Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 271505 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
SDC's 2009/10 Project
« on: March 23, 2008, 03:39:42 PM »
(Admin note: I cut this out of the 2008 project thread when it moved to 2009 discussion)

I suppose the Culinary School will be themed as a part of the Grand Exposition, due to its location.

If anyone visits the G.E., go over by the butterfly ride and look through the fence.  There are some fresh ribbons in the trees that may mark the location of a new attraction (wooden coaster?).  There is plenty of room in this location for a coaster to sail through the trees, and with the slope of the land, a nice drop could plummet us all down the hill.  I would predict the queue for the ride could be located between the Culinary bldg. and the Wave Carousel, along with a shop featuring Exposition Wear and souvenirs.  They wouldn't have to theme it as much - just keep the G.E. theming.  This would give a major ride to that side of the park and split the coaster riders from the other side of the City.

(I'd also like to see Becky's Carousel and the Balloon ride moved to the area.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 08:35:11 PM by shavethewhales »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 03:55:29 PM »
I thought that area would be a great location for a coaster too. I wouldn’t be surprised if the rides from Tom Sawyers’ Landing are relocated someplace else.

I am not saying this is fact at this point it is only a rumor:
I have heard that the Tree house will come down along with the rope tower at Tom Sawyers’ Landing and a large attraction will replace it. Some have said that a Mystery Mine ride will fill the Landing location.

I wouldn’t mine this, but I don’t want to loose the Tom Sawyer theme. I say, and I have said this in the past, a new Tom Sawyers Landing would be great on the other side of Lake Silver, this would also connect up to the Wilson Farm area creating a new loop. A new theatre that could house large scale shows and a major coaster should be built in this are as well.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 04:05:05 PM »
I like the relocation idea, too.  This opens up the huge Tom Sawyer area for a more relaxing sort of area.  Maybe they could still keep the theme, but retain a parklike atmosphere there.  I'd like to see the Mystery Mine thing, but that's too central for it.  I like ThuNderaTion but that would be the ideal location for it. 

Also in the SDC's 2009 Project area, I'm all for extending the American Plunge.  Those channels used to be used for the Plunge - not just for the Float Trip.  The ride needs to bring back all its theming, the song, and a cave texture could be added to the tunnel (no need for any projections).

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 04:12:25 PM »
Yes, I think the black cinder block walls for a cave was a cheep decision. I don’t remember the song for the ride I would love to hear it. I do remember the falling outhouse and I think that should be reintroduced to the ride and bring back the Jim Owen’s props. I watched the 70s video on Youtube and would like to see those things back in the ride. 

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 05:38:28 PM »
Hmmm, we're really going to have to watch the expo, though I kinda doubt they'd want to put a coaster there with it being so close to the road, and so near Echo Hollow where it would disrupt things.

There have been various rumors sprouting up recently about them re-doing the Landing, but I haven't heard one I like yet. That area really needs to keep its quaint, center-city feel - any sort of new ride would really start making the entire park feel more like a big amusement park than an actual city.

We've talked about this before, but back in 2005 they nearly put the Grand Expo there, and I think it was Mary Herschend who stopped them. Let's hope they keep to their senses.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 06:59:21 PM »
^How can that be when she passed away in 1983?  ???

This type of thread is exactly why I love this forum! The wooden coaster over by the Grand Expo would be a good and bad idea.

Good:
  • It would get more people to the Grand Expo which would help the area.
  • It would put a major ride on the other side of the park.
  • It is the perfect spot for any coaster!

Bad:
  • I think it would interfere with the whole Grand Exposition vibe. The area is more targeted for kids. I'm sure the wooden coaster would be family friendly, but I think it would also look out of place in the Grand Exposition.
  • As Steve said, it might interfere with Expo Hollow.

I think moving Tom Sawyer's Landing to the Grand Exposition in the spot of the supposed wooden coaster area is a better idea. It is more child friendly. In the spot of the old Tom Sawyer's Landing they should put more shops or maybe even a small stage or something for special festival music acts, not a Mystery Mind type dark ride/coaster. As Steve said (sorry to keep saying that), you have to keep the center city feel in that part of the park I think.

The wooden coaster or dark ride/coaster could then go up next to Wilson's Farm and create a loop. The wooden coaster might work especially well in that area because it would be very easy to think of a theme or backstory behind it. The only problem I can think of putting the wooden coaster there would be because of circulation issues.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 07:27:32 PM »
That is the problem with Center City is that it is too quiet. SDC wants people to visit this location and they have tried several different things that haven’t worked. I’m not saying that I am 100% behind a major attraction in this location, but a total revamp is needed.

As for a wooden coaster in the Expo area, it fits the theme quite well; after all wooden coasters were featured in turn of the century expositions. The location would be good because you can see it through the woods. I was worried that when the Expo went in, SDC would loose its hidden in the woods feel. I was told that it is good to see the park from the road because it causes interest. As for Echo Hollow interference, maybe once in a while, but the show starts at park closing. I don’t like wooden coasters, but over all I am convinced that it would work in the Expo.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 07:35:36 PM »
I agree, it's exactly the type of attraction that would have graced the old expositions.  With the same color pallet as the rest of the expo, it would fit in perfectly, and if you look at that area you'll see it's not any closer to the road than the rest.  The Echo Hollow show starts a half hour after the park closes, so that's not a problem.

As for TSLanding, it's not a matter of getting people to visit it.  It's often a traffic jam area as folks pass through from one side to the other.  It needs to be opened up to accomodate traffic.  They could really go all out with landscaping and picnic tables, and they really wouldn't need to much else - SDC's own Central Park if you will.

The area they want to draw people to is the Midtown area, which is above the Landing.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 08:11:41 PM »
No one else here thinks that a huge mega wooden coaster would look out of place in a kid area? I'm sure SDC would find a way to make it work but who knows...

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 08:17:35 PM »
I think a major coaster is what the Expo needs. It would mean the Expo would have a range of rides: Kiddie- frogs, elephants and butterflies, Mild- tea cups, regatta and Galleon Wild- Electro Spin and New Coaster.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 08:23:20 PM »
I don't think it's totally a kiddie area.  It's more of a family area.  SDC usually doesn't put in anything so extreme that it overshadows the family feel (I'll never ride Mr. Freeze again!).  A lot of kids can't get onto Electro Spin, and there may be some families that will have dad ride the frogs with little Johnny while mom will take a whirl on the GE Coaster instead of waiting for the frogs to end their spin.

BTW, I can solemnly attest that the Happy Frogs are the most intense ride in the park.  Now that my daughter can ride alone, there's another ride I never want to ride again.  Don't believe me?  Wait in line and try it!  Of course, you might look funny if you don't have a kid with you.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 08:27:36 PM »
Yeah I see what you guys mean. I don't know maybe I'm just being stubborn. How much land is available back there for a coaster?

^I loved Mr. Freeze by the way Dale.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 08:30:38 PM »
The area I'm talking about can be seen from the stoller parking area next to the butterfly ride.  There's a great big space there that looks just right, and with the line forming up by the culinary bldg., before you ever get to the Wave Carousel, you wouldn't be fully mixed with the younger rides.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 08:32:50 PM »
Okay, thanks for the info. The best part about putting the wooden coaster over there I think would be that the park would now have a major thrill ride over on the other side of the park.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 08:33:24 PM by Coaster »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 08:37:42 PM »
Meh, I still say that particular area would be too close to Echo Hollow for anything huge - however, a smaller coaster could fit in there.

The park did mention before that the 2009 project would have it's own area though, so I think it'll continue on from either Wilson's Farm or the Wildfire/PK loop.