186 on: July 01, 2008, 11:28:49 PM »
I'm not getting the pics, but it's a shame they couldn't use the bobcat after hours - kinda ruins the feel.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #187 on: July 02, 2008, 12:49:56 AM »
It appears that the 2nd photo is from the train - the balloons are in the middle of the photo and then on the left you can see a portion of climb structure is still standing, but not much.

The first photo's location is baffling me.  I think that it is from near the climb structure, but then where's the carousel?
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #188 on: July 02, 2008, 09:25:45 AM »
^Thanks for the help, Swoosh!  I was having trouble placing the second photo...

As for the first one, you're right about the location.  You don't see the carousel because it's already gone.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #189 on: July 02, 2008, 10:49:31 AM »
most of the trees had orange tags  :(

I remember when the Company message was that for every tree cut down, two would take its place elsewhere.  This was a directive from Mary Herschend.  Is this still in line with their conservation and sustainment initiatives?
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 02, 2008, 10:51:59 AM »
I remember when the Company message was that for every tree cut down, two would take its place elsewhere.
That's the last I heard.

I'm sure (I hope) there will be enough trees left in the area to shade this ride - or are falling leaves going to be a problem?

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 02, 2008, 11:09:22 AM »
I found this in the Attraction Ideas thread:

How about revamping Lost River to incorporate the raft scene from "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn"?  Lost River is right by the Landing, and if it was revamped and incorporated into the Landing it would restore some identity to the area.  If they did that other attractions and shops could be added to help Tom Sawyer's Landing regain some of it's theme.

Just had a brainstorm.  They could incorporate the Riverfront into the Landing and hold Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn plays/musicals in the Playhouse and maybe have some costumed characters (and bring back Mark Twain himself) wander the Landing and interact with guests...

Kind of prophetic, don't you think?  sdcforever, what else do you see in your crystal ball?  I would love to see the playhouse idea germinated, too.  If they were really thinking about it, the Happy Frogs could be moved to area and renamed the Jumping Frog of Calavares (sp?) County.  This ride has a small footprint and would fit with the theme while at the same time opening a small area of the Expo for a different kiddie ride.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 11:12:26 AM by History Buff »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 02, 2008, 12:34:32 PM »
It's a shame they couldn't use the bobcat after hours - kinda ruins the feel.

They used on on TGS during hours as well.  I know that the Wilson's Farm area is a little more hidden, but... oh and they also used one over at the Powder Keg area during hours as well.
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #193 on: July 02, 2008, 05:57:27 PM »
I found this in the Attraction Ideas thread:

How about revamping Lost River to incorporate the raft scene from "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn"?  Lost River is right by the Landing, and if it was revamped and incorporated into the Landing it would restore some identity to the area.  If they did that other attractions and shops could be added to help Tom Sawyer's Landing regain some of it's theme.

Just had a brainstorm.  They could incorporate the Riverfront into the Landing and hold Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn plays/musicals in the Playhouse and maybe have some costumed characters (and bring back Mark Twain himself) wander the Landing and interact with guests...

Kind of prophetic, don't you think?  sdcforever, what else do you see in your crystal ball?  I would love to see the playhouse idea germinated, too.  If they were really thinking about it, the Happy Frogs could be moved to area and renamed the Jumping Frog of Calavares (sp?) County.  This ride has a small footprint and would fit with the theme while at the same time opening a small area of the Expo for a different kiddie ride.

Well, gazing into my crystal ball I see a new coaster, looks like a woodie, going into the area beyond TGS.  But that won't be until 2010 at the earliest.  I also see other things out there as well, perhaps an entire new area with a second train depot.  Of course, my crystal ball could be completely off base.  I asked it if this will definitely happen, and it said "Concentrate and ask again".  So I did and it said "Most likely".  We'll see what happens. ;)

Back to the 2009 project, I like your idea of moving and renaming the Happy Frogs.  It would definitely fit with the Twain theme.  I also really hope they have some sort of Tom and Huck plays/musicals for the Landing.  Overall, it'll be interesting how they theme the area, with a river ride right in the middle of the city.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 02, 2008, 09:53:08 PM »
You keep saying "right in the middle of the city" but this is nowhere near Midtown which IS the middle of the city.  The Landing is on the outskirts of town and in an area where there is already water -- the lake -- so it's not like it's going to be that big of a deal.
SWOOSH