Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 271566 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #795 on: June 11, 2010, 07:35:17 PM »
Hmmmm...maybe they are trying to preserve it better. When I walked through it a few years ago, it was wide open, people could walk through, sit on furniture, touch things hanging on the walls. Perhaps too much handling has resulted in damage? I know the McHaffie Homestead had a big wooden cage like thing at both doors to only let you go in a few feet and look around. During my time on park it was kept that way unless it was spring or fall festival time, and then they brought in ladies who quilted in there. I was glad to see that the "static" way they preserved it was tossed out the window when they began the Front Porch Pickers and Aunt Judy working in the cabin with music and stories. It's much more fun and entertaining and educational to walk through the building and visit with the citizens who are there for the purpose of music, stories, and so on.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #796 on: June 19, 2010, 01:20:02 AM »
I may be wrong, but I believe the elevator to the "treehouse" at the RB was moved from the Wave Carousel.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 19, 2010, 01:53:18 PM »
I followed a man into the restroom at the Playhouse (not followed, but just walked in after he did).  He promptly stripped his shirt, exposing his hairy body to anyone around, and held it in front of the big ventilation fan to dry it.  I'll bet that hardly ever happens in the ladies' room!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 19, 2010, 02:04:04 PM »
If it does, I'd like to see it! (Ha!)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 03, 2010, 01:23:12 AM »
For those of you that have been wondering what it was I was saying about Birdle's cabin being gated....here are some visuals

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: July 03, 2010, 08:44:04 AM »
I guess when I walked through the cabin a few years ago, it had just recently been relocated and erected...it did not have any morter between the logs. They have fixed things up considerably. The barrier is probably there so visitors don't toy with the furnishings too much. This is the way the McHaffie homestead used to be. A static and mostly unused structure. I was so glad to see the last few times I came through SDC that the homestead, school, and church were utilitzed in an open, educational way. The schoolhouse in my day, when located where the furniture factory is now, was closed all the time except for one season at fall crafts festival when it was used as a display area one year, and then later for storage for some of the craftsmen during fall festival. So much more satisfying to see these old structured put to good educational use. My guess is Birdle's cabin might be better utilized in the future.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 03, 2010, 10:03:54 AM »
One OSHA health topic I saw was the "wallpaper" has begun to mold pretty badly, it can be seen in the photos. I have a feeling that this is not "good" mold. I at one time had a flodded basement and had to take out the wet drywall to avoid the dreaded black mold...Not saying this is that stuff...I'm Just sayin' it doesn't look good!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 03, 2010, 05:14:04 PM »
I don't know what they can do about moldy newspaper wallpaper except replace it from time to time. I have many accounts in my collection of Ozarks history and folklore books about how newspapers and magazines were used to paper a log house. It kept drafts out, plus the pictures were something for people to look at...really. I seem to remember the wallpapering was done about once a year, as what was on the walls wore out.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 03, 2010, 10:14:24 PM »
I know that in some historic houses, they mount plexiglass over the wallpaper in places, but I think that's to keep people from touching the historic, original sections of the paper.  Unless they install some expensive dehumidifiers and new entrances to help with climate control, how would they keep mold out?  Maybe they can repaper with a few SDC shopping bags.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 04, 2010, 01:08:12 AM »
Replacement would work. but the main issue would be to establish better air quality inside the building firstly by ensuring that the exterior was not allowing the interior wall coverings to become wet/ saturated. At this point, I think that the paper needs to be removed and replaced once the chinking is replaced. I am no expert on this topic, and this is simply my opinion. I am not saying the  stuff there is/ is not good for exposure, but having dealt with flooded basements and drywall before, I have been down this road a bit.

This is a great site that has chinking info.
http://www.permachink.com/

Tony from Tulsa

• Hatfield
  • Reaching tens of people with my music.
    • View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/tony-from-tulsa
« Reply #805 on: July 04, 2010, 11:31:41 AM »
Hi guys. I've been sitting here reading these threads for hours. Truly some knowlegable, wonderful stuff. I don't want to change the subject, but I want to throw this out there: Does anyone have any memories/info on "Huck Finn's Hideout", or as I like to refer to it, "Herman the Hermit's Tree house"? When I was a kid, I went through it a thousand times and had some great memories of it, though they have faded over time. I remember a room that was darkened, but had blacklights and thousands of white pinhole lights that looked like stars in the sky? Anyone remember that? It was pure magic. I'd love to see some pictures from inside if anyone has any. We just got back from SDC last Thursday and as of then, the tree and treehouse are still there, yet still closed. We got some good video of the "ghost trap" at the bottom of the treehouse, though! Being the hopeless, "don't ever change a thing" guy that I am, I wrote a letter to the powers that be at Silver Dollar City imploring them to refurbish the treehouse as it once was. Its my thinking that the park has remained relevant and thriving, not just because of the new rides and attractions, but because of their preservation of the older ones. These things should get handed down to new generations. That's where the magic is. You should've seen the look on my daughter's face when she first encountered the Flooded Mine after hearing about it for years, then getting to experience it first hand. Sorry, don't mean to ramble. Just thought I'd toss this out there to you guys for some thoughts and maybe some pictures.
No matter where you go, there you are.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: July 04, 2010, 12:50:53 PM »
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: July 04, 2010, 01:00:27 PM »
If you check out my Flickr site, I recently posted an article titled "Lost Rides and Attractions of Silver Dollar City" that discusses Jim Owens' Float Trip, Rube Dugan's Diving Bell, Treehouse, Tom Sawyer's Landing, Stagecoach, and mentions some other things, too. Also there are photos of some of those attractions, and other information about the old days at SDC...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan

Tony from Tulsa

• Hatfield
  • Reaching tens of people with my music.
    • View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/tony-from-tulsa
« Reply #808 on: July 04, 2010, 01:15:07 PM »
Wow! Thanks Junior and OklaSDCfan! That's a lot of cool info! Its too bad the ol' treehouse is in the shape its in. I still maintain it could be restored to its original state. That little room with all the "stars" stuck in my mind my whole life. Thanks again!
No matter where you go, there you are.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 04, 2010, 04:43:16 PM »
Tony...this will really blow your mind then....(SPOILER ALERT: READ NO FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING.)

OK:

HERE I GO:

When I worked at SDC, sweeping and cleaning the "Infinity Room" the star filled room you are talking about, was one of my duties. I've been through that room when the work lights were on. The floor, walls, and ceiling were covered in mirrors. Strands of white "Christmas tree" lights were hung ceiling to floor. Weird "space music" of electronic blips and beeps was played over a speaker all day. It was an unusual place to see with the lights on. I'd have to sweep the place out, and that weird music played in my head for hours! At least it was air conditioned...it was nice and cool in there. Many people remember the Infinity Room from their youth, and were in awe and wonder about that place.  ;D